Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Standard Vs Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergusonic, Aug 10, 2009.

1. while we have a ton of good tech info here for the cars, maybe we could have the interchange on the pickups as well? I hear a complete std frontend can be bolted on a truck, but can you use a Standard car hood and Standard grill with your pu fenders? Is there a difference between a Std car and std truck grille?
    thanks, Hans

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Although they look the same, there is a difference between the pickup fenders and hood.

3. if memory serves the truck fenders have a falt flange to bolt to truck cab where teh car fenders are angled to match the car body but you can massage the flange so you can bolt on to a truck cab....what about length?

4. OHEKK

OHEKK

My 39 Deluxe is for sale

SBC w/th350

Bodywork done

needs wiring harness, paint and upholstery

PM if interested

Attached Files:

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You DO know that 2 40 DeLuxe hoods make a right stylish canoe, don't you?

6. I had a '40 deluxe in the '50's. All the guys with standards wanted deluxe models which were considered nicer better looking cars. I still like the deluxe better, but it's funny how things change.

7. Never saw a chopped 40 that looked in proportion. Leave the top alone. It's so much work to ruin the lines of a sharp car.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, If you like the looks of a '39 Deluxe grille, can that just bolt grille & hood onto a 1940?

9. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

sold mine to some guy in Houston anyone seen it out

Attached Files:

10. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

1940 Ford pass. car fenders are just a little different than trucks. Exactly as Hans put it, you will just have to bend the lip where the fender mounts to the cab. Also the hoods might interchange "physically" but the truck has a complete different body lines.

11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

The fenders & hood on a passenger car are longer than those parts on a PU. They look the same, but they aren't. This question comes up here all the time, there are tons of posts about it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

I cant say I have ever heard that, I think thats a good ol'wise tale. Most posts I have read deal with the swiching front end sheetmetal componets not working between a 42-48 and a 40-41 due to a different frame in 42. The braceing is all the same and inner fenders are the same, where is the change?

13. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Acorrding to Drake and Early Ford, the 40 truck and std. coupe use the same upper mount, grill, inner fenders, front fender brace panels, outer grill plates, lower front hood moulding,and radiator grill lower panel.

14. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

The difference is in the skirt area between the rear of the wheel opening and the running board. On a car, it's longer. The aprons interchange because the rear portion is just a scoop to allow hot air to exit the engine compartment, so there is room for the "adjustment" to fit car or PU.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Labold

Labold

'40 Deluxe and '40 Standard. I bought the black standard to replace the burgundy deluxe and ended up changing my mind. I found myself more attached to the deluxe than I thought I was so I ended up selling the Standard. It was cool having both cars in the garage to compare though.

Attached Files:

• 54.JPG
      54.JPG
      File size:
      127.2 KB
      Views:
    • 52.JPG
      52.JPG
      File size:
      134.3 KB
      Views:
    • 55.JPG
      55.JPG
      File size:
      177.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Yip the front brackets are different!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the Standard. It just looks better to ME!

18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have a 40 Standard and like it better than the Deluxe but I like a 39 Deluxe grille best of all and that is what I am putting on mine.

19. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

1937 Ford has windshield wipers on the cowl. Not all models though.
    Convertible, sedan delivery, etc.

20. That rocks!

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2---but I wonder why

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2--I'm on my 5th 40 and had no idea---thanks.

23. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Love that front end---

24. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

To answer your question Merc-O, the '39 deluxe grille is not I repeat NOT the same as a '41 truck. When I bought my '41 pu, it had a '39 deluxe grille, and looked like crap. The '39 hood and grille are a little more "blunt" by about an inch. Your '41 hood will "over bite" the grille, and your hood latch won't line up. I pulled out the '39 and bought a Bob Drake '40-41 standard grille and it looks and fits great.

25. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not what i would like to hear! that grill is sooo much nicer then the stock grill. theres gotta be a way! maybe if i come a cross a beater grill for cheap maybe i'd try to finagle it in.

26. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

for shits and giggles would you happen to have a picture with the 39 grill in?

27. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Merc-O here are before and after pics. Not a huge difference, but enough to see with the nude eye. I wanted the truck to look right, and that "over bite" just bugged the S**T out of me. I think the height and width would be fine, but the depth from radiator to hood latch is , like I said about an inch. And it is enough to see. A '40 standard passenger grille will work. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Steve

28. easyrider47

easyrider47

Isn't it the 39's that had the windshield wipers mounted over the windshield. My buddys 40 Standard has the wipers cowl mounted.

29. easyrider47

easyrider47

Here's a question for you 40 guys. Nothing important, just trivial. Did Standsrd and Deluxe have different Dasah comnponents? My old 40 Deluxe had the ash trays on the ends of the dash that had a littel door that lifted up to reveal the ashtray. Some I've seen have the pull out tryp ashtrays in the same spot..same size and all. What's up, early and later production or Deluxe and Standard?

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Early & late production on the ashtrays. The main difference in the dash is the instrument panel. Standard looks like the truck and deluxe has an insert over the guages.