Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28 Chevy Dry Lakes Roadster: A Build Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteFromTexas, May 8, 2011.

1. aursulak

aursulak

Very cool! I just picked up a 1928 Chevy coupe that my daughters and I are transforming into a highboy roadster. I just found a Chevy 95' S10 10 bolt rearend and half to pick up a pre 1975 350 4 bolt main and a 700R 4 speed to install before winter.

I have everything stripped off frame and pulled engine and about to have frame blasted, box the entire frame, apoxy primer, install the rear end and then front end (I have been buying piece by piece all chrome So-Cal front end suspension.

Please stay in touch I would love to watch your progress.

Best Regards

Aaron Ursulak
    [email protected]
    Leduc, AB Canada
    780-782-2121

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Wish you were closer, aursulak- I could use those engine side pans :)!

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

No not much progress. Still gathering parts and working on my 53. I'm going to start working on it real soon.

4. updates??? cool little car!!! coming from a ford guy, there's a bunch of really cool early chevy builds going on!!! subscribed!

Joe

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Me --- also builing 1928 chevy

235kid (anyone?) --- how did you remove the running board brackets?, (I grinded the entire outside head off one rivet, but i could not punch it thru?)

Mac Yankee --- if you need stock sheet metal engine pans for each side, I have them.

6. ...this is a cool project, any updates? I like your outdoor warehouse.

7. 1928chevycoupe,

YES- I do need side pans, if they're usable!

When it comes to rivets, sometimes the rivet will "double mushroom", and you'll get a second bulge (especially on things like the running board brackets) ... probably why you can't hammer them through.

You'll need to get the bracket off and regrind/drill until you can tap the rivet through the frame, OR try drilling the rivet (like I did) to give the material some room to shrink when you try tapping through.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I just heated them slightly. And tapped them out.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. bct

bct

i ground flush and drilled mine ....the steel is easy to drill . nice and soft..... then a couple pops with the air hammer.

10. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Mac, I think they are usable, but your PM mailbox is FULL, email me and they are yours for FREE, just pay shipping!

Mike

11. Will do Mike- thanks again!

12. Mike, PM sent and thanks again!

235KID, sorry for the thread theft- looking forward to see your progress!

Oh, and I just picked up some 21" GM wire wheels for my speedster, and will share pics when they arrive :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Hey it's all good. This project is on hold at the moment anyways.

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Funny reading those taking off the running board brackets posts. I just did that today on a '29 Chevy frame. I ground the rivets flat on the inside and tapped them out. Tired of banging my shins on them.

15. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Yeah man. Banging shins on those stupid things SUCKS!

16. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Any progress yet? I'm finally gearing up on my 29' roadster.I still need a windshield :'(. Sold my 29' Chevy coupe body last week. Too much to try building 2 at once!!!!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I wish. It's on the back burner. I am still getting parts here and there as time and money permits. I'm still looking for body parts. Decklid, doors, lower rear panel and the panel above the decklid

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Looking forward to seeing the progress once you get back on it.

19. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

i got the same frame as you for my 27 t. I bought it at a auction for 30 dollars i think over all it's like a midget 32 ford chassis. Not as thick top to bottom but flows the same. I'm going to channel my body so you wont really notice what it is. Got the same 35 front axle. Don't know my wheel base yet.
    Awesome thread can't wait to see it done.

Also i like those spring hangers that are for the front axle. those will work out great for wishbone mounts.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I just found this

Hey kid, can you fix the phot lkn.
    I would like to see more pics.