Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '25 T Roadster Sports Rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

So to prove that with enough caffeine, sugar, drugs, and downright pissiness, I can be productive in the garage!!!!
    I have just crashed, so I'm hoping I will sleep tonight.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  2. hasty

hasty

It looks like pissiness is working...

3. AmishMike

AmishMike

in the pictures of post 151, 2nd picture shows little tab above heim - what it the purpose? Great build - stick with it. Prey for new meds & stick it out.

4. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The main plate, that takes the shock brackets, is 1/4" plate. The bracket for the Panhard bar hiem, was made out of a short length of 2"X1", 1/8" wall. I curved the open sides to allow for movement up and down of the Panhard bar. You can see it in the first picture. If you look closer at the first picture you may just be able to see the partial cut from a cut off disc. I weld the box to the main plate, then cut the corner off. That way the box held its integrity whilst I welded it. If I cut the corner off first, I suspected it would deform. I had to cut the corner off the 2"X1" so the axle gusset would fit flush up to the main plate. I will take a picture looking into hiem tabs tomorrow, which would probably explain better than I just did!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Got it.. Now see how you kept box shape & still got stronger angled piece to fit tight. Nice work. Tks much.

6. Love this build, been following, you are quite a guy Stewart, wishing you the best!!

7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Excellent as usual! You have such a great talent for making things both functional and beautiful!

8. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I, too, have been following this build and want to add my prayers & positive thoughts for you and your family. Keep building and fighting. Wish I was close enough to offer more than moral support.

9. metal man

metal man

Well,Stewart, that is not the news I was hoping for. You have the right attitude though. I HATE cancer. Damn it.
    Anyhow.... I wish I was closer ,but I meant what I said last month in regards to help. If you can ship any part of this down to me, for TIG welding or whatever, do it. No charge. And Nathan and I WILL be in Wilmington and ready to crew.
    Stay strong , friend.

volvobrynk and loudbang like this.
  10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Pretty "Snappy" looking project there Bud !....... Would love to see it in person !

11. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

We can probably arrange that, only if you're nice though!

Harms Way likes this.
  12. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Made the rear lower links. Had a friend make the bushings, that I then welded through the frame rails. Made gussets for them, and tacked those onto the frame. Then welded the lower link mounts on the axle.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

13. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The rear suspension is finished. I ended up going with coil-overs. Packaging was becoming an issue, and time is of the essence. Put a Panhard bar in too. So with that done it was time to get it off the table. A couple of bum-puckering moments, but its down. This is ride height. Just need to bolt the front suspension on. Just realized, I meant to throw a cover over the OT engine when I too the picture, sorry.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

14. A Boner

A Boner

Looking great.....keep up the good work!

15. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Got the roadster in to its "bay", and that was all I was good for. Lisa and Hannah came home and caught me taking it for a test drive :). Lisa took a quick shot of Hannah with me with the dumbest of expressions on my face, oh well! Good job Hannah gets her looks and brains from her Mum!. Felt good to get it off the table, but I'm done for a while.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Very nice Stewart. So how's the leg room?

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I'm only 5' 9". The leg length is OK, the foot room is snug wearing steel capped boots, so with hand sewn Italian driving moccasins it should be fine. Good job work boots work, coz there's no way I'm gettin the moccasins! I did remake the drivers side of the transmission tunnel to create a bit for extra leg room. I actually cut a rather loud shade of green piece of card yesterday, taped on the side of the transmission cover to get a better sense of it all.
    Pedals are next, as this will establish the M/C. Which in turn dictates the exhaust manifold. It's like playing bloody chess, always thinking 10 moves ahead. I'm bloody useless at chess:(.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like where you are going and how you got there!

I agree on the chess part, I usual tell it like: do you remember the puzzles from when we kids? 9'spots make a picture, one is a blank, and you can only move the one "tile", but it's doable it just takes some time to do it. And that how all the task in a project goes; engine, trans, frame, suspension, body, wirring and misc.
    And then it goes when you match all till each other. Same story, same trouble. But keep to it, lad.

loudbang likes this.
  19. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I really like your car. My TR3 had the same problem with the foot boxes. I have finally gotten things moved around so work boots fit but driving mocs work a lot better when you get in and out of the car and during driving chores like quick braking and down shifting. Keep up the great work.

Greg

20. t-rod

t-rod

All builders of Model T roadsters know about getting 10 pounds of sugar into a 5 pound bag!

Sent from my SM-G386T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Started on the pedals. Bought the gas pedal from So-Cal, just needed to sand the edges, and chamfer the holes. I set to make the others in the same style. Started with the clutch pedal first. Drew the template on paper, transferred it to 1/4" plate, and used my plasma cutter to get the rough shape. Sanding was next, then laying out and drilling the holes. The steel tube, phosphor-bronze end bushings and shoulder bolt were left over from some project.Wasn't sure if I was going to have to step up to 5/16" plate for the brake pedal, but the clutch pedal is heavier/stronger than it needs to be, so I will stick with 1/4". That's next. Cut out and sanded the pads, but need to mark some "lightness" yet.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  22. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Damn Stewart. Looks awesome, you've got some skills.

23. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Thank you, but really no more than most on here.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

24. dechrome

dechrome

Just a little inspiration. Duffy Livingston showing them how.
    deChrome 100_1254.JPG 100_1251.JPG

kiwijeff and Blues4U like this.
  25. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I am going to race the roadster with the ECTA in Wilmington. I had considered getting my helmet painted red with white spots in a sort of tribute to Duffy. His car was an inspiration in my build. I like to think it's how his car MAY have ended up if he kept developing it, sorta-ish.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

loudbang likes this.
  26. metal man

metal man

Nice job on the pedals. Most of the time, lightening holes are for aesthetic reasons, but not here. Love it.

27. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

To be totally honest, I just like the whole look! And I'm trying keeping everything down in weight. I'm sure the time sent working out the sizing, proportions, and spacing, of all the holes on the parts I've made, could have been better spent at the gym losing a few pounds! But they look so pretty :) It's like that question you never want to have to answer "does my arse look big in these jeans?"
    Mine is " do these holes make my car look lighter?"
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Ned Ludd and loudbang like this.
  28. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Both pedals made, just need welding.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, bct and bengeltiger like this.
  29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Swerving through corners in a Hot Rod, .... doesn't get any better than that. We need to see more of these style of 'Sports Rods'.
    God Bless brother !

Ned Ludd likes this.
  30. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Pedals look great. Liking the progress!