Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 "BelAired" Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 1pickup

1pickup

Finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel & hoping it's not a train. So, instead of posting rude comments & unwanted opinions, I thought I might start a build thread of my latest project, so you can post rude comments & unwanted opinions! The start:
    Pretty nice for WI, probably junk for the west coast & southern guys. Was a V8 w/ glide. Engine missing & trans (no converter) in the cargo area. Interesting story (to me, anyway) behind this car. Belonged to a friend of mine. He wanted a reasonable price, I wanted to pay an unreasonable price. We never made a deal on it. He suddenly passed away very young. Sometime later, his father (an even closer friend), talked to me about it. He remembered that I was interested. A few days later, it arrives at my shop on a trailer. He wanted me to have it. It sat patiently in my pole shed until the time seemed right

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ok,I'll start with the rude comments. Why is THAT thing on a traditional hotrod forum? :)

3. 1pickup

1pickup

Bruce Fischer, 61gasser and shown50 like this.
  4. 1pickup

1pickup

I went with the stock brakes (more traditional?). And '63 pickup front shocks. Got an older but never installed AirLift system & bought BC fab brackets. The only thing I did differently, was to use a fox body Mustang rear axle snubber instead of just a bolt to hold the rear brackets on. I didn't want the axle to hit the frame when lowered. It gave me more room to run the airlines.

shown50 likes this.

5. abc123

abc123

It could be a cool push car for a traditional drag car. Or it could be the beginnings of a cool custom. Or...(guess we'll just have to see what happens).

6. Hey ipickup , don't feel bad I been there too. Bruce. 00o0o_82PxJSvNBPi_600x450-1.jpeg

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool wagon.. Looks like it's going to be a cool build...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. He was jerking your chain.

So my rude comment, "Uh Oh better get Maaco." :)

Sounds like you got a deal on it I'll try and keep up with it.

Also I am sorry that your friend checked out. I started burying them when I was in my 20s and it never gets any easier.

9. Model T1

Model T1

Oh no. A not so old station wagon. When will it ever end?
    Myabe we should all buy '32 Ford coupes.
    Our 55 Chevy (5).JPG Our 55 Chevy (4).jpg

10. LOL Friends don't let friends drive Fords. :D :D

I personally have always liked longroofs, I have owned them fast and others just grocery getters. but they are nice old heaps to own and drive. I actually owned a mid '50s ford wagon until about 3 days before my first date with my wife.it had to go because my bills were all over due. When I showed up on my old Norton my future father in law said, "Well at least you aren't in that damned old wagon." :D

kiwijeff and Model T1 like this.
  11. Nothing wrong with the wagon,with the exception of the dark photo,I pirated this one from your album. HRP

[​IMG]

12. Model T1

Model T1

To me it don't matter what brand they are. I like pretty much everything with two to four wheels.
    My favorite car is still a Model A coupe. Haven't been on here in awhile. Screwed up and got old. Leaving all my car parts and one car behind. Tomorrow we head back to midwest for ever..............

Brom likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

Yeah, the dark photo was the only one I had before I tore into it. Not too much light in my pole shed. That's where I had to take the drums off to get it to roll enough to get into my shop. I have been offered some good $$ to buy this thing while it sat waiting, but selling it just didn't seem right to me. I should be working on my Merc, or '40 DeLuxe, or chopped '37 truck, but figured this would be a quick build. Of course, not a quick as I had hoped. But, should be driving soon. This isn't posted in real time, as my life isn't a reality show.

brEad likes this.
  14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like solid wagon. keep us posted with the build

15. Porknbeaner, I took my oldsmobile station wagon in to town to do food shopping to day and going in to town I see this truck come flying up on me. Its a 4 lane in to town so I pulled over in the slow lane and he still pulled right up on my butt. At the stop light he pulled along side of me and said I just wanted to see your station wagon and what kind it was and to read your Regan and Bush for Prez.Sticker you had on the rear window. LOL. Bruce.

enloe likes this.
  16. 1pickup

1pickup

I think I'd better post a *disclaimer* - I am not a professional car builder, welder, fabricator, body man, painter, upholsterer, or mechanic. So, please don't use anything I post as a "how to." It's more of a "how one dumbass made something work." Now, back to our regularly scheduled program:
    Driver's side floor needed one small patch by the dimmer switch
    Passenger floor needed replacing. I stupidly assumed it was from the A/C unit leaking.
    Rear cargo area floor was toast.
    Couldn't find a replacement for a wagon, so one for a sedan will have to work. Notice the "slight" difference in size.
    I placed the new panel in there & drew a line to get the correct cut line. Then, start hacking away. Most of the rest of the floor looked good. So, I just wirebrushed the surface rust & coated w/ POR15 the areas that needed it.

