Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

1950 ford shoebox engine swap 302 c4 tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoLife928, Apr 29, 2011.

1. LoLife928

LoLife928 Member

fellow hambers,

i am in need of some info, swaping the old flathead for a 302 with a c4 transmission, does anyone know a step by step instructions on how to do this???? I would really appriciate any help...thanks brothers..
  2. RG49MERC

RG49MERC BANNED

This is a very common swap..You will need a conversion kit..jamco,opies and few other companies carry these..it's very simple..it will require some welding on the crossmember for the trans mount..
  3. OlSkool50

OlSkool50 Member

I used the Jamco kit in mine, It's all bolt in makes it easy. If you have any questions PM me. I"m just finishing mine up.
  4. smarg

smarg Member

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tedley

tedley Member
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I made my own mounts, very simple. I even used the flatty mounts. I don't have pics right now but it's not hard to make. Trans is even simpler. I also used a front sump intead of the rear or center hump. Why? I knew i was going for a rack and pinion and the rear front sump gives me tons of room. Just have to notch the front xmember and box it, No big deal either. Use a rad with a top tank from a mustang or similar and mount it on the other side of the cradle for clearance. Stock mustang headers fit perfect as does the aftermarket mustang h pipe assy.Just get ridof the h pipe. Pretty simple conversion.

Attached Files:

6. Orlando1701

Orlando1701 Member

I'm pulling the I-6 and dropping in a 302, the car is already running a C4 and has a Mustang II front end what should I expect?
  7. msalamanca

msalamanca Member

There is a decent pictorial on hotrod mag online
  8. whitecrown

whitecrown Member

Anybody out there done a 351 Windsor with a Tremec 5-speed into a '50 Tudor Custom? I bought it set up for a SBC/TH350 but I would rather run a Ford, not sure why, just seems right. Would really like to find a 406 & 4-speed for it but I haven't hit the lottery YET ;)
  9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo Member

You don't really need step-bystep instructions , it isn't rocket surgery ! Trust me , some things you've just gotta learn by getting your handas dirty .

That being said , I have done the SBF & c-4 swap into 2 Shoeboxes - my 49 and Legend544's 50 . With his , we used Opie's mount kit and with mine we used the Jamco setup . Both worked fine . You can see pics of mine in my build thread below . Somewhere here on the HAMB I posted pics of Craig's Opie's setup - if I find it , I'll post up ...

In my build thread , I also have pics of our rad setup too - out of a FoxBody Mustang . It works like a charm .
  10. 5window

5window Member

Jamco's stuff may be good, but you're a tad off base saying they're respected here. Quite, quite the opposite. OP, PLEASE do a thorough HAMB search before you order, and pay for, parts from anyone, but especially Jamco. Really.