Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Chevy 1/2 ton Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redwelter, Aug 31, 2010.

1. 57chevy350

57chevy350

Hey any one you can check out my youtube just type in57chevy350 and thats me .

2. redwelter

redwelter

It's been a while since my last post but I haven't been sittin still. The cowl has a new 16 guage firewall, nice and smooth. Then the cowl braces that connect it to the frame rails have been welded to the firewall. Once that was is place the floor bracing could start. Thanks to SkippyCraig, I now have rocker panels so those were tacked in place. The b pillars have been tacked to the sub floor tubing which has made the whole cab pretty solid. I can now rock the whole truck back and forth by pushing on the cab with no movement in the cab itself and it's only tack welded! That shifter in the photo isn't the permanent set up, its just temporary for mock up, I just wanted a knob to hold on to. A huge thanks to 57chevy350, for all his help over the last couple of weeks.

Red

Attached Files:

3. Red, nice fab work on the cab back panel. It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. I'm glad to see it's coming along. Keep up the good work.
    Tom

4. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Cool truck and build!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Nice work on your truck there Red.
    I am also just starting to do my 34 chev 1/2 ton.Just starting to make door post's for the door to hang on.Ton's of work and lots of thinking Good Luck and keep up the good work.Would of posted a picture but dont know how Joe Mac

6. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks guys, again a big thanks to 57chevy350, we accomplished a ton of work in 2 weeks of late nights after getting home from work. Good luck wood remover, keep us posted.

Red

7. here are a couple of photos of my truck and where I am at know joe mac

Attached Files:

8. redwelter

redwelter

That looks awesome, love those headlights! And the wire wheels too.
    Keep it up.

Red

9. 57chevy350

57chevy350

Hey anytime red ! cool pics WOOD REMOVER Nice truck Keep it up boys !

10. redwelter

redwelter

Here's the new gas tank mounted, the under dash pedal assembly mocked in place and the first two floor panels in place but not welded in yet.

Red

Attached Files:

11. Lookin; good Red! Nice fab work.

12. 57chevy350

57chevy350

Nice work RED keep it up !!!

13. redwelter

redwelter

Here's a shot of my new floor welded in and the under dash pedal assembly in place as well as the hand brake which is from a 34 chevy car found on ebay mounted.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A couple things I would do differently if it were mine; I'd box the frame first and foremost. I would mount the upper 4-link bars on the rear axle close to the pumpkin (not out towards the wheels), and i'd mount the other ends at the boxed frame. Basically opposite to what you have now. If you look at the forward mounting brackets on your bars, they are made to be mounted at the frame, not towards the center like your mock-up.

15. redwelter

redwelter

I should have mentioned I am boxing the frame. My plan was
    to lay out any cross members that are needed, run them out
    to the outer wall of the frame rail and then box around them.
    The reason for reversing the upper links is that I didn't like the way
    they lined up when they were in the conventional orientation.
    They are still in a triangulated arrangement this way, and only
    tacked in so I can still look at doing it the other way. The axle
    mounts would be on the pumpkin which I didn't want.

Red

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Gotcha. The way you have them layed out will work, it'll just introduce a little more 'bind' than if you reverse the "V". I hate bind, hence my suggestion. But your setup will work.

Digging your build, looking forward to more progress pics!

17. muffman58

muffman58

Nice! Looks like a great truck to start with. Good luck with the build.

18. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks for the advice Voodoo, part of the problem is I bought a universal kit which didn't come with instructions and there is little info on how these work so I'm basing my lay out on what I can find online. Another question I have is about the angle front to back, can they both slope downward or should the upper link set slope up towards the rear axle? In other words, can all 4 links be parallel to each other when you look from the side of the vehicle?

Thanks muff, I'm trying to keep it moving forward so it doesn't take too long.

Red

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Red, if this is going to be a street-driven truck (as opposed to a mega-hp dragstrip vehicle), then the angle of the rods will be of little consequence. Run them in any manner that suits your build and clearances for other items.

Pay attention to the clearance between the mounting tabs and the underside of your bed. Don't ask me why I say this. Benefit from my dopey mistakes. :eek::D

20. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Are you going to run a trackbar with that setup? There does not appear to be enough triangulation to do without one now. You will get a lot of sideways movement of the axle going into corners the way it is now.

Cheers

21. phatim

phatim

Glad I found this . Im currently working on a 31 Chevy 1/2 ton. Do you have a bed for yours ?

Awesome build by the way. Nice seeing something besides a Ford.... ha

22. redwelter

redwelter

Hi phatim, I don't have a bed yet, actually I have the original bed sides and front but they're not salvageable. I'm looking at a Mar-K bed maybe. You might wanna check out Last Refuge Hot Rod in Colorado, they have the best prices I've found so far. Good luck with the build. Go Chevy.

Red

23. redwelter

redwelter

Here's my truck as it sits today, fatman front end is in and the trailing arm rear 4 link is in. The rear fenders are from the filling station, nice reproductions. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380050705.928308.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. redwelter

redwelter

Here's the truck with some more sheet metal attached. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381079014.311707.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381079029.462173.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Lookin' good!

26. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks Mike, long time. keep in touch.

27. Looks good,
    Perfect stance!

28. redwelter

redwelter

Thanks Flowmeister, I love the stance too, since I put the fenders and running boards on it looks even meaner.

Red

29. redwelter

redwelter

Hey its been quite a while but there has been some progress. I just installed a bed kit to complete the body. The cab is finally bolted to the frame for the first time. And I now have a triple rochester intake ready to go onto the motor. If I keep this up it might be a driver one day.

Red
    IMG_0508.jpg IMG_0504.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Bed looks good. Did you end up going for the Mar-K bed? Happy with the quality?