Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Edsel "field car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottoparts, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Edsels are "nice cars" too and are also "worth money" and have been popular for decades-you just didn't know it until recently.... :rolleyes:

IMG_0329.jpg

kiwijeff and biggeorge like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

heh....yeah, to a very small set of car enthusiasts. To the rest of us, they were a joke.

But their time has come.

Blue One likes this.
  3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Hopefully you'll sell yours soon since you have no respect for them.... :mad:

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Now you'll have to change your name to Laurie:p It's hard to believe how many of guys think Edsels are cool, now days. Once upon time, they were a Joke and many guys wouldn't want to be seen driving one. Times have changed, but they are still ugly.:)

Blue One likes this.
  5. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm pretty sure the OP didn't start this thread to have people insult his recent purchase. I know that Edsels aren't for everyone but why can't those of you who don't like them be mature enough not to criticize them? What exactly are you trying to prove? o_O

Motorman702, bedwards and 3340 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I did sell mine. It was a fun car. It was uglier than the one in this thread. At least this one is in decent condition.

I hope you realize that the Edsel has been a joke in the car world for a long time, it's not something that we have started recently, and it's nothing personal against you, or other Edsel lovers. I really like the fact that folks love the cars, and work hard to save them, and especially those few who actually get out and drive them. I did my part, by saving one and putting some miles on it, and even getting it in a magazine.

but we can't erase history :)

kiwijeff and Blue One like this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I just stated facts so why are you crying over nothing. Cry all you want, I am not going to waste anymore time on the subject.

8. 3340

Nice find, looks to be real solid, top oiling was always a problem with them

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Mine was a "field car". Its still ugly !! BUT it gets WAY MORE attention than my T Birds do.

Now figure that ?????? I gave up worring about what other people thought long ago.

Its my shit,its paid for and as far as I am concerned , Its ALL cool!

Oldmics edsel roundup lf.jpg

10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

If you think they're ugly that's not a fact, it's an opinion. Saying that Ford lost a lot of money on the Edsel is a fact. There's a big difference between the two....

3340 likes this.
  11. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

As I'm sure you know, the Roundup 2 door wagon is really rare. They sold less than 1000 of them for 1958 and discontinued them for the 1959 model year. Here's what it could look like if you wanted to invest a few bucks in it. Also, do you think you could post a pic of the data plate (by the driver's door hinges) so I can send it to a guy who has an Edsel registry? Thanks....

rogler1.jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  12. Hey guys, thanks for everyone's opinions and thoughts. No need to get on each other. It's a car may sons and I think will be fun to play with and maybe learn something in the process. Is it ugly, I dunno. Is interesting, yes. Is it different, yes. Am I pretty, I'd like to think so but that's a different topic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

v8deuce, kiwijeff, shivasdad and 3 others like this.
  13. bedwards

bedwards

I get looks, thumbs up, questions, attention and even a trophy for being the most unique with mine. It's just like yours except for the engine. Fix it, drive it and have fun with your son. It will give you lots of that.
    [​IMG]

14. DSCF0078.JPG DSCF0077.JPG Lebowski

Phil has the car in his records.

A more recent pic is above.

Oldmics

ARNIE, kiwijeff, 6-bangertim and 3 others like this.
  15. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

You did a great job with it compared to the first pic. I don't know how you can stay it's "still ugly" but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

16. Squirrel, AINT that the truth!!!! Bruce.

17. biggeorge likes this.
  18. That is very similar to the '59 Ford so a lot of parts swap back and forth. This is an Edsel door that gave up the innards to fix the door on my Ford.
    EDSEL DOOR.jpg

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Edsels are the Rodney Dangerfield's of the car world.

20. Don't worry about what other people think, they don't even exist anyway. (I'm a metaphysical solipsist.)

brEad likes this.
  21. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

:D

frabz-Tough-crowd-no-respect-dbff09crop.jpg

Bruce Fischer and Johnny Gee like this.
  22. Bwahahahaha The keyboard got another coating of beer.

Speed Gems likes this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Oldmics, that wagon is gorgeous! Nice job.
    I've always thought those taillights were the prettiest ever put on a car. I wanted some for my '57 Ranchero but never found a decent set.

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

You know, my wife's early Corvair is also considered ugly by most people but like you Edsel guys, we have found that her "ugly" little GM mistake gets more positive attention wherever we go than you could ever imagine. Folks from all walks of life stop to admire it and often ask what it is.

bedwards likes this.
  25. Alright folks, the one thing we know for sure is that we are going to convert from the two speed to a manul. Rowing your own is always funner.
    Anyone have a clutch assembly for this car laying around? Or can anyone confirm that I can use a Fairlane pedal assembly?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I agree. Wally and Beaver like them too.... :D

beav134b.2046.jpg

Bruce Fischer and biggeorge like this.
  27. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

28. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Great find - always liked that gold and white combo.
    A couple things to note: Your car has dealer-installed Mercury rearview mirrors rather than the (rare and expensive) factory ones; my '58 Ranger was the same way.
    You have a somewhat different radio than other '59s; yours is a '58 radio with a different faceplate (the center sticks out more) made to fit it so Ford could use up leftover radios from the previous year.
    Check the offset on your rims if you intend to keep them; I notice the left front wheel cover is pushed out from the inside - common when different rims are used (the stock wheel covers won't clear the front wheel hubs). Stock ones are 14" x 5.5".
    Finally, per Edsel.com, if you want to go with a manual, there's the Borg-Warner T-85 with overdrive - not an official option but some do exist.
    Happy Edseling!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  29. squirrel

squirrel

I know where there's a T85 with overdrive...been tripping over it for a few months! :)

30. Edsels are cool cars, I have my eye open for one locally all the time. I've looked at a couple but they were a little too far gone for me.

Bruce Fischer likes this.