Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Ford Shoebox build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Crenninger, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Crenninger

Crenninger

So, im going to be using this to track my build a little easier, i have posted a few questions on this car so far. so here we go!! from the beginning. purchased this car back in Dec,21 with a plan of having it running in a year for a car show in Tombstone AZ in Nov and well that didnt happen. missed it again this year(show is next weekend) life got in the way and didnt want to rush.

here are a few picture's of how i got the car
    Chopped 3"( i think)
    shaved door handles and gas door(i hate)....
    Ford 8" from a Granada
    lowering blocks in rear
    lowering spindles

20220206_143543.jpg 20220317_180454.jpg 20220321_162721.jpg 20220329_104952.jpg 20220329_105000.jpg Screenshot_20211218-105540_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20211218-105546_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20211218-105549_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20211218-105553_Facebook.jpg

slim38, winr, guthriesmith and 6 others like this.
  2. Crenninger

Crenninger

First thing i did was take a surface conditioner tool to the rust and puddy... a afternoon later and a dozen cand of primer, at least it is not rusted anymore... now a few holes to fix..... later..

Attached Files:

3. Crenninger

Crenninger

Helped a friend pull a 400 sbc from his 78 k20 so he can throw a Diesel in the truck ... my fee? a 400 sbc engine... and a Th350 51k milage on the engine i know it will upset alot of people... BUT its free and a engine that is free is the engine for me

Attached Files:

Moedog07, winr, guthriesmith and 6 others like this.
  4. Crenninger

Crenninger

new Master cylinder installed, all new wheel cylinders and brake lines.... and yes.. i did forget the fitting once on a flare

Attached Files:

winr, guthriesmith, coupe man and 3 others like this.

5. Crenninger

Crenninger

and this makes it up to today, i had a old block and empty trans case i used to mock up the shoebox central mounts, ill need to cut the crossmember and notch it, going to be very tight at the oil pan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    ffr1222k, winr, guthriesmith and 4 others like this.
  6. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

7. Subscribed :cool:

Crenninger likes this.
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I’m in…

Crenninger likes this.
  9. What you doing with the front seat out of that car?

I also have a 51, Gonna do a "Gasser" style build

10. Congratulations! I bought my 49 coupe which I named The Judge back in 2011. Luckily the body was in very good shape and had been primed with epoxy primer.. It took me 8 years nearly every day to get her where she is now.

However I decided to document it in a different way.. so that I could organize the subject matter.. I had two reasons to do it that way. So that in the future I can remember what the hell I did, and when I'm gone the next owner will be able to figure out what the hell I did...

The website is organized in galleries with a specific subject for each gallery.. it's best to just scroll a gallery rather than tap on a given picture because you lose the narrative that goes along with the photograph. For the included videos you have to tap on those to play them but then hit the back button to get back to the gallery.. for those who are interested the link is in my profile, or you can Google "1949 Ford Coupe Paul". Perhaps you can get some ideas here and there for your build!

D type likes this.
  11. Crenninger

Crenninger

I'm not sure yet, debating on just re upholster it. I was given a full roll of red vinyl....

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. Crenninger

Crenninger

Didn't do anything to amazing today, just worked on degreesing the sbc400 and removed the factory oil pump to install the chevy 2 pump, tho I behave a problems..
    Mounting the pick up tube. The bracket doesn't line up with the mains in the 400, probably will have to cut the tab off and figure something else out.
    Took some measurements to check crossmember clearance.
    And no.. the oilpan is not staying purple

Attached Files:

guthriesmith and Okie Pete like this.
  13. You have to drill and tap a hole in the block web for a factory-ish installation of the Chevy II DSCN0031.JPG DSCN0032.JPG DSCN0034.JPG pick up tube. Fun to do on a newly assembled short block...

14. Crenninger

Crenninger

I don't think I can do that, the 400 has bigger mains, I don't have any room.
    I was thinking about cutting off the bracket. Bolting it down then rewelding it to the tube

15. One think to watch is that one of the rods may hit the pump body. Bolt it on loose and give the crank a spin. That pump is made for a 3.25" stroke, no bueno with my 3.48" stroke.

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool . Building Your Car with what You can scrounge up.

34 5W Paul and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Very kool! I will be following along. :cool:

Crenninger likes this.
  18. Crenninger

Crenninger

I didn't think of that, looking at the pictures I see what you mean, I'll double check tonight.

19. Crenninger

Crenninger

That is the plan, been going to are local swapmeet, if I can't find it there or locally I'm trying to not buy it. Only exception so far was when I splurged got the wiring harness online.

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. Crenninger

Crenninger

Thank you :) most progress will be on weekends. except this coming up weekend, I'll be at Tombstone AZ for a carshow I volunteer at

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Very cool, keep documenting the process for us lurkers!

22. Crenninger

Crenninger

Well... crank does hit oil pump.... new problem. Need to figure out how to make that work or find a new oilpan that will work or figure something else out to clear tie rods

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as has been said many times, nothing is easy. '51 front-end is one of the best lookin. might want to do some more wheeling & dealing to get a 350. search online for Steve's Nova site that may have info on whether or not a 400 ever used with Nova pan

24. Crenninger

Crenninger

i did some measuring, if i notch the stock pan in the back 1" deep and 1" tall it will clear and back on track :) im going to clean the pan up and do some cutting and tac welding to make it clear. at best. problem fixed... at worsted i get to practice welding and improve then it still wont leak :p
    then sell the chevy 2 pan/oil pump

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    Jacksmith and Okie Pete like this.
  25. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

That's a sweet car, looking forward to seeing it come together! Don't blame you for using a sbc, cheaper and much easier to find parts no matter what people try to tell you...

26. This is what I had to go for pump clearances. I just cut and tried it until it worked.
    DSCN0030.JPG

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. Look at '55-57 Chevy oil pans that have tie rod clearance. It was too iffy in my case, I still may have had to alter it.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIhazGyduiggMVmU1yCh0jvwNOEAQYCCABEgLSMvD_BwE

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. Crenninger

Crenninger

Won't work for me unfortunately, it's hitting right where th strainer tube goes in. Good idea tho

29. Crenninger

Crenninger

I haven't gotten more into getting the engine fit, BUT I did get the gauge rebuilt converted to 12v and cleaned up! Along with the dash.
    Tho I need to do some research on changing the milage to match the engine.

Attached Files:

30. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We used to use an electric drill on the speedo to run the milage back. You can contact Rusty of Speedometer Service here on HAMB to get a professional opinion.