Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

According to HotRod deluxe July 2014...
    It is Jack Greiner ready to race in 1947.

gwhite likes this.
  2. Kustomrama lists the Fowler/Hayes roadster as a featured car in the March '56 issue of Rod & Custom...perhaps more info on them can be found there (unfortunately I don't have this issue).

elgringo71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Good call!

Other shots of Greiner's car (before);
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

^Thank you Gary. I lack the savvy to easily add pics I know of from periodicals. I also thought with Jack's roadster being publicized it might already be listed here somewhere. Wyatt

gwhite likes this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

I get a kick out of those front bumpers that look like a helmet guard with the owner's initials built into them. Seems like that was popular for quite a while and not just a short trend. Not sure I've seen that on any recent builds.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those gals look pretty tough to me. I bet they stole it.:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. It was a 2 part feature on the construction of the 32, written by George Barris (Let George Do It) that covered both the March and April 1956 issues.
    It would be interesting to learn what happened to the roadster.

Mick

elgringo71 likes this.
  8. Wow, Greiner had a tough, bad-ass car before! I'd like to see that reproduced today.

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Racing is cool and all but the full fendered version with that great top is so beautiful.
    I had to drive my Ford tractor 2 miles home in a snow storm yesterday and somewhere along the way I decided that my '26 Chevy roadster will have a top.:rolleyes:

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

I have seen this picture, I think on the American Hot Rod Foundation site, if I'm not mistaken...caption was that Don and Bruce Blair, who were Gopher members, are in it, though I don't recognize Don...anyone else?

11. 296ardun

296ardun

Story I remember is that they towed the car with a tow bar all the way to California to get Barris to work on it...but the earlier question is still a good question...there were good shops in Texas, why all the way to California?

gwhite, elgringo71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

They wanted to see a real ocean? They liked sailors?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. Nobey

Nobey

Fowler/Heyes Roadster
    I wrote about this cars history on a thread back in 2011, before you read the answer I'd like
    to say I had no idea that the car was in SRJ and associated with Marcia Campbell. What a
    can of worms for some really fine historians. I'am still sorry this happend. Richard
    Third post down;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...apher-marcia-campbell-1932-2009.417750/page-5

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    lothiandon1940 and elgringo71 like this.
  14. KKrod

KKrod

I have an article from 1953 when they drove from Ft Worth tx to barris shop. A very real adventure. Maybe the car is stored away somewhere in Ft. Worh???
    I will look for the article which is Rod and Custom magazine in 1953.

15. The same reason people drive to California now... for the exodus? Maybe it didn't have anything to do with good or not good shops in Texas. Maybe Barris was a destination and the excuse for an adventure?

Good questions indeed :)

16. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great stuff Nobey, I was hoping that we could dig up the history. What they did was no small feat and the story needs to be told.

Runnin shine and Nobey like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If Jean Fowler and Billie Hayes were 20 when that picture was taken in '53 they'd be 82 now. They could still be kicking. Surely there are friends and family still in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There is an 85 year old Billie M Hayes living in Flower Mound, Texas a few miles north.

18. elgringo71

elgringo71

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My favorite Chevy roadster although I prefer the earlier version with the Chevy front suspension.
    [​IMG]

Spoggie, volvobrynk, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  20. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am not sure if this is 40s but I see nothing newer than that in the picture. It's not easy with pictures withoutv any history to go with them. image.jpeg

kidcampbell71, moparob and 509garyd like this.
  21. elgringo71

elgringo71

22. Road Runner

Road Runner

Looks like So-Cal in winter, where air filters were apparently optional.

23. Any idea for a date on that last pic of the T?

24. elgringo71

elgringo71

No idea when the picture was taken

25. Apart from anything else in the pic, given the OHV engine, the channel and other body mods on the coupe, I doubt it's 1940's. First half of the 50's perhaps.

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the correction X38, this was way before my time but its still good to get discussion from those that were around and it's good to keep this thread moving.

27. 2935ford

2935ford

Very time period picture.
    Ed, his Hot Rod and the Helms bakery truck behind them. :)

elgringo71 likes this.
  28. Pretty sure Isky was using the Maxi OHV when he ran 120 at El Mirage in '42. The car was featured on the June '48 cover of Hot Rod...

[​IMG]

29. Agreed. I'd actually lean a little later. The scenery looks like one of the North Texas tracks; I'd say 1957-ish.

30. According to Hot Rod Mag, Isky put a flying skull radiator ornament (he had made in HS industrial arts class before the war) on his T after it was featured on the June '48 cover of HRM. I'd say that pic probably comes from the '48 photo shoot, or shortly thereafter.