Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1958 Rebuilt 392 Hemi Priced to Sell

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by kmrumedy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

City: Montreal Canada

State: International (Australia, Canada, etc...)
    Price: $6500.00
    For Sale: 1958 Rebuilt 392 Hemi ($6500 US + shipping)

Serial #: 58N5992 ( Pictured below )

I bought this engine this past Fall from a man who ran a hot rod dealership. I bought it in part to help the family as the kind old guy was terminally ill. I didn't need the engine and I am not very technical nor do I know much about engines. So please be patient with me but just know that I will go out of my way to help you and get the correct answers if you are serious about the purchase.

However, I will not take apart the engine.

I am going to post many pictures to provide as much visual information as I can because specifics are limited.

I was not given a lot of specifics on the motor when I bought it other than it was rebuilt. The original owner purchased it from his friend who owned an engine shop. The engine was rebuilt 4 years ago for the owners personal car. ( I tried contacting the shop but owner has also passed away. I did speak to one guy who confirmed it had been rebuilt but did not know the specifics.)

The only thing I was told was it was a 1958 392 with a hotter cam. No details on the cam. Bonus - It has new adjustable rockers and is well lubricated stored in my heated and humidity controlled garage. The custom stand comes with the sale.

I have sent pictures to few people who know these engines and here were some of their comments and things of interest they found.

"I think you hit the jackpot. As an added bonus the engine has adjustable rockers, which probably means it's a (better) performance engine most likely out of a letter series Chrysler.

Those adjustable rockers, by themselves, often bring over $2K on eBay. Just the rockers. And that's if they're NOT rebuilt.

58N would indicate that the engine is out of a New Yorker. That would mean that the rockers shouldn't be adjustable from the factory, so they must have been added. Another fun fact, the engine hasn't been run with those rockers and those valve covers. Adjustable rocker valve covers had bumps in them for clearance. Those rockers will likely hit those valve covers if they're run as is, even with the factory cam the adjustable rockers hit the non-dimpled vavle covers. The factory adjustable rocker valve covers looked like the one's below, although its not uncommon for folks to use a ball-peen hammer to create the clearance they need as the "bumps" sit under the wire covers anyway.

Also, based on what the heads look like, I would have to say that's either a VERY low mileage engine, or that at the very least the heads were removed and hot tanked. Engines from this era used parafin based oils, and its really easy to tell that from the heads/rockers. Those are WAY to clean for them to have been run with the oil that they would have seen in that era."

I asked about pricing on these engines and was told rebuilt 392's with stock rockers are $6500-$8500. So I am going to offer it very fairly priced at $6500 US with the adjustable rockers. My hope at this price it sells fast and goes to a good home.

You can send anyone locally to check the engine out if you like and test it on my premises.

I am not responsible for the engine once it leaves on your transport.

I live in Canada in the Montreal area, so please factor that into your decision. Buyer will be responsible for shipping and any crating costs from the transport company of your choice.

I will do my best to answer your questions in a timely manner. Please only post if you are interested in buying the engine. I have a good sense of humour and I am happy to help out but please don't make me jump through hoops if you don't have any intention on buying the engine.

That's it. Who wants it?

Pics below. Will post more in second post.
    Cheers
    John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Serial number
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Getting a lot of nice comments and facts I didn't know about these motors which is great. Still available.

3. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

More pictures available

4. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Still available.

5. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

Still available

6. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

No longer available. Please delete ad.