Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1963 Cadillac electronic ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillacslim, Jul 24, 2016.

1. cadillacslim

cadillacslim

It's been quite some time since I've posted and it was only once so here's a quick intro as well. Bought my 63' caddy coupe over 12 years ago in Ohio, moved to Chicago without it and I'm finally getting my ducks in a row enough to bring it here and get it on the road. It's got airbags, they need a little more work on the wiring to be finished up. Bumpers are in rough shape but it's been such a long term project I wanna just get it going and drive it before I get into the rust repair, it's minimal anyway, and then figure out what I wanna do to it before it gets stripped and painted.
    So, big question is what type of electronic ignition works well with the stock 390? Eventually I'd like to make or buy some headers, try and find a manifold for it and maybe do a little head work and port and polish them. Nothing crazy, it's not gonna be a racecar. But I have no clue what brand or level ignition to get or if I should get the whole distributor style or the parts that just swap out the old parts? Any help would be more then appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Pertronix is easy, just take out the points and put the Pertronix in. You'll need the proper coil, and it needs 12 volts all the time (you have to get rid of the resistor wire).

I did this on my Caddy 429, works like a charm and is way cheaper than MSD/DUI type of stuff.

3. Hotroddon beat me to it!

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I would agree with the above comments.......

5. cadillacslim

cadillacslim

You guys are the best! Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen. Looks like I've got some shopping to do! Is it worth going for the higher level ones for best performance or is the base one fine for what my barge...I mean caddy will be needing? Thanks again for the help!

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You will be more than happy with the base module, unless you need rev limiting and stuff like that? They really work slick. They've gotten more expensive I noticed.