Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 model A steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jlow, Mar 2, 2009.

1. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

my question is .is there a adjustment on the box someplace as to were i can adjust the play in the steering wheel left to right ..

for example when i put the wheels center and go to turn left or right there is alot of play before the wheels start to turn any help would be great thanks

2. Is it a 2 tooth or 7 tooth box? 7 tooth do not have adjustment (28/29) were as 2 tooth does (30/31)

3. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Chris is right. The only adjustment on a 7 tooth sector is for end play. The worm & sector would have to be replaced if worn too much. 2 tooth sectors have more adjustment similar to later boxes. More wear can be compensated for on the 2 tooth before parts replacement.

4. gashog

gashog

Some of the late 29's came with the 2-tooth Gemmer boxes (I have one in my car). They are actually very good for light cars. The same basic design was used in British sportscars until the 60's. Here is the adjustment procedure from the Model A Service Bulletins. The boxes are adjustable for sector/steering shaft end play and tooth contact. The best you can get for free play is about + 2 inches at the rim of the wheel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    MostlyOldPartsAndRust likes this.

5. jlow

jlow
    BANNED

almost positive its a 2 tooth ..if you look at the box there is 2 screws on top i tried turning them in and out they did nothing theres only 1 other posible adjust ment on the other side wich would be the back of the box on the inside of the frame rail looks like a nut and a bolt is that a adjuster..

6. jetmek

jetmek

those are tricky to get right. the adjuster is on the sector housing loosen the 4 nuts and turn the eccentric nut(the top inner thin one) to bring the sector closer to the worm. make sure you have the steering centered. it should not bind when centered . it is normal for the wheel play to increase as you turn left or right and should be about 1 inch at center. the two screws on top are the filler hole and the worm end play. the one on the engine side of the box is the sector end play.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Get the Model A Manual and do the job correctly.
    There is also plenty of slop possible in the tire rod ends(worn seats, weak springs) and steering balls (out of round, undersized), as well as wobbly kingpins etc.
    Check it all while you're doing the box adjustment WHICH, by the way, is ONLY done with the pitman arm dropped or the drag link disconnected, NEVER with the load on it, NEVER.
    Those that adjust steering boxes without dropping the drag link or pitman arm are the reasons so many older car boxes are junk. The steering box,properly and periodically adjusted and lubricated, should last longer than the car or truck.

8. gashog

gashog

Sounds like you have a 2-tooth box (the one screw on the top is the fill plug). These boxes are actually 4-way adjustable. I attached the pages from the manual on how to adjust the Gemmmer boxes in my post above.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

according to the model a experts;
    there is only 1 way to correct the model a steering;

"Take it out of the Car"

i have a dvd on adjusting and total rebuild

i'll loan it to you or you can go to:

www.diabloas.com

sunny