Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Pickup Build - 74 years in the family

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEM, Oct 26, 2014.

1. BEM

BEM

I've been lurking around here for over a year and thought I'd introduce my new project.

In 1940 my great-grandfather bought a new pickup truck. He was a painter and used the truck as a work truck for many, many years. In 1961, my great-grandfather gave the truck to my father who was then 14 at the time. It was his first truck and he used it for several years before going off to Viet Nam in 1963. He returned, but never really drove the truck regularly again. It was in and out of the garage (mostly in) for the last 40+ years. In the fall of 2013 my father gave the truck to me and asked that I redo the truck.

Here are some rough pics when I got it in the garage and started tearing into it.

It was pretty solid, but I quickly realized the box was probably shot.

I spent a lot of time looking for a local shop that could do the work I needed, but also appreciate what I was trying to do. After meeting with half a dozen places I chose Bob at Midwest Fabrication, a jalopyjournal member. They just seemed to 'get' what I was trying to accomplish.

Plans for it are to remain mostly stock, but lower it down, run some wide-whites, put some speed parts on the engine, and make it look nice. The plans are for Guards Red paint and Tacoma Cream stock wheels with wide whites.

Here are some pics of it going off to Midwest Fabrication and some shots of it back from the blaster.

The one real problem area is on the frame. Bob thinks they can fix it. I hope he's right.

I've ordered a lot of new sheetmetal, including new box, from Northern Classic Truck and Bob Drake.

I'll post questions and progress as I go along. I appreciate your input and insight on this build.

~Brian

2. BEM

BEM

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Brian: Welcome to the Hamb. The truck isn't really all that bad. Sounds like you are already quite busy with it. Be sure and keep sending us pics so we can follow along. Have fun!! Tim

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool truck! I bet there are some guys here that would like to have that old bed.

5. Great that you have a project, with family history from day one.
    Good luck, keep us updated.

6. Long history with the truck will make it much more special.

The frame can be repaired but it's not that hard to come up with a original replacement if necessary. HRP

7. Very cool... the truck AND the history

8. seatex

seatex

Welcome to the board. you are indeed lucky to have a truck with such family history! You've found the right shop, Bob Bleed can do damn near anything, and if he says he thinks he can fix it, he probably can. Congrats, and we'll look forward to updates! jb

9. BEM

BEM

Yeah, the old box will be available for sale. I'll get some pics of it.

Looking forward to getting it done. Will be looking for some advice on how to get it low. Plan is for a drop front axle and new reverse eye spring, bug what's the best combo to get it down?

Rear will be a reworked crossmember and stock spring. How many leaves should I take out as a starting spot for ride quality?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

That's cool. I'm also a house painter, been one for 35 years. Keep the pictures coming. HRD

11. The bed is the same '38-'41 and looks better than the one on my '38. Really great to have the family history connected to the truck, looks like a very nice cab and fenders. Nice '38-'41 rear fenders are hard to find.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your a lucky guy. Take care of the truck and drive it everyday.

13. BEM

BEM

Well, Bob is just getting started on the frame and body repair, but as it progresses I will definitely share. I travel a lot, so will put some up as I can.

I've done a number of restorations, but this is my biggest by far so I'm farming more of it out.

14. BEM

BEM

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

That truck has the perfect stance, good choice!

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

BEM,
    The stance your looking for can be had with the suspension offered by Posies Rod and Custom Parts.
    Here is their website: http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/
    They offer a "In-Da-Dirt" front suspension kit, as well as rear suspension options.
    I'd suggest picking up the phone and giving them a call.
    Glenn

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

BEM,
    Welcome, great family history on that truck. This is how I "flattened" the rear c/m on mine, I set it up for a 42-48 Passenger car spring (1 1/2" narrower) to gain 3/4" per side shackle to sidewall clearance. Northern Classic Trucks supplied the box, great people to deal with. Good luck ! IMG_3186.JPG IMG_5041.JPG

Outback, PONTNAK123, BradinNC and 4 others like this.
  18. BEM

BEM

That sits perfect. What did you do all around to get it to sit like that?

Where can I see more of your truck? That's great.

19. tofords

tofords

I love 40 trucks and I really like your color scheme. Frank

20. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool truck, cool history!

21. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Love your project! IMHO, about the only thing you can do to improve the looks of a 40 pickup is add chrome headlight doors and lower it. The bed on mine is also from Northern Classic Trucks. The workmanship is flawless and the prices are great, especially compared to restoring an original bed. Looking forward to your progress.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here are a couple of shots of the chassis. The rear c/m is "flattened 2 3/4". Dropped axle with reversed eye spring up front. When it is completed (fully loaded) I would like to lower the rear 1" and raise the front 1" as well. Normally I play with the spring stacks to get the preferred ride, and adjust the arch of the springs to finalize the ride height. It sounds like you are in good hands with Bob, he'll get it right. IMG_5042.JPG IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3168.JPG IMG_5051.JPG

23. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I'm a big 40 ford truck fan, and Bob is a close friend of mine, he will take good care of you.

24. BEM

BEM

Well, so far Bob has been great to work with. I think he's treating me right and works well with me given that I travel a lot and can't be around much to work out issues. He seems to get it.

Here are some updated pictures of progress they are making on the frame.

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it's going to be a nice truck and I'll be watching. Flathead?

26. BEM

BEM

Yes. The original flatty goes out for rebuild this weekend.

27. Wow,
    Great truck,
    Great history,
    Great builder.
    Wow!

28. mj40's

mj40's

29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Lovin it so far!...that red could be dodge "flame red"......it's on dodge trucks, jeeps etc....(my 65 too!)

30. BEM

BEM

Spent the weekend with family and my Dad found some old photos of the truck. The first is from Nov 1964. My Dad had just gone into the Navy and that's my grandfather washing it and putting it away. The second is 1968 after Dad got out of the Navy. Those wheels are 15" Mercury wheels that have the centers cut out and reversed to give it a big dish. I still have those wheels, but won't be running them.

Those hubcaps in the first picture are long gone. Kinda cool. Dad thinks they were 50's Oldsmobile caps.

BradinNC and kidcampbell71 like this.