Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A pickup (re) Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott mckelvey, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Driver's side door began. Replaced lower inside, cut the old skin free, still waiting on a new skin.

Chipping away at filling old holes in the floors and subframe,
    stripping paint inside and out. welding the floor panels in.
    Also started the finer fitment of the dash and accoutrements: speakers, heater, stereo, etc.
    Still need to figure out a steering column mount though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. Chipping away at the cap still; nothing pic worthy.

Finished the glove box. Mounts to the original spots on the dash, and actually can be removed with the dash in place. While not "traditional", I wanted a stereo and speakers, so it was a big piece of the dash puzzle since it will be home to the stereo head, but leave enough room on the cowl for a speakers.

Attached Files:

3. Glove box done and speakers tacked in.

Attached Files:

4. It's shaping up!
    I still dig the metalflake dash.

5. I agree, but it just doesn't fit with what i envision.

anyways, finished up the Driver's side A-pillar. I couldn't stare at the top and bottom halves that didn't line up any longer. Also did alot of welding on the outside to get it remotely smooth. Couple of almost-before, and after pics.

Finished the Driver's side rear corner patch. I used only what I needed of a Howell's piece. The fit was fine (i.e. reasonable). I don't love the shape of bead, but I can live with it in the corners. Luckily the subfloor looked good. 1 before and 1 after pic.

Working on finishing the last of the work on driver's side cowl: finish welding the firewall and I had to replace a 6" section where the vertical bead is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Hey, Your back on it!
    I was wondering how it's been going.

Looks like your heading in a great direction. Thanks for updating the thread.

7. Wow, my list is getting shorter (on the cab anyways).

• Finished the weld across the back of the floor inside on the inside of the cab, so I cleaned up the outside around the channel once that was done. Had to add a small patch where the cab was notched to high above the driver's side frame rail. Decided to simply remove the extra sheetmetal because of the channel. Still have to weld everything floor related from the outside and underside, but that will be the last step.
    • Finished the driver's side cowl, including the the welds for the firewall.
    • Almost done the driver's side cab corner. Has to replace a small part of the subfloor rail. And of course the cab corner was only so big, so I have to add another patch to fill the gap.

Attached Files:

8. More paint stripping and misc stuff that's not exciting.

but last night I figured out my windshield swingarms. Drill tapped an existing hole to 5/16-18 for the knobs (no idea what that hole was for, perhaps garnish moulding?). Cut the lower half off the windshield bracket so I could mount it lower on the frame. and had to drill a new hole on the swingarm for said bracket, in order to get it to line up. The relationship b/t the Stud and the lower mount should provide leverage to actually pull the windshield closed and hopefully get a good seal once all the rubber is in. And I welded the brackets to the windshield frame rather than using the rivets.

Attached Files:

9. Inside of cab and gas tank now devoid of the old paint and rustiness.

Passenger side cab corner done, except for the underside, which I'll do w/ the rest of the floor once i flip the cab over.

Decided to go back and cut the rest of the old metal out of the driver's side corner. Originally I left it, but there were a few pinholes that I didn't like. Plus I got to treat the subrail once it was cut out, so at least I don't have to wonder what's under there.

Fixed a couple surprises on the dash.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  10. Got a late start last night but made the most of it.

In addition to some more odds and ends, I finished the corner on the driver's side (again, the very bottom edge will be addressed once I flip the cab over to finish the underside: soon I hope).

Filled the last hole in the floor (finally).

There are two holes on the front of each roof panel. I'm sure they served a purpose but I can't figure out what (there's no access to anything via the holes), so I set to filling them, instead of the bondo before. I only welded in one side and still have to clean it up.

As you can see, the gutters and corners were tack welded pretty throughly with a filler strip here and there (no by me). I'll leave all that stuff be since it appears rust free and physically sound, and then skim over them as they were.

Attached Files:

11. Found a set of old screw holes down each roof panel bondo'd in (thought it was just another pitted area at first), so I filled those little guys and finished the other holes on both halves of the roof.

Finally flipped the cab over to start cleaning up and finish welding the underside. Aside from the rust, nothing was really welded or bolted together aside from some blobby tack welds. and what was welded looked like the really ugly pic below. Basically, I'm fully welding everything (makes for alot of welding). It'll suck if anything has to be removed, but that shouldn't be for another 100 years or so; and the cab should be as rigid as it can get. 3 nights into it and still have a few more to go.

My biggest obstacle is how to enclose the front corners where the subrail extensions were. Sure I could buy new ones for $250, but they aren't going to fit like I want anyways, especially with reversed firewall.

Attached Files:

12. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I found an old but usable subrail extension right here on the HAMB. Put the word out, You may be suprised at what old parts people have lying around...

Attached Files:

13. thought about it. and there's a set in the classifieds now, but like I said, between the channel, reversed firewall, lack of a footboard and the fact that it's no longer even a structural area, there's almost no reason to use them except as fodder. it's just that I have alot of angles, planes, and panels coming together in that area, so it's not as simple cutting a piece of sheet and putting a bend in it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  14. Closer to finishing the underside of the floor (although it probably doesn't look any different in the picture). Got my seat belt mounts in (7/16 fine thread, Grade 8, welded to 1/8 sheet which is the floor).

(small rant/warning) Unpacked my box from MAC's. I'll say this. Took them over 3 weeks to get it to me, when they promised it would ship on 2 different occasions and had no explanation as to why it hadn't. They told me all parts weren't in stock, then that they weren't, then the package arrived w/o some of the parts. Before hand they couldn't tell me about who made some of their sheetmetal parts or go look at them, but I was assured the door skins were "quality pieces". At that time, I also called Brattons and Mike's, and at least they could tell me who made their panels and would look at a part and give me their honest opinion. But MAC's happen to be having a sale on door parts (which as most of my $300 order) and since everybody sells basically the same parts, I order from them. Not again. After all that the door skin was a little damaged. It's not bad and I can fix it, but that's not the point. Not to mention that there's so much tension in it that it looks like a taco. I'm sure it's a Howell's piece because it has the same shitty rectangular bead on the bottom as their other panels.

Attached Files:

15. Lost a week with power outage, record temps, 2 year old, and wife on bed rest. Back at it.

Driver's side door skin done, and door stripped. Put a coat of paint on everything first since it was apart. I had another thread looking for input on where to put the seam. I ended up butt welding about 1/8" below the bottom of the belt line. worked out pretty well. still have a couple of cracks in the corners around the windows that need to be addressed.

Much ospho and cleanup later, I finished the front floor panels and a few odds and ends, some seam sealing, and started getting a coat of primer and some undercoating. Still have a few details to work out yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  16. My to-do list on the cab is getting VERY short, and I like that. here's some before/after pics

• finished the trap doors in the floor and got the underside done and coated, except for the front corners which still needed welding
    • got the last of the rusted screws out of the dash
    • Driver's door=DONE
      • got the rusted machine screws out of the top of the driver's door for the top cover (that was a nights work)
      • all 4 lower corners of window opening on the drivers door were torn up- not anymore
    • chopped and finished the glass cover for the rear window.
    • cut and welded the panel where the cowl/firewall/floor come together. Still have to finish the clean up.

Attached Files:

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really dig you craftmanship! I really dig your re-doing of EVERYTHING.

What i dont get is, why you threw away that cool and different looking grill? And kept that dash?

By the way, what does those 2 items came out of?

Bit i like when people does something different and unexpectet. So by no means change the dash, on my account.

What are your plans paint-wise? Home paint the best you can do, in a Black shade again?

18. Appreciated. I hated the grill (Diamond T); too rat rod, too big, too everything for me, plus I wanted the aesthetics of model A. I loved the dash and the gauges from day one, and still do, but to each his own. It's a '51 or so buick roadmaster if i recall.
    Was planning gloss black all along, but as of lately I've been toying with a sand/almond color and black trim.

19. Scott, did you ever get an answer on the rear supension? I'm working on a '30 tudor and have the same questions.

Oh, I'm with you on the Mac's shipping thing, it took forever for them to ship some stuff to me also.

20. "Suspension"- are you referring to my earlier question about the ladder bars being mounted on the frame rails? If so, I've read and I've read (there's a ton of threads on the topic). my conclusion is that there are a ton of cars like that on the road, and there are some that have failed for one reason or another. Either way, it's sounds like it's not the best /ideal way nor is it the worst way. Sort of like opinions on how to welding in patch panels. I'm on the fence whether I'll change it at this time. Mainly because I'd like to get the body on and enjoy it a little b/c if I start on the frame, one thing will lead to another and it'll be another two years and boat load of money before I even drive it.

Mac's- I don't mind slow shipping. I just want to know ahead of time, and I definitely don't appreciate being told and promised one thing, only to have them drop the ball 2 more times w/ no explanation. That's just business/customer service 101 in my opinion.

21. That is my problem with the suspension question also, so many ideas on the topic and no real rock steady right and wrong. I will just build some ladder bars that mount close together up front and I may use rubber bushings in the front mounts. I was going to use stock bushings that go in front leaf spring eyes from a full size ford like a 1960.
    what do you think?

22. Sidetracked with about a week of illness and a new baby. So who knows what the future will hold as far as getting things done, but here's where it stands now.
    Before then, I got a little done:

• finished welding the floor corner to the firewall. cut out some front feet (still have to cut the floor and weld in), and figured out a pedal/column cover.
    • got the body and bed on the frame to start locking in some mounts and make sure everything still fit as planned. so far so good, except my doors tightened up alot once the floor was done so that'll take some shimming. also offered some much needed visual motivation.
    • cut and threaded stainless rods for the radiator supports (i can think of 800 things i'd rather do than thread stainless).
    • Figured out a plan of action for the bed&floor and started on a few mounts.

Attached Files:

23. Well, new child (combined with the 2 year old) has really put a damper on getting anything done. It's all good though. At this rate what should have taken a week may take months.

First night in the garage in about 2 weeks. Other than some measuring and planning, I at least managed to get my cover done for the brake and steering column. Although I still have to figure out how best to mount it. the raised portion in the middle will hold a thin rubber panel that I'll cut to seal everything up.

Attached Files:

24. sskustoms

sskustoms

Thanks for saving that poor truck !!!!!! lookin good so far

25. So close (to sending to the blaster and painter) I can taste it.

• Bed=DONE
      • finished the patches in the bed floor.
      • removed a bunch of old brackets, filled some old holes.
      • replaced old rivets in patches for a more correct look.
      • Finished and re-installed the Z side panels, including a little clearancing around the rear of the frame where it gets wider. Stripped and painted the inside surfaces before closing everything up.
      • welded in some supports along the sheetmetal edge. these will hold the floor panels as well
      • drilled all my mounting holes for the sub frame
      • put a big ass hole in side panel to relocate the filler for the fuel tank. I was really reluctant to do that, but I couldn't come up with any other way to deal with the filler being in the bed. as i've said, I want to use the bed and it was in the way, not to mention inconvenience of having to move stuff just to fill the tank, or deal with spilled and vented gas.
    • cowl feet- i still need to gusset them, but they are .120 wall rectangular tubing cut in half (at opposite corners). use the stock holes in the frame. I notched the floor to slide them inside and weld to the floor and firewall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  26. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Lookin' Good Scott!!! Hang in there!!!

27. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

hellofa re-build,lookin good

28. 2 young kids=no time=little productivity. but everything is ready for media blasting+epoxy prime. Just need a bigger truck or trailer and a day off to haul it. Tended to tons of little things for which I didn't want to drill/weld/grind/sand after priming. Not very interesting.

• Gussetted the front cab feet for a little added strength.
    • fit the doors
    • Column support/mount in the dash, which also provided much needed rigidity to the dash.
    • Tended to the headlights. Found out they were early original Ford, early 50's truck (I think '51). Flat paint hid alot of little dents that I didn't even know were there, so i bumped those out. And I'm not sure what the element/beam was like, but I welded in tabs to mount 7" buckets. PO put some in w/ a splatter gun but they weren't clocked anywhere close to vertical.
    • started fixing the steering column (know idea what it was). It had some make shift bushings held in w/ set screws and shitty cover up top. Found a flanged bearing that's a perfect press fit at the bottom and will use the stock one up top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  29. Monumental day: rented a trailer and hauled all the sheetmetal to the media blaster to get all the nooks/crannies and epoxy prime everything. While recommended for blasting by a HAMB member, it's a regular body shop and they aren't interested in doing the paint afterwards, but I'm hoping he'll come through with someone that is. Otherwise I'll have haul it back and use my guy here in Baltimore: it would be nice to skip a step though.

And a couple pics of the roller which hasn't seen daylight in over a year. About ready to get some mods now that the body is out. amazing how different stuff looks out in the light.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012