Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Pontiac gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55chieftain, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Puts a whole new meaning to "hows it hang'n" :D. Great work once again.

2. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

HAHA ! Great work x 2 !!!!!
    subscribed to this one, have to see it all the way through....love something different. keep it coming.

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got the frame together enough to roll it outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my next big project fixing the floors and rockers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    benchseat4speed likes this.
  4. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

NICE project! Good Luck!

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Different & excellent!

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Again thanks for all the positive feedback, it helps a guy going on these big projects.

I didn't want the frame to sit outside too long so I put it back under the body today. I was going to use my other frame as a jig when fixing the floors and braces and keep this frame away from the work. But I decided not to take the chance something wouldn't line up right.

[​IMG]

It got too late to roll this outside for some better pics, but I was pretty happy with the stance so far. I still have to put the engine and trans back in so it will drop some in the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Great job Bill!! I'm glad to see this project hasn't stalled.

BTW: Did you see the new member intro for "Docs Pontiacs" this evening. Lacon, IL with a 1957 Pontiac Gasser

8. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Bill. When you installed the front spring axle assembly, did you stretch the wheelbase about an inch? With the front end higher than stock and a straight (beam) axle it sometimes looks a little better with the axle about one inch farther forward. I did that in my '63 and it turned out good. Just wondering, I should have mentioned it earlier before you welded in the assembly. Sorry. BUT, the closer to stock ride height the less you want the axle forward. Mark L

9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks Tad, with the new job the few extra hours help.

Hi Mark, I set up the front centerline to the factory centerline with an unloaded spring pack.

Here's a better picture, once the engine & trans is in it will get pushed a little further forward. I wasn't trying to shoot for an 1", I don't want to start to look like an altered instead of a gasser.

[​IMG]

10. Butch M

Butch M

Oh yes lookin real good.....

11. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

nice work. every time I get on here I do
    a search on gasser to see whats new. I will be following this build.

12. geist717

geist717

this is going to be a sick build. i have a 31 chevy axle i would really like to build a gasser around.... damn i'm jealous!

13. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

sweet! your doing great work, i dont remember if anyone asked but are you going to radius the quarters?

14. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I don't have any plans to radius the 1/4's. Unless traction becomes a real issue, I may have to do something than. Maybe the volvo 240 front fenders like this-click on display photos.

http://www.nealswheals.com/NealsVisitors/index.cfm?pg=chevy

or use my 55 front fenders instead of the round radius.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. lawman

lawman

Looking good !!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

16. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

looks like my wagon is gonna get some new "fenders" hahaha thanks for the tip, i had no idea!!! some redneck radiused mine

Snowman454007 likes this.
  17. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

what front brakes are you using? and what size rotors?

18. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I got the brake kit from speedway but actually it's a CPP kit with 11" rotors. You had a choice of the 4 3/4 pattern 73-77 chevelle rotors which i'm using along with the matching calipers or they had an option for the 4 1/2 bolt pattern dodge aspen rotors or a 5 1/2" option also..

I bored the 389 out to a standard bore 400 , 4.120" I didn't do anything to the tops of the cylinders ....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I made the rh steering arm today, I cut it out of 4x4 tubing 3/8" thick . I used that since it was thick and had the 90 bend. I'll probably sister the bottom with 1/4" plate so it won't flex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I flipped the bracket to mount the caliper forward to make more room for the top steering arm. I'll still have to do some more work around where the brake hose comes up. Right now it's as long as the factory arm.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    gasser-a-go-go likes this.
  21. Nice build you have going there. Looks like you are really making some good progress.Keep up the good work.

22. brad2v

brad2v

That looks like a great solution, did you have to switch the calipers side-to-side to keep the bleeder valve pointing up?

23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Yes the calipers were switched side to side. Now i'll have to relocate the shock mount. It's the domino effect how one decision affects the next, than the next.....

I could have bought the premade arms from speedway , but why pay full price and only use 1 side? Plus I get the added benefit of doing it myself.

The arm is sticking up kinda high by my design because I havn't shimmed the axle yet , I figured in 6-7 degrees added for caster, so the arms would sit flat when i'm done.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  24. 55chieftain

55chieftain

It finally thawed out around here. I wheeled it outside and set the front clip on to get a better idea on looks. I'm pretty happy with the stance . I had to move the leaf mounts some so I got some at the local farm store that raised it another 2" almost. Steering arm is back on and draglink in. I welded up some additional plate to the bottom of the arm just to beef up the 3/8" plate some. I had to remove the ball stud from the pitman arm, but no big deal, ground off the peened backside and press it out. It was an almost exact fit for the 5/8 bolt for the heim joint. It's not fully tight in this pic, but level with the axle when tight so bumpsteer will be a minumum.

Added: I've since switched the draglink to the lower side of the rh steering arm to get it level since these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to figure where to put the front shocks at than finish up the front end. I got all new leaf spring and mount bushings to put in. Than hang brakes and firewall master cylinder. I got a new cam, lifters, springs and rocker studs to put in also. Than I can finish the mechanical stuff to get it running. Than finally back to the body work.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

few more...

[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice to see it outside with the front clip on ! The stance is right on!

27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cool Pontiac. Will it be done for the Canton Cruise In?

28. What's the crank centerline measurement on that ? It's sure sitting pretty now !

29. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Thanks, I hoping to have it done -well never actually done but a running driving car would be nice by Fathers Day for the show.

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

26", I have the engine mounted higher than stock a good 1 1/2"