Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Chevy and a box of parts

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BoxOfParts, Feb 4, 2024.

1. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Ok, so its really lots of boxes... I was gifted this car with a bunch of parts all ready to be put back together. Here's a bit of a run down:
    1. Car has been painted.
    2. Has new upholstery, including carpet in the trunk.
    3. A 235 motor already rebuilt.

Now I am putting it all together and I can sure use some advice.

Today I swapped out the bell housing and put the 216 on it so it matches my 3-speed transmission.

Does the bell housing bolt get torqued? Do I put thread locker on them ?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. I have never torqued them, but I make them TIGHT

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

4. leon bee

leon bee

"Chevy Tight"

Bob Lowry likes this.

5. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Thank you saltflats✌️

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If your not that mechanically inclined you may want to look into buying a factory shop manual for your model car.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

8. squirrel

squirrel

Bellhousing bolts don't generally need locktite, but the flywheel bolts might get a dab.

Looks like fun! There are a lot of little differences between the "late" engines like that, and the original. So show us all the parts you're installing, and keep asking questions!

for instance...the water pump for a 54 or older car is quite different from that for a 55 and later. But there are ways to deal with it.

The starter and flywheel have to both be pre- or post- 55. They have different teeth, the 12v starter won't work on a 6v flywheel. (this is really important to you, very soon!)

just little things like that.

9. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Thanks all who replied.I know i have along road ahead of me but this car has a lof of setimental value.
    Ed

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

CB425933-751F-44ED-BB3F-0FA96C7B38C6.jpeg I’m following this thread, let’s see more pics

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

IMG_2136.jpg Today I torqued the bell housing bolts IMG_2136.jpg IMG_2137.jpg IMG_2138.jpg IMG_2139.jpg IMG_2140.jpg to 50lbs, was going to install the flywheel and clutch assembly but i went a head and cleaned all the threads on the bolts. I did verify that I have a 6 volt flywheel and starter. Hopefully I can install the clutch tomorrow

Okie Pete, saltflats and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Do you have pressure plate bolts? they have a plain shank below the head, to help center the PP.

pp.jpg

13. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

These are the ones that I took off the pressure plate

Attached Files:

14. squirrel

squirrel

Ok...I would get the right ones, but that's just me.

15. Don't forget that the 6 volt starter will happily spin hooked up to 12 volts. Just don't try cranking for real long bursts.

16. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Got new pp bolts and installed the flywheel .
    Torqued the flywheel bolts to 62lbs with locktite and in a cross battern,
    Started at 20,40,60 then 62lbs. Putting on the clutch was a bear but finally got it .
    I only have a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and starts at 20 ft lbs and it felt like either the bolt was going to snap or the bolt would strip. I am going to a friends house to borrow his 3/8 dr torque wrench so i can torque them down without worries.
    I did find what seems to be the original bolts
    IMG_2143.jpg IMG_2143.jpg IMG_2144.jpg IMG_2145.jpg IMG_2146.jpg
    Good night and thank you all for guidance
    Ed

hotrodharry2, Okie Pete and saltflats like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I would use the original bolts you found, if all 6 are there.

Should be able to get 35 ft lbs on them with no problem, if your torque wrench is accurate.

You used an alignment tool to center the friction disc, I hope.

18. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

I only found 4 of the orginal bolts, so i used the new ones. I got two more coffee cans of bolts and washers in the trunk will through them again .
    I did use the alignment tool for the disc.
    If i cant find the orginal bolts, i will attach the ball pivot ball on the bell housing and attach the clutch fork and throw out bearing.

Now this were I need advice:
    The water pump ! So manny options.
    Do I get the pump plate adapter ? I see a couple of write ups but I notice its for chevy trucks not sedans.?
    I need to get a raditor for it , is there one already made for this swap that moves it foward?
    It already has a 12 volt alternator that was already on the car so maybe a electric pusher fan ?

Thank again
    Ed
    IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2152.jpg

saltflats and Okie Pete like this.
  19. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Cleaned the pivot ball installed the fork and throw out bearing . Used some grease on the pivot and fork.
    I found a water pump in a tub, will see if its for this engine or the 216
    Ed

Attached Files:

saltflats and Okie Pete like this.
  20. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

My water pump adapter came in and so did my water pump but I ordered the wrong pump. Going to get the one with the 3/8 pulley .
    IMG_2198.jpg IMG_2199.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  21. You should have enough room for engine driven fan. Lots of aluminum radiator’s around. Brass are expensive. I put aluminum on a 54 with V8. Fit great. The new owner has had no problems.. Six blade should cool it fine.

22. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

When you mean a 6 blade fan , one from another gm car or a aftermarket like flex lite ?
    Thanks,
    Ed

23. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Need advice again
    I drilled my two holes for my water pump adapter and I hit the water jacket on the passenger
    I can put some luquid thread sealant on the bolt and hope no leaks
    IMG_2214.jpg

My next queston is do i need to use the 216 ballencer on the 235 ? Or did i get the wrong pump again ? The water pump pulley and crank pulley dont align
    IMG_2230.jpg

The 216 is 600 miles away
    I have been messing with this pump for two weeks , maybe cut my losses put the 235 pump without the fan, and put electric ?

24. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I'm pretty sure the 216 balancer pulley has wide groove, so it probably won't fit your current narrow groove pump pulley (though maybe a wide belt works with narrow groove). It should fit with the wide groove pump however.

Best bet with your 53-54 235 style (old style but narrow groove) pump would be a balancer from the same kind of engine.

I didn't know they wouldn't align, but later crank pulley might also have bigger circumference, so it turns old style pump and fan faster than they are designed for. Don't know if the difference would matter.

25. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

This is my 51. Although it has the wide belt, taken from the same angle it appears not to align either. But it doesn’t throw the belt. Are you sure it doesn’t fit?

IMG_4577.jpeg

26. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Going to get a belt today and give a try,
    Thanks for the inputs
    Ed

27. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Well i was told that the flywheel was one for 6 volt , ran the casting number 3705410 and its for the 235 12volt not the 216 6volt . It does have 169 teeth.
    The 235 starter is 600 miles away. Was just going to buy one at the local parts store and the cheapest one i found was $240 ! So for 50 bucks more i bought plane tickets to go pick it up with other stuff i need. Distributor,bolts and big washers for intake/exhuast manifold pcv tube etc.. life is still good

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I seem to remember that you have to press the water pump pully in or out to make it work.

29. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Time to paint some parts of the engine, it is light blue but I
    dont know the code or name ?
    IMG_2132.jpg

30. BoxOfParts

BoxOfParts

Got my starter,fan,dist,exhaust/intake bolts and clamps. I should have my engine all ready to put it in the next couple of weeks
    IMG_2313.jpg

saltflats likes this.