Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '29 Ford STEELBACK Build & The Chris Piscitelli Sketch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Major UPGRADE in the parts pile! Check the Classified section, I'm selling all FOUR Doors and the garnish mouldings. The photos above from Hershey are better quality than the ones I just took. Bob

2. Man, this will make a killer hot rod. HRP

[​IMG]

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I completely agree, but it sounds like Bob is parting it out. Or did I misunderstand??

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ No, I'm upgrading what parts I have, this project is getting more attention than the Roadster right now. Bob

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is good to upgrade the stuff you plan to use in a build. The Blindback section, gray cowl, visor and hood are all I'm keeping, if I could shrink the photos my new camera takes to fit on the HAMB I'd post them. Bob [​IMG]

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Major upgrade arrived yesterday. Bob [​IMG]

7. Bob,that looks like a nice solid body,looking forward to watching this one come together. HRP

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Me too, the doors are the best part, they look like ones you would have found in 1935, strip, prime, and paint. Job one is to cut the '31 cowl and back section off and have them ready to deliver to Hershey next month.YES, they are for sale! Need to find some missing bits, body side hinges for the drivers door and one rear door. All the regulators and latches for the front doors are missing. This was a restorded car years ago that the owner upgraded to a better body, this one is perfect for my needs. I was looking at the sketch Chris did with the slanted posts. I didn't have any roof parts or the wood framework, then it just hit me, I needed an all steel '31 Slant Window body shell. Found this one an hour from home. Now I have to reread the Russ and Scooter body modification posts. Bob

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Everyone likes to see "As Found" photos. [​IMG]

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Removed the late '31 firewall and cowl and test fitted the '29. Next step is installing the front doors to align the belt moulding. This was a good day, the visor looks great. Bob [​IMG]

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Today is the day I carefully mark the Slant Window rear section and cut it off. Hope to sell it before Hershey, if not it comes along for the ride.

[​IMG]

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

14. Bob put it on the Barn! Or make a cooler for Hershey!:cool:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Both dog legs and the inner fender wells are the worst part of the Slant Window good thing they will be cut away. Big problem is both rear sections will have to be well braced before they come apart. Carefull study will save making corrections later, all I did today was finally figure out were the cuts get made. Now I have to fab the brackets and braces that keep things together. [​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  16. Great to see you making progress on a project Bob and really like your build plan, will tag along on this one. JW:)

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've even changed my avatar to go with the project, I'm having a lot of fun with this now that I have a good core and like new doors. Getting the back removed is job one right now. Bob

18. Too cool and its all about the fun factor. JW:)

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] The '31 body is all steel framework with a few wood tacking strips for the upholstery, the '29 is all wood framework with the tin tacked to it. Taking my time and cutting things to reuse the steel will make for a nice strong body with doors that close like a vault. Doing neat cuts will make things a bit more easy for the guy that puts the cutoff section to use. Bob

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Just found this photo on another HAMB thread, gives an idea of what got this whole project started. Doors are too tall, but you get the overall idea. Bob

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My dad's got that exact photo in Johnnie Green's Bentley book, which is a resource I can recommend to anyone who is into this sort of thing. There have been a few editions since 1969, so it's not all that hard to find.

How did I miss this thread for a whole year? Subscribed.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Ned, I've always enjoyed your posts on the HAMB. I may be building this car because I regret selling a 1933 Lagonda years ago. Do you know of someone that may be making what I call helmut style front cycle fenders? Bob

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've been mulling over all kinds of ideas for making some, as my near-moribund '31 project has been moving in that direction. I've considered pulling glassfibre moulds from everything from inflated inner-tubes to plastic washtubs; though the proper way would be to pay BarryA to hammer me a set out of aluminium.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've listed the back section of the Slant Back body in the Classified section. Free delivery to HERSHEY or you can inspect and buy it there. Bob

Attached Files:

25. Squablow

Squablow

Cool project. If you have trouble selling that back section at Hershey, cut it into sections and sell it on eBay, I just sold a really rough one there and it brought decent money. Make the back window area separate from the quarter window sections as two listings. Guys cut that stuff up and use it to convert sport coupes into closed roof coupes and also extended cab pickup trucks, you'll do good.

Looking forward to seeing this come together, has a cool coach-built vibe.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Got the left rear quarter cut off finally and left all the inner structure in place. Right side comes off Wednesday in time to make a trip to Hershey. Just nicked my thumb with the cutoff wheel, that gets your attention! Bob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Got the unwanted stuff off the '31 Slant Window body, the small bits of wheel wells still have to come off. This is all steel, the wood kit for the '29 would have cost $3,716, plus a good year of my time. Sandblasting and epoxy primer after Hershey and I'm on my way. Bob

Attached Files:

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Top wood comes out this weekend.[​IMG]

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've desided the body will sit on '32 rails........this it the photo that convinced me. [​IMG]

Graham08, 30tudor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Best A sedan that I know of!:cool: I thought you were building a roadster?:confused: I guess you can have more than one hot rod:rolleyes: