Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 300C Ypsilanti MI

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by AKA_Rizzo, Sep 12, 2009.

1. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo

My father in law has owned this car since 1963. Now it's time to restore it....Again :D

This time it got a Gary Goers interior, And new enamel paint.

Here are all the interior shots. Some from the shop and some from my front yard.

The interior work ran around 7K. 5k for the materials and 2 for the install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few exterior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok now for the reason I joined. His health is failing and I am looking for advice,information and guidance on how to care for the car and what I need to live with.

I can do anything to my EFI Crown Vic. From brakes to rear end work.

This drum and cap/rotor is a whole new thing.

Today I had a great scenario come up, The car just died at a gas station. While running ... Like it got turned off.

Well with the help of a piece of cardboard between the point ( 1 of 2 ) we made it home. This lead to my first point gap check. .015 is what he suggested. And my feeler gauge dragged a very slight amount so I was satisfied with that

I also traced as I learned about the 12v path of travel on its way to be 20,000 volts. I cut off a melted,un jacketed,poorly wired ignition switch wire to the ballast resistor. I then replaced the 12v to the coil from the ballast resistor ( static suppressor) . I checked my voltage at the battery 12.47 then checked the burn ignition wire and got 12.43 so this satisfied me. I then OHM tested the wire from the resistor to the coil and got 000.2 . So I feel the wire is good.

Today just ROCKED. I really enjoy it when a new thing breaks. I love learning new things and now I feel WAY more comfortable working on this part of the car.

Now is there any threads I should be reading ?

And how do you guys navigate this place ? 2 sections.. One current and one archive ? WOW this place is way different than Crownvic.net. But we have the luxury of being a platform specific place.

Well I just can't believe you read all that :D

Thanks guys for whatever you can show me around here.

Email notification of replies enabled.

2. AKA_Rizzo ...

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. !!!

Your father-in-law's '57 300C looks very nice ... I'm sorry to hear that his health is failing.

Although many on this board (including me) will really appreciate his 300C (and its 392ci HEMI), the HAMB is really not the best resource for information on a restored vehicle ... as the HAMB monicker states: "Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide..."

If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you also checkout the following websites:

* The Forward Look Network (www.forwardlook.net)
    * The Forward Look Network Discussion Forums (www.forwardlook.net/forums)
    * The Chrysler 300 Club International (www.chrysler300club.com)
    * Chrysler 300 Country (www.chrysler300country.com)
    * The Chrysler 300 Club Inc. (www.chrysler300clubinc.com)
    * The Chrysler 300 Site (www.chrysler300site.com)

Oh ... and be sure to checkout my '57 300 C album (just click HERE) :).

3. Nice car!!!!
    But for 7 grand I would think that your trimmer should get all the wrinkles outta the covers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Nice 300, welcome to the HAMB from Hank in Pennsylvania.

5. Welcome. Great car, but I gotta agree with da34guy, your upholstery guy needs to step up and re-stretch those covers. Interior looks good, but all those wrinkles need to go away.

6. There are a number of HAMBERS that own 300s and other forward look Chrysler product cars from the 50s and 60s. You shouldn't have a problem.

7. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo

FIL and 2 other gentleman started that, He has since fallen to Charter member status.

8. Scott K

Scott K

There's a white 57 or 58 300 that shows up at the Thursday night cruise in Ypsilanti Depot Town. That owner might be a source of info for you, if you don't already know him.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Good to have you on the Hamb. :cool: I have a '57 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr HT and a '57 Plymouth 2dr wagon. I defer to HEMI32's post for suggestions. Stick around here as well, there is a lot to learn about old cars in general and you won't find a friendlier, more knowledgeable place on the internet, I guarantee it.
    Danny

10. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo

Wurd.

I am kinda upset he had the carbs worked on earlier this summer, I missed out on tuning them properly.

:(

11. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. and a great bunch of guys who already aren't afraid to tell you like it is. I'm a 300C owner myself and if I can do anything for you, don't hesitate to drop me a PM through the system here.

I'm attaching a factory photo taken inside a convertible model. These interiors were not wrinkle free when new but the leather did shrink with age and tighten up. The installation work recently done on your car is not up to professional standards. A Goers cover set should install better than that.

I author a 60 page 300C Handbook for 300C owners and restorers. PM me if you are interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey rizzo...welcome and i must say wow. a blast from the past. man its beautifull and didnt it have a 393 hemi mill. they were and are some of the best engines ever. great job man. no thats not good enough for u daddy- O. u will fit right in here. just call me pop.

13. da34guy ... I totally agree (but didn't mention it since this was his very first post) ... On a positive note, at least the hides in his Gary Goers kit don't have the "pinkish tint" that our '57 300C Goers seat covers had.

StillOutThere ... I was wondering how long it would be before you found this thread :D

holeshot ... Close ... it's a 392 cubic inch HEMI

14. AngRi

AngRi

I have this handbook and highly recommend getting it for any 300C restoration. It has been a big help even for my '57 NY'er...