Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941 Ford Springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by albjerryg, Feb 26, 2017.

1. albjerryg

albjerryg

I have a 1941 Ford Deluxe and finally got it out for a test drive and notice how rough it road. It is like it bottom out. If you push down on the front fender it does not move. It has new shocks but I think it is something to do with the big bow spring on the front. I have included picture of the spring it was hard to get a picture of the spring on the ground. Any suggestions...>? Thanks Jerry

Attached Files:

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

All "FROD" springs are exceedingly RARE !

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Is there any way to track recent owners of your car? Something just does not look right. The spring looks flat, there is almost no arc and the shackles don't have any movement left because of this. Did someone replace the spring at one time? In one of your pictures the spring "U" bolts are even with the axle.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright,.... If everybody is going to be all serious,... I guess I'll give a honest opinion.

You have an actual 1941 Axle which is the same from 1937-1941,... In 1942 and up the perch pins were moved father outboard,... Most people think the 1941 uses the same front spring as the 1942-1948 front spring, When in fact it uses the narrower 1937-1941 front spring.... Your shackels arn't working.

[​IMG]

Kustom Cline and 302GMC like this.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

It was the "FROD" thing that threw me off !

[​IMG]

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

41s are an oddball. Some parts are earlier as harms way said and the some parts interchange with 42 thru 48.

7. albjerryg

albjerryg

Sorry about the spelling of Ford. Is the a replacement single spring that would give it a smooth ride??? Also the spring is arched up is that correct? Thanks Jerry

8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

The photo looks as though your shocks may be bottomed out. Pull them off and see how it works then. You may need to source some shorter ones.

9. albjerryg

albjerryg

OK to make sure I understand you want me to remove the front shocks and then drive it with none and see if that is better and if so then go with shorter shocks? Thanks Jerry

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't gonna work with the shackles as mentioned above--no give left for compression--spring needs to maybe be 2 1/2"-3" shorter best I can tell

11. albjerryg

albjerryg

Do you think I should change the springs out? How to you measure for the correct springs? Thanks Jerry

12. Torchie

Torchie

Your spring is too long as has been posted by others.
    This pics show the angle that a 41 Ford front shackle should be at. And this is with a slightly longer shackle to get the font end lower. But the angle would still be the same. Yours is at such an extreme angle that there is no room for movement
    It looks like yours could be from a later 40's Ford (Which is longer)but hard to tell from the pics. Hell It could be from lots of things.
    ALSO: Be aware of the fact that the way that spring and shackle set up looks the spring could be under pressure/load. You may need some sort of spring spreader to get the shackles off with out injury to yourself or others. Error on the side of caution and do some research before you attempt to remove it yourself.
    You might want to post over on the Ford barn site as they are all about stock old Fords. Use the search function for more info.
    Torchie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Kustom Cline likes this.
  13. albjerryg

albjerryg

I am not trying to keep it stock(Has a 350 chevy engine and digital gauges) I am trying to get it to ride good. I will post on the Ford barn and see what they say> Thanks Jerry

14. Torchie

Torchie

Understood. But that looks like a stock 41 Ford front end so just don't mention the 350. :)
    Posies make a single leaf spring for these I believe.
    Torchie

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Most of us are on Ford Barn as well,.... (Same Owner) See you there !

Torchie likes this.
  16. albjerryg

albjerryg

Sorry about tat I do appreciate all the help. I have been to a wedding and have not gotten much sleep for the last 2 night I think I am brain dead. Thanks Jerry

17. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Jerry,
    Im in gonzales about 45 min from you. If you feel like coming this way id be happy to take a look for you. I just bought a 47 deluxe, going pick it up next week. Send me a pm if you need a hand

18. albjerryg

albjerryg

Mr. Lodaddyo I look at you build thread and was impressed , nice work. Wright now I think I have it figured out. My shop, where the car is, is in Basile and I will be going there this weekend. When I do I need to measure for a new Posies super spring. Then it will be to order and install. I really do appreciate the offer thanks. Jerry.

19. dave plmley

dave plmley

I have a Posies reversed eye super slider in my 41 Merc and a Speedway panhard bar and the ride is so much better than stock spring. I'm very happy. Check them out.

20. albjerryg

albjerryg

very good Dave I just order the Posies super slider from Speedway it have not come in yet. What is the panhard bar for? Thanks Jerry

21. Torchie

Torchie

A Panhard bar helps keep the axle centered (left to right) and reduces sway. Originally they did not have them but some add them to increase drivability. Google Panhard bars to get some idea.
    Torchie

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  22. albjerryg

albjerryg

Thanks very much...Jerry