Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Never looked down an automobile's glass pack muffler Dave, but my V-Twin experience tells me that the baffles face away from the engine to reduce backflow or reversion between firing pulses...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. MP&C

MP&C

Louvers facing engine should pull exhaust into packing material, for quieter sound. Louvers facing away from engine would be correct for HEMI installations.. :p

D-Russ, redzula, bengeltiger and 2 others like this.
  3. Lovers open to exhaust flow (like scoops) quiet things down. A fractional amount more restrictive than Lovers closed to exhaust flow,

To my ears, when they are closed to exhaust flow, I hear a sound that's similar to a big zipper and I find it annoying.

4. [​IMG]

Did a little exhaust mock-up today. I made the two brackets that are clamped to the sway bar mount and the one in the back that's held in place by the spring bolts. The plan is to weld some 3/8 stainless round rod hooks onto the pipe that goes over the rear end and insert them into the holes in the brackets with exhaust hanger grommets.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Studebakermatt likes this.
  5. Got a little more done on the exhaust. The tips will come straight out below the spring mount. It's taking forever.

IMG_0617_zpsfb915b0f.jpg

IMG_0621_zpsb3dbabe0.jpg

IMG_0620_zps87f9488c.jpg

IMG_0619_zps258a5558.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. Looks great Dave, it takes time to do good work in tight spaces.
    Have you started thinking that blowing it straight out of some lakes headers isn't such a bad idea?

D-Russ likes this.
  7. Looking good, Dave. Will you finish weld the tubes with Mig or Tig?

8. Thanks Steve. Yes, building lake headers was/is easier, but I'm not running them this time around.

Probably mig, because I don't own a tig.

I'd really like to tig all of it – does anyone want to loan me their tig? Dan? John? Anyone?

9. MP&C

MP&C

Feel free to drag 'em up here... You'd have more time in driving one way than welding :D

D-Russ likes this.
  10. You can use mine here.
    Planning a vacation soon ?

D-Russ likes this.
  11. A tad late, but I flattened out the tube I used for my hangers. Makes it a little easier to weld.

12. More exhaust progress. Symmetry is good.

IMG_0625_zps67857cc9.jpg

IMG_0622_zps43cd8879.jpg

IMG_0624_zps649dd344.jpg

13. greaser

greaser

Looks good Dave. Now, can you get it outta there to weld it up?

14. Of course – each side can be removed in three sections even with the body on the frame. That was one of my design considerations.

15. greaser

greaser

Actually, I had no doubt Dave. Great job running the pipe over the rear end. Really tight in there when you consider the movement involved. Having trouble with my exhaust in that area using a stock x-member. Will probably have to trim the flange slightly.

16. Looking great Dave. As always!

D-Russ likes this.
  17. Nice work, Dave. Keep it up. I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

Ted

D-Russ likes this.
  18. Sweet! Now you can roll up the windows turn on the AC and listen to your classical music.

19. That's right Lee – AC, cruise, power windows ...... Miss Vicky will be very comfortable – just like my new 7 series. And the climate controlled enclosed trailer will keep her clean and shiny on the way to events on the rare occasion that I actually take her cover off and push her out of the garage.

On second thought, I really won't need to install the AC and all those other creature comforts, because I'm really never going to take the car out. I wouldn't want to risk stone chips, or oil and fuel leaks, dirt/grease build up, or heaven forbid an accident. Heck, if I never even put fluids in it, it can't leak and spoil all my fine detailing, right? So I think I'll forgo the AC, etc. and instead invest in a good quality car cover and a new California Duster. That way I can just enjoy Miss Vicky from the comfort of my air conditioned and heated garage.

Oh, and of course I'll continue to play classical music in said garage while I admire Miss Vicky and buff all my gold chains.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    loudbang likes this.
  20. D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

Don't forget lots crying dolls. Since the car won't leave the garage you'll only have to set them up once.

D-Russ likes this.
  22. I got a little more done on the exhaust this weekend.

To keep the pipe tucked up higher than the oil pan on the right side, I had to cut a notch into my trans adapter with a grinder and hand files.

IMG_0629_zpsd22dda72.jpg

Here's what I did for the front hangers/mounts for the front of middle section of pipe. The black painted bracket bolts to the front ladder bar mount. The unpainted stainless piece is welded to the pipe. A 3/8 stainless bolt holds the joint together through an exhaust snap grommet to allow movement as the engine torques.

IMG_0631_zps38b9c3a1.jpg

IMG_0633_zpsdc0545b4.jpg

IMG_0636_zps77014c67.jpg

Had to reduce the diameter of the header turn out down to my 2 inch pipe diameter, so this is what I came up with. (No it's not finished.)

IMG_0638_zps784fafe7.jpg

IMG_0639_zps2379bf46.jpg

Then I tacked together the pipe that goes from the right side header to the second section of pipe.

IMG_0640_zps67ccdb60.jpg

IMG_0644_zps21e474ba.jpg

IMG_0646_zpsd7475286.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. Trailer? cover? Dave!! I'll tell you what....I will come over and drop a screw driver on the frame and chip it so you can then just go ahead and drive it. We all know once it gets chipped you can then sleep better without worrying when it's going to happen...isn't that what friends are for, When do you want me to come up??????

D-Russ and Flamed48 like this.
  24. Come on up anytime, John, but bring your tig with you.;)

Got the cutting and tacking finished up today. Each side comes out in three sections. Gotta teach myself to tig now.

IMG_0650_zps207e9baa.jpg

IMG_0649_zpsc76e06a8.jpg

IMG_0651_zps18615dac.jpg

IMG_0653_zps69ca1799.jpg

25. Pure awesomeness Dave.
    Fit that in there perfect :) When it Looks like there was no room for it

D-Russ likes this.
  26. WOW! very nice work. I know how little room you have under a model A, great job getting the exhaust all up under there
    All your exhaust is stainless right? you are tacking it with a Mig welder right? If so what wire are you using? is it a stainless wire?

D-Russ likes this.
  27. Thanks Steve!

Thanks buddy. Yes, the exhaust is all 16 gauge 304 stainless. I'm tacking with .025 308 stainless wire with a shielding gas mix of 90% helium, 7.5% argon and 2.5 % carbon dioxide.

28. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Incredible, just wow!

D-Russ likes this.
  29. I always heard you were good at laying pipe.