Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Woody Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have been searching for a 1940 Ford Woody cowl, floorpan and rear fenders and have located all three items that are financially within reach. Before I proceed any further, I decided to call a noted woody shop to receive an estimate on all new wood. I explained to the person that I wanted all new wood and did not have all the brackets and he said for a hot rod woody you could make the ones required.( I am driving one now that all the brackets were bench built.) We finally got to the "How much" question and he quoted around $38K for the complete package fitted and varnished. I was expecting more but I was wondering if anyone has had some wood made for a 40 Ford woody recently that I could compare prices. I called two more shops and they were both higher so I am thinking CA has to be the highest place to have wood done. The car would be ready for the wood when delivered to the wood shop.

Any help or leads would be appreciated.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there is a place nextdoor to C&G Ford parts in Escondido that does wood. i forget their name at the moment. I asked them for a price on a 46 about a year ago and it was right around $45k.

3. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

call Chip at Cincinatti Woodworks and ask him for a quote, I know he has the patterns. A few years ago he worked on my 40 (20+) and got the patterns

4. T Fritz

T Fritz

Mike Nickols in Mich. does 40 Fords

Fritz

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for the names. I will call and get a quote. Mike Nickels in MI did the wood on the 37 I have now. He does good work.

6. sawzall

sawzall

lynn..

specifically what place gave you the quote of 38K?

additionally I may have a few extra brackets from my 40 project.

jeff

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  7. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I can't speak of a particular shop to use, I know there are some good ones.

However, I know of one NOT to use.

8. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Bump... just because I'm curious. :D

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The 1940 Ford Woody project is alive and the wood problem has been solved. I found a real nice original set of wood that is still attached to the car. Thanks for all of your assistance in this search.

Wood runs from $22 - 40K depending on who you ask. I am not sure of the quality of work in the low range, but I have seen the high end wood and it is very very nice.

volvobrynk and banjeaux bob like this.
  10. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Does this mean there is a new project headed to "Pews Place?"

11. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Great... now we're waiting for pictures.:D
    Good luck with it.

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

View attachment 3101100
    Old thread but I have a renewed interest in a 1940 woody project. Here is the above body I found and Jim is now building a very high end woody at Reed's Ride Designs. I have another one on the line now so….stay Tooned!
    2013-02-28_09-35-57_157.jpg
    I found this one in Northern CA and Jim purchased it to build his dream woody.

photo-2.jpg
    Ryan built the chassis in the jig shown and has the stance that only he can achieve.

image.jpg
    Lots of work to achieve this stage of the build. More progress has been made and photos will follow.

IMG_4768.jpg
    Ryan is good with colors and Jim agreed with this final color selection. Should be a winner.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. My pal Rene' that had a stroke back in February 2015 and he has a 40 DeLuxe Woody project that will be for sale in the classifieds soon.

He told me today that he is ready to let it go.

Hopefully in the next week I can get all the information and pictures,it's in a storage unit. HRP

willysguy and Pewsplace like this.
  14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Check out a company called Treehouse Woods, they have most of the brackets and other metal parts. As far as I know, Chip at Cincinnati Woodworks has retired. Give Klein Brothers in PA a call, 717-266-8696 they do great work and are very reasonable.

Pewsplace likes this.
  15. sawzall

sawzall

I make some of the brackets for 1940 ford woodie...

Pewsplace likes this.
  16. woody jim

woody jim

105_0446.JPG 105_0449.JPG 105_0453.JPG 100_0178.JPG 100_0179.JPG FOR THE CALIBER OF THE WOODY YOU ARE BUILDING, WHY WOULD YOU LOOK FOR THE CHEAPEST PRICE WHEN THE WOOD IS WHAT YOU SEE, THE GUY I CONSIDER THE BEST OF THE BEST IS, DAVE MARTIN, 920-825-7497----- MARTINANTIQUE.COM-----LOOK ON HIS [email protected], IT WILL SHOW YOU WHAT HE CAN DO, HE BUILT 2 WOODY FOR ME, NOTICE THERE ARE NO BOLTS GOING THU THE WOOD, LOOK AT THE BACK WINDOW, ALSO I DO HAVE A 40 WOODY

tr_rodder, Pewsplace and olcurmdgeon like this.
  17. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

That is going to be a really nice woody. Jim's building my first choice of 40 there, a woody with a cammer. but that was before i found out how much both are, so I have a sedan with a 348.
    It looks like a stock width chassis at the back, what size wheels/tyres are back there, and do you know/can find out what width the rear end is? I want to try and sneak my 8x15 kidney beans under the back end of mine, so any info would be appreciated. Looking forward to more pics/updates

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

T
    The rear wheel wells have had mini tubs fabricated to accommodate larger tires and wheels. So you could fit in the 8 x 16 wheels and tires.

IMG_0661.jpg image3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    woody jim, willysguy and The 39 guy like this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Thanks for the pics, i thought that might be the case, another little job!

20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I'm still dreaming and back on a 1940 Ford Woodie Wagon. Anyone have one in progress they could share some photos. Wood prices are $50K in CA so maybe a complete one would be cheaper.
    IMG_2181 (3).jpg

21. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Been a while, but any updates on either yours or Jims Woodie? Just found this saved thread and love a 40 woody