Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 pontiac gto frame---What interchanges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyard junky, Sep 8, 2008.

1. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I've found some frame rot on my 64 gto/lemans convertible. I plan on swapping the frame. I was wondering what years would work? I know that the convertible frames are a bit larger(beefier) than a 2dr hardtop. Would a 65 be the same? I've tried to look here on the hamb but haven't came up with anything. Any help would be appreciated?:D

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. chopped

chopped

The Skylark is supposed to interchange. Check Skylark on the Bay, Usually some guy is selling frames. Overpriced but you may find what changes.

4. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Thanks for the link! I tried to look up gto but kept on getting forums for the newer body styles. The internet has been crappy at the house lately. Anyone else?

Where I work at during the summer has old Hollander manuals. I just need to go back and find one.

5. My good deed for the day. According to my Hollander: All 64-66 Tempest/GTO convertibles, All 65 Buick Special Gran Sport, All 66 Special Gran Sport and all Convertibles.

No additional information regarding other similar years, models of GM A-bodies. Surprisingly no mention of Olds F-85/Cutlass.
    I reckon if you are really in need it might be possible to modify other A-body frames. I'm sure it has been done and there are GTO folks out there that can walk you through it.
    I know that the convert frames weigh more and have an x-member to compensate for the stiffness that a hardtop provides.
    Good fucking luck.

6. Anderson

Anderson

From what I know...

'64 and '65 are the same across the A-body board for wheelbase, width, and length.

'66 and '67 might fit but I think the tail end of the frame under the trunk and around the gas tank is a little different.

Station wagon (and el camino) frames are boxed instead of c shaped between the front and rear ends.

I don't remember any differences in wheelbase between 2-door or 4-door.

But.....I've been wrong plenty of times before!

7. Squablow

Squablow

How much rot is in your original frame? Can it be fixed? Would be a shame to swap out the whole original chassis just because it has a few holes in it.

If it's totally wasted, consider buying a clean rust free 2 door hardtop frame and cutting the boxed sections out of your convertible frame and welding them into the hardtop chassis. The frames are the same thickness of steel, they just had pieces added to them for additional strength. I've done it and it works well.

Going to be tough to find a rust free convertible specific frame, any 64-65 A-body convertible that has a clean rust free frame is a car that's worth fixing.

8. k9racer

k9racer

Several years ago I took a non boxed frame that was straight and added the convert boxed sections. All the converts I have seen were boxed from the factory. Also uses a trans cross Member that is shorter and for converts only.The reason for boxing is less twist in the frame and added weight to lower the center of gravity. Years ago this frame was the hot set up on the round track. Ed Howe used up just about all of them in Michigan and surounding states. on 64 thru 67 wheel base same on pass cars both 4 dr and 2 dr.115 WB And the 68 thru 72 2dr is 112 and the 4 dr is 116..

9. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

shoot a pm to draggin'GTO here if he doesn't pop up on this thread. i'm sure he'll have some ideas for you. you'll find him at the performance years forum too, listed as b-man.

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Here's the poop...

2 door and 4 door frames are different. The 4 door is 4 inches longer.
    Convertible and hard top frames are different. The convertible frame is boxed.
    Chevrolet [chevelle] and Oldsmobile [F-85, cutlass] use a different frame from the GTO/LeMans. Different body mount locations and different in the trunk area.

As stated above by Benzine440, the only frames that will work are another pontiac convertible from 64-66, or a buick convert or GS from 65-66.

Exactly how bad is the frame? Your best bet might actually be to repair what you already have unless it's totally swiss-cheesed.

11. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

k9racer is spot on.

Drop tops are boxed from the factory to make up for the lack of support that a hard top would have.

64-67 are the same although a little bird is telling me that what Fidgiter says about having a different tail section might have some merit.

Paul Zazzarine (sp?) has a book out that is almost the "Bible" when it comes to GTO's.

Keep in mind that there are numbers stamped into the rear of the frame. If you're gonna be a purist.

How bad is the rot? Pics?

12. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

The spot that I found could be fixed but someone before me has tried to repair the frame sometime before and made a mess.

so 64/65 lemans/gto converts are the same and
    65-66 buick gs?

13. monsterflake

monsterflake

14. 416Ford

416Ford

15. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I called about the convert since I have a 64 catalina also. He actually bought the car down in memphis, tn. The frame is going to be different. Too far to get any parts for my catalina.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Check a camino frame it might work and is stronger

17. I don't know what fits what, but this post reminded me of a car I saw near a wrecking yard about 30 years ago. The guy was the owner of the wrecking yard, and had about a '64 El Camino that he had put the whole front end of a ~ '64 GTO on it. It looked like it bolted right on and didn't look half bad. It kind of made you do a double take when you saw it coming and it turned from GTO to El Camino as it drove by. I asked the guy about it and he said the front end "bolted right on".

So maybe add '64 Chevelles or El Caminos to the list of possibles, although I'm guessing an El Camino probably has a heavier frame like the wagons used.

18. As I understand it, through 1970 GM allowed each division to use their own front and rear suspension, even though the bodies might be the same/similar. Not that each division used their own suspenders, but most did during the post-war period.
    So, it may be entirely possible that other 'A' body convertible frames will interchange, but the suspensions will be different.
    It may be that you might need to move a body mount or two, but the basic frame should be the same.
    As to front sheetmetal, that usually does 'bolt-on, as the doors and cowl, being the most expensive parts to engineer, are the most likely to be the same/very similar between divisions.
    Cosmo

19. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I found a 64 gto parts car locally. Going to check it out friday.

20. monsterflake

monsterflake

let me know what's usable, i've got the same pair in my garage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Also, if you try to swap stuff from a later frame for patchwork you'll likely find that the Pre-1966 rear springs (pockets) are different (smaller) than the later ones too.

Al in CT

22. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

As soon as I find something out I will let you know.

I've found a 64 tempest frame.

23. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

You know wha sucks,I was selling a 65gran sprt ragtop framefor years,tried for $50 until last month.Even had it on here.That and a 37 poncho frame.Scrapped them at the end of aug,no one wanted them.Damn that makes me mad!

24. zbuickman

zbuickman

first off where to start.... look at my AV...... most replies were in the ballpark but not the whole deal here it is

ALL 64-67 2 door a-bodys will work(If your not doing a concourse resto)and you can weld / fab... read on

now the differences

Boxed frames came on verts, El Caminoes and glass roofed wagons......

ALL others were standard (unless previously changed)(Its a wives tale that HT GS's got the boxed frames)

other than the frame horns on all four corners they (all body styles)are the same dimensionaly 64-5

66 2 doors and El Camino's fit in the above as well

67 2 doors and El Camino's fit if you use 67 and up rear springs. the spring perches are smaller than previous years and require the tapered spring.

There are other differces like tranny crossmember issues and the like that are not significant(but are to a hollender interchange(junk))

Again all will work with minimal fab skills:)

good luck

also as mentioned check out http://www.performanceyears.com

PM me if you have any other Questions:)

25. five five

five five
    from SoCal

Time to install a back seat (family reasons) in my street/strip '66 Elco.

I'm about to receive a '64 LeMans post car, very nice condition to supply the rear seat.

I'm hoping I can just do the 'ol lift-and-switch body swap, since the elco is essentially a brand-new car underneath (roller rat, TKO-600, Dana 60, full Global West, Wilwood, etc etc. and has a very nicely seam-welded / factory boxed frame holding all that stuff together.

Opinions from people smarter and more experienced than me are very welcome !

Thanks

Eric

[​IMG]

26. Temory

Temory
    from Hampton

Do you know if it's possible on a 67 gto convert. To repair the body mounts behind the rear wheels without taking the car off frame?

27. k9racer

k9racer

in 64 thru 67 all 2 door and 4 door cars had 115 wheel base this includes .. in 1968 thru 72 the 4 door had a 4 inch longer wheelbase. 2 door 112 and 4 door 116 wheelbase.