17. HEY YOUR LIKE ME!!!!Nice work.Bruce.

18. Hmmm... suddenly... I don't feel so gifted or unique... anymore...

Looking forward to more photos of your '63. Gonna keep it white?

Gotta56forme/Scott

19. 1pickup

1pickup

It was originally a kind of goldish/greenish color. If you look at the pic with the front clip off, you can see it on the cowl. Looks to have been repainted (maybe in the 70's?) to the off white it is now. Probably was the cheapest color Earl Scheib (sp? I'm not quite that old) had. My first thought was black w/ metalflake gold roof & scallops, but it may just stay the way it is.
    To make that floor section work, I had to cut it in half. Width is right, length not so much (that's what she said!). Bent up some panels out of heavier stock so I didn't have to bead roll it. Had to make 2, because the longer metal brake I had access to wouldn't bend it. My old smaller one is a beast (seen in the pics)
    Get the idea?
    Finished panel. Install as per usual metthods. A little help holding up would be nice though...

20. 1pickup

1pickup

Took the gas tank out to clean & paint. It rattled & I found these inside. Look to be made of lead. Yeah, I know, they wanted to add lead to the gas. Any idea what they are? Has an "M" stamped on the domed side.
    .2 005.jpg

21. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Apollo 11 boarding chips. VERY RARE.

lewk and C. John Stutzer like this.
  22. 1pickup

1pickup

23. 1pickup

1pickup

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. 1pickup

1pickup

Installed a new glove box liner, but I cut a hole in the side & put a small cooling fan on it (no pics). Thought was to cool the radio hidden in there. See the "cool little hidden radio" thread, for the specifics. I bought one of those & added the antenna plug as described. Not great sound quality, but good enough for this build. I also added a USB port on the dash, so I wouldn't need to keep the glovebox door open when using the Ipod. You can find them on eBay, apparently made for boats. I also am too cheap to buy an expensive dual speaker to put in the stock location, so I bent up a simple bracket to hold two 3 1/2" Pyle speakers & tacked it to the original speaker bracket. Simple, & it works.
    I did the "JB Weld trick" to the cracked steering wheel, 'cause once again I'm too cheap to spring for a new metalflake gold 3 spoke. Then, I had my son paint it. His first attempt at any kind of automotive paint. It's not perfect, so it fits with the rest of this build. Bolted the Sears underdash A/C unit back in, & the dash looks pretty much finished to me. Even better, after my wife cleaned the overspray off the inside of the windshield.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Nice work...keep em coming

26. 1pickup

1pickup

Thanks, loveoftiki.
    Let's move to under the hood. I have a 350/350 combo. That didn't feel right for this build. So, off to Craigslist & I scored a 230 with powerglide from a '69 truck. Supposedly has 52K, so I'll just go with that. He said it smoked at start up, so new valve seals were installed. A couple gaskets & some paint. And, "it's in the hole!"

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think there is a thread on here somewhere devoted to dressed up sixes if you can find it.
    Keep up the good work, I will be lookin forward to seein it.

28. 1pickup

1pickup

Not gonna dress it up too much. I'm really leaning toward keeping it clean looking under the hood, having a completed interior, & just leaving the old faded exterior paint alone.
    I bought a (still in the plastic bag) 2 carb intake on eBay. I also bought a split exhaust manifold & it turned out to be a P.O.S. I should have just used the stock single, or tried to modify it myself. I priced new headers & didn't want to spend the money. But, I did want duals, so I just used it. It appears that the second outlet was added at the rear, as I think it should be. Then, they must have welded the dividing plate on the wrong side. So, it had 2 outlets on the rear, & none on the front. Then, they added another outlet to the front, & the rear one got capped off. Not ideal, but I'm trying to not break the bank on this build so I put it on. At least I tried. Both added outlets hit the block, so it wouldn't bolt up tight. I had to pie cut both of them & weld it up to make it work. Now, with the front outlet, snaking some pipe around the motor mount would be tricky.

29. 1pickup

1pickup

The stock (truck) throttle assembly (bellcrank?) wasn't gonna bolt up to the 2 carb manifold, so after some head scratching, I came up with a way to make it work. Remember earlier, I said don't use anything I do as a "how to." First, I needed a place to bolt on a bracket that I needed to fabricate. There are 2 ports at the rear of the intake, so here's what I did:
    Yes, that's a pipe plug that I drilled & tapped. Then, I made this from an old piece of square tubing:
    Added an adjustable pivot on top of that:
    And, the finished product. Don't laugh, it works: