Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 302 & Y blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porky55, Mar 2, 2015.

1. porky55

porky55

Hey guys, I got a question for you ford guys. A friend of mine has a 55 fairlane and 292 craped out. She need to get it running asap. I'm not a ford guy, but I thought a 302 will bolt in, and are easier to find. Is this correct? Will a 302 bolt up the same, without any problems? She wants to keep the factory trans. Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Nope not a bolt in, an easy swap but not a bolt in. The only real bolt in for that car is another Y block.

You are not going to appreciate this but a small block chevy is an easier swap and an old olds or caddy works well too.

3. If it's an automatic, the only motor that will 'bolt up' to it is another Y-block. Ford used different bellhousing bolt patterns on pretty much every motor they built. The closest 'bolt-in' will be a FE motor (352, 390, etc), anything else will need various mods and a matching transmission.

4. 302 has nothing in common with the y block. to my knowledge

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

What beaner said is true.
    Depending where the crossmemeber is you may need to find a "dual" sump ford pan. Nothing but a y block will bolt in or to the trans.

6. porky55

porky55

Thanks guys. Like I said I'm not a ford guy, but trying to help a friend. She won't put anything beside a ford back in it. I'll keep looking for a Y block

7. LOL at least she's not cheap. there was a time that Y blocks were a dime a dozen, I have used lots of them over the years but not today. you may as well as said she won't put anything but $$$$$ back in it. LOL :D :D :D

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Bore centers are the same. They used to machine Y block cranks for strokers in 289s.

9. Not true.... Most FEs can be bolted in, but finding the '58-59 FE exhaust manifolds and Fordomatic/FE bellhousing for the swap will be harder than finding another Y-block.

10. Actually if you got the bucks they make an Australian head for Y blocks that uses 302 components such as intakes and exhausts. it is basically a Windsor head for a Y block. I saw a pair on Kansas a couple of years ago and I was impressed.

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Totally Wrong! You can put in a 289-302 with stock over the counter parts The SBF is narrower than the SBC which helps with steering box and exhaust clearance,the SBC has a rear mount oil filter which makes for more exhaust clearance issues,the SBC has a rear sump oil pan you need a front sump,1965-1979 Mustangs are front sump.If you want the real info you need to be here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/1952-59-ford-social-group.282/ We have a huge "What Fits FAQ" section our members put together to make your swap EZ, The '55 transmission is not a "bolt up" to a later SBF but there are EZ options.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When i put the Y block head on my Plymouth 4 cylinder I looked at the Windsor head. As stated the bore centers are the same as are 8 of the ten bolt holes. Valve sequence is not the same and a custom cam would be needed to convert a 292 to Windsor heads or make a 351 Y block looking engine. But it would be cool I think. engines.jpg

13. porky55

porky55

What's the easy option Jeff?

14. If it a standard shift You possibly could retain the original trans. If its automatic a 302 and C4 isn't too hard a swap. I started out with 55 & 56 fords. I still have a 55 ranch wagon. I got sick of the Boat Anchor Y blocks pretty fast. I always swapped in the FE engines. Mainly 352,s and they where pretty much bolt in. you might want to consider a 6 cyl?

15. If ASAP means immediately the only solution is another Y block. Is her's rebuildable? Can she find a rebuilder that has one in stock?

Charlie Stephens

16. porky55

porky55

The thought was as fast as possible. Y blocks aren't laying around everywhere. Cost is a factor. Was hoping to drop in one in and get it running in a couple days

17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I often see running yblocks on Craigslist. You may have to extend your search a few 100 miles
    I have a 302/c4 in my 55 Victoria. It's worked out well for many years and miles.
    Good luck.

18. j3harleys

j3harleys

302 and AOD is pretty much a bolt in, lots of post on here to help you just start searching. Join 1952-59 Ford social group you will find every thing you need. Part #'s and how to's. What ever JeffB2 says listen to him he probably knows more about this than anyone. The Problem with Y blocks is when your a 1000 miles from home on Sunday or any day and your starter or something goes south on you its pretty much a pain in ass. What ever you chose I hope it goes well for you.

19. Uh I have done both no reason to try and "skool" me. As I recall the SBC was easier of course I may be mistaken.
    I wouldn't know about exhaust clearance issues I have been building my own headers since gawd knows when.