Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Tudor Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Jul 20, 2023.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, everything has to start somewhere! Someone once told me that always start with the best car you can afford to cut down on build expenses. I guess I am trying that out this time...

So short story! I have wanted a 33-34 for quite a while now. I have been playing with Model A's for a while now also... The stars aligned, a nice couple bought my A coupe I had. I had found this car and put a deposit on it cause I liked that it was a solid survivor with no rust... Granted, Id love a 3 window coupe but the money is just not there yet as I build and sell and roll it all back into the new build. So maybe one day.

Thankfully I found this Tudor on here, gota love the Hamb.... Paid to have it transported, as 700 bucks wouldn't cover hotel and fuel for me going to get it. This was a first for me also, buying a car sight unseen...

So plans... The plan is FENDERED, little lower, right now it has roller steel wheels and tires on it, they don't look bad but I have a love for 17" and 18" wires! We shall see how that goes. But the plan is to fix alot of little tid bit things, make it a bulletproof road car. Its already got a 24 stud in it... I just picked up a sharp 2x2 intake. The rear fenders need some love, the top on the passenger side needs some massaging where the barn laid up against it.

Here are the sale photos to get us started... I will have more updates and pics coming soon. Stay tuned folks!!!!

31-1.jpg 34-2.jpg 34-3.jpg 34-8.jpg 34-10.jpg

2. That is an excellent 34 in my mind! It has the more modern 59AB engine - and it might be recently rebuilt (looks very clean). Great start - wish it was mine! LOL

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On your mark, get set, GO. Looks like a great start.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  4. Good score!! Congrats!

5. BJR

BJR

Very clean original car. Hard to find now a days.

6. Great car to start with. Keep us posted.

7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Nice like that doesn't happen everyday.
    Such a rare condition. Good time s ahead.

8. cederholm

cederholm

Woah! Nice, very nice!

9. Wow! Looks like a great start and I will be following along as you make it even better! :cool:

10. Liked your other stuff, going to love this.

11. Beautiful start for you!

12. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Very nice, I see why the A had to go.

13. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Tudors are very family friendly
    I can get all 5 grandkids in my 28

Nice 34 fursure

14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yeah, sad as it was, this was a step up I think. I am not done with A's just taking a hiatus. haha

JalopyJimbo likes this.
  15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So here we are 1 week in... Alot of rewiring, and lowering the battery box to fit the taller battery and have a floor filler installed over it.

If you don't know what success feels like, its pulling 8 screws out of vintage tin with an easy out successfully.

Spent 1 day of working on ebrake and service brake pedals to get them to jive correctly.

Then I wanted to seal the floor under the mat that will be installed or carpet to make sure it lasts. So I did a good ole Por15 topcoat on there.

I had to re adjust the hinges on the drivers door, it was making contact with the inner striker plate only and the gaps were stupid tight at the rear, so bent the hinge and got it aligned where its hitting the stock wear points on the striker 100% so Id say its as good as henry did it.

Few update photos... Wiring in progress, will have more on this as I am adding a 4 circuit fuse panel that fits the era under the dash.
    34-2.jpg

Here is the battery hold down I had to remove and rebuild the battery box structure to fit and hold down the battery in the correct location. Figured everyone needs a just for laughs but it worked.... The terminals were sticking above the floor and this box needed to be corrected asap.

34-3.jpg

Floor before and after... It was 100 % scrubbed out and rust was killed before sealing as a precaution also. I had to easy out all of the trans cover bolts. You can see the new battery terminal and hold down is hanging in there now like a champ. Movement controlled in all 4 axis. Hold down good and tight.

34-4.jpg
    34-5.jpg

And here is how she sits in the garage just have it on wheel dollys to move around now. Its a little larger than an A for sure!

1934-1.jpg

Going to do my best to clean up the fenders and brush paint them. I don't want perfect, and these rear fenders are rough and 1 needs alot of work, and I am not going to use any bondo here... I honestly think I am where @HOTRODPRIMER is in life where fancy paint is overrated....

Stay tuned for more fun and goodness in week 2....

16. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

My early Ford experience consisted of 3 Model A's within a 2 year period, about a decade ago. With each one being better than the previous one. When I decided I had to have another, I was after a 30-31 Tudor. I ended up with a 32 Model B truck. No knock on Model A's, I'd buy another, but I think the B is a step up. I hope a Model B Tudor finds it's way to me sometime in the near future.
    You did well. Enjoy the process of getting it where you want it.

Thor1, Outback, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  17. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

BBD7D768-E3CA-4B31-B040-8FE1BFB7CCD6.jpeg

110 vac converter?
    nice

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drats... the stars aligned and I totally missed it.

Well, at least you didn't.

Very nice. Happy for you!

19. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Spooky, Stogy and CSPIDY like this.
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Thanks brother....

Stogy likes this.
  21. patterg2003

patterg2003

You have found yourself a great car. Carter Restorations takes some seriously damaged fenders and coaxes them back to a very presentable fender. He has a 2 car garage and does most of his body work with simple tools like a body, slapper, dolly, bullseye pick, sidergrinder and amazing patience. You can't take the names of his videos serious as many are the opposite of what he actually does. He explains what he is doing and makes it possible for somone to learn and do for themselves. Here is one example and there are a few throughout his videos on classic cars. Here is one example where the before is the completed primed fender and the after is actually what he started with. They may help with should you want to repair your fenders.

22. Yes, his videos are good for explaining the process involved.

23. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Very cool car! Nice find.

24. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats on your find.

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well, mid weekend update!!

Found a few brackets that need welding on fenders/ boards etc, so pulled them all off for the time being.

Digging around under the hood, I saw this out of the corner of my eye... 2 bullet holes from inside the car out... Ive never seen this in that area before. So thought it was a cool thing to show off... Maybe she has some MOB ties!

So kingpins were destroyed... shackle bushings were destroyed... Funny thing, one shackle bushing was replaced with a piece of pipe inside the leaf spring.

So disassembly time and seeing what we have here! Front brakes pads look good, wedges etc. The wire wheel on the grinder as brutal, removing all 90 years of grease from the spindles and axle. There were some additional leafs added to the spring pack as they don't match early ford stuff at all. Comical honestly!

Stay tuned for painted and repaired pics, along with some leaf spring massaging.

IMG_5738.jpg

Gota love the view!!!!
    IMG_5734.jpg

Some double tap action!
    IMG_5728.jpg IMG_5727.jpg

53 effie, Jacksmith, WC145 and 8 others like this.
  26. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Does the car have a heater?,i seem to remember reading a story one time how they used a rifle to "blast" the holes for the heater pipes?.They used a 303 rifle and a bucket of sand on the other side to catch the bullet as it went through the firewall,it was a fictional story,but i guess it would work.Electric drills were a real luxury back in the 40's i guess. Cool car you have there,good luck with it. harvey

27. RodStRace

RodStRace

I second Carter's channel. His humor is almost as strong as his metal shaping skills.
    Wow, that front end, battery install and the MSD coil/visible wiring point to going through the entire thing carefully. There were some questionable people involved in the history of that car!

28. MiHiHemi

MiHiHemi

Nice! Will be fun to watch your progress. These Tudors are just plain sexy IMO.

29. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

I really enjoyed your last Model A build thread, cant wait to see where you take this one!

30. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm here because I saw your name attached to this thread, will follow along with interest!