Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '29 RPU - Junkyard Dog

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LCGarage, May 31, 2023.

1. LCGarage

LCGarage

High test 63 and Ragged Edge like this.
  2. LCGarage

LCGarage

Today's haul from the swap meet;

[​IMG]

For the RPU: new SBC shorty pump, small flex fan, mono leaf front spring and shocks. Possibly for the '55 Dodge a dual circuit master cylinder for drums, and yet another old light because I can't seem to help myself. I realize the mono front spring is somewhat controversial, but at this point everything on the suspension is trial and error until I actually get it on the road. I do plan to run a panhard bar.

oliver westlund and Ragged Edge like this.
  3. LCGarage

LCGarage

Talked to the machine shop yesterday, short block is ready to go. No particular problems found, .030 cleaned up the bore and the balanced rotating assembly was saved, although the crank was turned to .020 rods and .030 mains.

High test 63, Ragged Edge and Tim like this.
  4. LCGarage

LCGarage

Went to another swap meet at Havasu 95 Speedway, scored a few more bits for the RPU, as well as a couple wall hangers for the shop;
    [​IMG]
    I had been thinking about using a Vega GT steering wheel, but found this old aftermarket 13" that will work just fine. The harmonic balancer (which I needed) is listed as for a later 283 with cast crank, but can't see how that takes any difference? The single groove pulley was a buck and is a "just in case", same for the alt/gen adjustment bracket for 5 bucks. The front spring shackles should be exactly what is needed on the RPU.

[​IMG]

Fun stuff, the wheel cover is pretty cool, my dad always had covers similar this on his old 47 Chev pickup;
    [​IMG]

We head home in just a few days, I'm chomping at the bit to get out in the shop, with many projects waiting for attention.

:)

OFT, High test 63, Jeff34 and 3 others like this.
  5. High test 63

High test 63

LC, looks like you're getting some parts together for spring! Your new lights look fine. They look like Deitz. Probably 7" sealed beam for the buckets . I have the same ones on my T rpu.

LCGarage likes this.
  6. LCGarage

LCGarage

I think the next step is to find some seal beam bucket and rings like these, then modify them to fit into the headlight shells;
    [​IMG]

These are on eBay, listed as for 73 to 80 Chevy pickup

7. LCGarage

LCGarage

I also bought some used stand alone headlight stands from @hotrodhoodlum;
    [​IMG]

and will use weld on shock brackets, like these I saw at a local car show;
    [​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  8. High test 63

High test 63

LC, I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to adapt any buckets in there. The sealed beams should just be held in by the rings. Loosen the rings, put the lamp in, tighten the ring. Run wiring first of course.

oliver westlund and LCGarage like this.
  9. LCGarage

LCGarage

I need to get a 7" seal beam and just try that. Thanks!

10. LCGarage

LCGarage

We arrive home from snow-birding early next week. Planning to pretty much live in my shop for the foreseeable future. Next winter I plan to bring one of my project motorcycles (cuz their portable) and set up a small shop in my buddies storage unit here. 'Bout lost my mind to boredom this winter.

Beyond the usual "chores" (yard/house), my priorities, at least in the first month or so are;

Prepping a very old Bultaco barn find for Vintage MX, first race is early May
    My wifes '55 Dodge w/440, pulling soft plugs, flushing water jackets and replacing radiator
    FINALLY - back to the RPU project!

Why is the RPU 3rd and not first? Motorcycles and some form of racing have always been part of my life. I rode my last race in '22 and quit due to age and health reasons. After lots of rehab and PT, I'm strong enough to give it a go and will do it as long as I can. So that's important to me.

The '55 Dodge is our summer driver, cruise-in car and has a tendency to run pretty warm. It also vapor locked in a parade last year and momma wasn't happy. Along with the block flush and radiator, changing to a '65 Belvedere rear end for two reasons; emergency brake and gearing. Also upgrading to 2 circuit brakes and better exhaust.

The RPU is a big project and will get lots of attention, just not ALL the attention!

Some pics cuz these little write ups are better with visuals:

'68 Bultaco, bought from the local machinist;
    [​IMG]

First attempt at flushing the 440 powered Dodge in 2023, I've done all the usual stuff, that's why I suspect clogged water jackets;
    [​IMG]

I will put it up on the hoist and pull the soft plugs and get in there with a pressure washer.

Enough ramblings for now...

11. LCGarage

LCGarage

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  12. LCGarage

LCGarage

Today was our second day back home and we didn't waste any time, heading to La Grande and picking up both the 283 short block as well as the latest Bultaco project. This summer will be very busy.

The 283 back home and on the engine stand;
    [​IMG]

:)

13. LCGarage

LCGarage

Ragged Edge likes this.