Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1950 Chevy Bel Air Appraisal/Driveability HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Fabricator, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

My neighbor is in need of money and wants to sell his barn find 1950 Bel Air. This is a California car, has no rust in any of the floors, trunk or tire well. It has light rust bubbles around windows and corner of fender. Car was painted 15 years ago and stored in a barn. Bumpers need to be re-chromed, all stainless trim is there and straight just needs a little polish. When it was stored it was a running/driving car, his plans were to do a complete restoration but never got around to it. Overall this car would need very little work to get running and driving, paint and trim can be buffed out. The only thing it would really need is to have the interior re-done. Idea on this car was to clean up the outside of the car, finish the interior, lowered with white walls. Very very basic. So, now my questions.
    1) The price on these cars are all over the place. I have an appraisal that says its worth 12k as is. Seems very high to me. I have looked all over the internet and ebay to see what these cars are going for and to me a good running driving older restoration seems to go for 8-10k. Does anybody have any info on what some of these cars have gone for in the last year are so. Is the 1950 Bel air model really that rare of a car that it goes for more money then the later cars which were just a trim package?
    2) Because the drive train is all stock it has the oil splash motor, 3 speed tranny and 4.11 rear end. to make this a driver I have been told you have to replace the WHOLE drive train. Need to have the pressurized motor with a rear end that can except lower gears. Can I please get some recommendations on this. I live in CA, don't think this car would be able to go on the freeway, maybe a good weekend car...don't know.
    3) Or all together should I just pass on this car if I cant get a great deal on it. What would you guys think it should be worth with the details I provided.

Any info and suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. txturbo

txturbo

Not worth 12k as is...around me they sell for 1500-4500 in that condition.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

12k sounds high to me...and I really like the '50 Bel Air Hardtop!....Based on your description, 5-6k would be a good deal, but I could imagine it bringing as much as 8-9k from someone with good cash flow.

As with anything though, it is worth whatever someone will pay for it. That may be a cliche', but is also true.

BTW, the majority of "written appraisals" I've seen, and I've seen a few, are BS. They are offered by people who either don't know the real market value, or who want to please the client with a 'high' number. Either way, they are useless.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    hotrodbob likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

The 50 belair was the first year, it was a special model, 2dr hardtop. they are worth more than normal 50 chevys. Probably in the 5k-8k range. no pics, we can't get much closer than that. But it's only worth what someone will pay, and they may not pay much if it needs as much work as it sounds like.

might be able to go 60 on the freeway, but not all day...the brakes on the 50 were crap compared to the 51-up cars, also. So yeah, it might need a driveline/suspension swap if you want to use it on a regular basis and put some miles on it.

5. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. Can you swap 51 brakes onto a 50?

6. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, but you might end up changing the rearend to do the back brakes. At the same time, you could change the gear ratio to 3.55 which was used on the powerglide equipped cars.

7. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

This '50 Hardtop, is being auctioned on Ebay, with no reserve, and is presently at $12k with 2 days left. I have been watching the market on 49-52's for about a year and I estimate this to be about a $13k car. You can get a decent car for $13k and this will at least get you an idea. I prefer a post coupe but it is all preference. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-O...=191328179072&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_320wt_1362

8. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Will the stock motor pull 3.55 gears?

9. squirrel

squirrel

good question. It does with the powerglide, but they also had a 235, not a 216.

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You betcha and it will do it pretty good too.

The babbitt splash oiled 216 is really a good engine. In stock form its perfect for around town and occasional highway use. California Bill's book features Chevy six cars that ran 120 MPH with those engines. Keep in mind they were set up to run that way.

It takes a skilled builder to properly build a stocker as the oil spouts have to be aimed. So a performance build for one of these approaches a lost art which is precisely what the HAMB is all about.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, apparently the '50 Bel Air on eBay is not the '50 Bel Air described by the OP.

Nonetheless, it may serve to bring some perspective to the issue. Hmmm......may have to take a second look at the eBay sale. :D

Ray

12. You know how good or bad the BelAir may be. We have no pics to view. Go to Hagerty site and punch in info to get a figure for yourself, knowing what you know about the car.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  13. The one on EBay is interesting. Seller wants 17K, bidding is at 12K.
    Seller states car has been garaged since 1993, states it was last licensed in 1993, but also states it was driven 800 miles this summer.o_O

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

In 1950 it probably had a 216, not a 235, but any '54-62 235 will drop in with few modifications. You can even keep your trans and rear end. My wife and I built a '51 Bel Air and dropped in a '60 235 with dual carbs and headers. I picked up a '54 rear end with 3.55 or 3.74 gears for FREE and that car drove along nicely and had no trouble on the highway in Chicago (or all the way to Maryland).

If you decide to repaint it keep in mind that they only made these for 3 years (1950-52) and they are different from the beltline up. Trim pieces are rare, so don't lose them. The windshield rubber is available, but $$$$$$. IIRC the rear gasket was $400.

15. If the 1950 had P.G., it had the 235.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

without photos everyone is just pulling numbers from their collective behinds. unless of course there are photos I can't see due to blocks at work, in that case it is worth $500.00.

17. Pictures please.....what you perceive as "good" condition may be only fair on an appraisal

18. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

It has the 3 speed manual...owner says it has a 216 in it.

19. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Here are the pictures...and well...its not being stored indoors but in a field with a car cover over it. img_0015.jpg img_0014.jpg

20. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

21. Oh boy, that body looks great !
    That would be a WONDERFUL project.:)

22. Yes, 3 speed manual = 216 engine.

23. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

pictures up!!!

24. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Body is great! Paint just needs to be buffed. So...how much money wonderful?

25. 1. Complete interior needed.
    2. Front and rear bumpers, with bumper guards, need replating.
    3. Not necessary to ditch the entire driveline, based on what it is now. The 216 with 3 speed and 4:11 will cruise fine, but not at steady 65 + MPH. Remember, back in 1950, we were a USA of two lane roads and traffic lights. No freeways for steady, high speed driving.
    50 to 55 MPH is enough for this 216 combo.
    4. Driveline condition is unknown, but ...... if engine is not "seized", that is a green light for me to purchase. Wondering why engine is blue, and not gray. Just because owner liked blue better ?
    5. My price, as is, would be $3,500 to $4,500, if the bottom (frame, brakes, floors, gas tank, suspension) is not rotted away from sitting in the dirt for 15 years.
    JUST Lines #1, #2 and #4 will add another $4,500.
    After that initial $4,500 of cosmetics and repairs are invested, you have the "oh, by the way", we need to do brake work, clutch work and etc.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  26. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

$3500 for me the way it sits.

27. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Thanks for the advice...much appreciated.

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hagerty Price Guide reports as follows, based on condition (which I summarized with my own words):

$7,900 Daily driver with multiple visible flaws or a deteriorated older restoration
    $15,400 Daily driver with some updates such as new paint/interior, etc.
    $23,200 Local/Regional Show winner
    $29,700 Best of the best

Based on your description, this car is a non-runner below this scale. That being said, it's still a cool car with a lot of potential. I'd pay $3-4K for it, then I'd put in an older SBC and an open differential, with a T5 if I was keeping the car, or an automatic if I was flipping it.

29. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

I say around $3000 -$3500

30. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Thanks for doing that...have not been able to check that out.