Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Ford Carson Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I was a little iffy on the roofline, but I thought to myself, who in the Hell am I to question his work. Just goes to show you if you live right everything will work out in the end. Keep ripping away at it. If I'm too sorry to finish my car, you might as well finish yours.

2. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

Looks good, can't wait to see it at the TRR.

3. PackRat42

PackRat42

Anymore up dates? Is the car going to be in Daytona next weekend?

4. Yaril

Yaril

lots going on right now. still working everyday to get the car to Daytona! Exhaust tomorrow morning, then finish the brakes and hopefully alignment on Tuesday. that gives me a couple days to wrap up some wiring radiator hoses and other essentials for driving.

im doing the best i can. sleep is down to about 5 hours a night, think it will be even less this week!

5. Sleep? What are you, some kind of pussy? Get your ass in there and get that car finished!

6. Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

Had a great time hanging with you guys last weekend! I love how all of our crews together look so officail. Your ShoeBox is coming together VERY nice. Pics really dont do it justice. Looking foward to roof covering. Nice work man and as always, great to see ya again.

8. Yaril

Yaril

thank you Dallas! its i think this year we had a great turn out, especially with your crew bringing out 10 cars! keep it up man.

updates have been slow to non existent. for the day after arriving from Daytona i have closed down shop, due to landlord raising rent beyond my means. im a firm believer in Karma and things happen for a reason. i will be wrapping the year up at my pals place where he has graciously given me more space than he has for himself. next year after the big California trip things will be even better, i know they will.

till then its head down and put in work to get it done. lots to do, new customer cars, old trucks and of course the Shoebox.

so just before going to Daytona lots was accomplished on getting the car roadworthy, lights, electrical, motor / drivetrain, windshield (cut the day before) overall assebly, front bench (also the day before). needless to say about 4 hours of sleep in 3 days. we even had Thanksgiving dinner at the shop, my mom's brought me and my pal Robert some turkey so we could keep working. i did get to see the sunrise, cause i was driving home at about 7am from the shop. it didnt stop there, off the Daytona 5 hour drive and no time for sleep cause its get to the track, then off for some food and to the hang out, then try and get to the "gentlemen's" club before they close, sleep 4 hours and do it again! drive home and move shop for 3 days straight. its been hectic but ive maintained sanity.

why did i bother staining and varnishing the wood header? its only going to get covered up soon.
    [​IMG]

shaped the roof with some construction mesh, it will help keep the padding from sagging. painted it all white to get a glimps of what may come soon.
    [​IMG]

all the wiring is new (Rebel Wiring) i added some curtsy lights because i wont have a dome light on the removable top, also installed some stick on insulation to the firewall and toeboards.
    [​IMG]

its small but i wanted a bit of chrome / stainless on the window scrapper edge, so i came up with this, my painter Leo gave me these and i trimmed and modified to fit.
    [​IMG]

here is the center floating grill support i fabricated out of electrical conduit, it just looked cleaner than modifying the original support.
    [​IMG]

forgot to snap some pics of the bench but here it is. the color of the car is exactly a color match of the maroon leather on the seat.
    [​IMG]

drove all weekend in Daytona with no hood, motor was turned on the night before so this allowed me to tweek and check it easily. yeah i cracked one windshield the night before installing it, its ok ill make another. the night off i had no sand paper to finalize the shape so using the wrong paper i got it as close as i could, not close enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

driving around all weekend was fun, mixed emotions towards the car, but i know the ones that count. everyone thought that was it, that it was done. some thought i was crazy for having a mesh roof others loved my "leather" paint job. i wish i could see all there faces when the car is finished in high gloss with the white padded top. well it was great seeing all the faces i only see about once or twice a year and meeting new faces.

back to work, tomorrow cause right now its freezing in Florida, at least for me.

9. Crease

Crease

Beautiful work!!!!!

10. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

It was noce to meet you and see the car at Daytona. Keep up the hard work, can't wait to see it all done...

11. smarg

smarg

I've been watching the full life of this thread...

This shoe is looking really darn nice.

Keep beatin' at it.

12. Rikster

Rikster

Looks amazing Taril!!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  13. Looking good. Can't wait to see it finished.

14. Man looking great! I didn't catch what you used on the frame, also is that 49 side trim?

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Haha leather pait job you must have had a great laugh at that one :D I cant believe how quickly you have whipped this car into shape ,beautiful job and I cant wait to see it shiny!

16. SixFive

SixFive

Jeez Yaril, is there anything you touch that doesn't turn to awesome?

Can't wait to see it finished, bet you can't wait either!

17. fitzee

fitzee

How did I miss this post?? Just finshed all 10 pages!Great job and makes me want to tear into my build. Nice job on the roof.

18. bstie

bstie

Yaril I was sorry to hear about your shop but keep the faith your work is really inspiring to us out here! Keep us posted on the new shop once it's up and running I still want to figure out a way to get my truck down there for you to work your magic on it! The car looks real good nice job!

19. Looking great! Cold in Miami!???

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

The emotion from me is excitement! That thing is bad.

21. Moondog13

Moondog13

Too cold for us man! Everyone down here looks like they're about to battle a snow storm! :D

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

As nice a carson top as I've ever seen! Killer work.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Even more amazing in real life, this one will become a classic.

24. Can't believe I had missed this. Great looking car can't wait to see it done. It will be a classic!

25. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

SAWEEET!! Nice Buick too.

26. It's looking great! I dig the Kaiser guard on the rear bumper. Can't wait to see the car painted with the top padded.

27. Yaril

Yaril

happy holidays everyone, thanks for all the kind words!

its been a while since i update. had to make some more funds but now its back at it again. we spent Christmas eve getting everything except the hood in the second coat of yellow primer. ive been block sanding for the past few days. today is the one day off then guide coat and continue block sanding on Sunday. i hope to have color on before the end of the year and clear shortly after. there is still a few things to fab up and obviously assemble the entire car before the trip.

i got a courtesy call a couple days back to let me know that the Shoebox has a spot inside the Suede Palace, i am so excited and its starting to sink in that its really going to happen! so far my plans are to drive out of Hialeah on Saturday Jan 22. that will give me about 5 days to make the 2800 mile trek, more than enough time. i dont want to rush the drive so i can enjoy the time off. my painter's brother lives in Pamona so that is where i will be staying when i arrive, however i will be looking for a spare room, floor, garage space, tree house or anyplace to crash in on my trip through I-10 cross country. id rather meet and stay with people in the hobby than at random hotels. when the new year rings in ill begin to plan out the drive and the stays so if anyone would not mind having me stop by please pm me so i know.

thanks again!
    Yaril

28. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Fabulous !......That car is gonna be a legend !.....

29. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

30. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you're more than welcome to crash at my place, I live in Gulfport,Ms(39507) just south of I-10,I saw this first over on the KCW site and sent you a PM
    Chris