Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934/35 Buick Coupes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey Hambers

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows much about the scarcity of 1934/35 Buick coupes? Particularly the 90 Series. I'd love to get my mitts on one as a project, but I wonder if its just a pipe dream and that they can't be found in a rough and ready state to build up as a resto-rod (more resto than rod). I assume there aren't many around at all, but I don't know that for sure. Any thoughts on the matter would be great. Here's one.

1934 buick series 90.jpg

Cheers

J

2. I have a buddy with the small-body version of a 35 Buick. He was able to find it locally [in the U.S.] pretty cheap and dropped in a small block/350 turbo. It looks tiny in that engine bay! He also used a complete suspension with it's crossmember from a 54 chevy car. Built the car in the late 70s 35buickarthazelton.jpg

3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

That's a tough looking Buick. Has it had a subtle chop on it? Hard to tell with the Buicks as the roof is already rather low. Yes I just wanted to reach for something a little different. While everyone is snapping up the chevys and fords of the day I wanted to rescue something that otherwise might be overlooked.

4. I had a '34 series 6o coupe project a while back. Beautiful lines. There are a few of those around......never seen one of the bigger versions though.
    Mine had a really cherry body, but needed all the wood replaced. I knew I'd never get it done, so I sold it

5. Nope, no chop. Art replaced all the rotted wood himself from oak, including a beautiful stained/polished oak floor. He couldn't bear to cover it with carpet so he has a few throw rugs..

6. gggholson

gggholson

1934 90 Series Production Model 96S Sport Coupe w/rumble seat 137
    Model 98 Coupe 347
    Model 98X 1

1935 Series 90 Production Model 96S Sport Coupe 41
    Model 96SX 1
    Model 98 32

Production numbers from "The Buick a Complete History" by Terry Dunham.

I think the Model 98's were Victoria Bodies. All in all, Good Luck in finding one. There none listed in the 2014 Buick Club of America Roster. Certainly one might exist in a private collection.

7. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

About 15 years ago there was a guy that brought one to the La roadster show swap meet, as I recall he was asking about $12,000 , nice all orig but not running, I still think about it.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

DSC05220_zps6458f1a3.jpg

HiAlt2014023.jpg

HiAlt2014024.jpg
    Not a coupe but a local '34 Victoria

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have had a "34 series 40 for over 40 years still in garage unfinished. This was the cheapest car Buick made. Not even tail light on right side. about 11,000 total made in 34&35. Saw a 90 series at Buick nationals several years ago.Very nice expensive car.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the big Buicks of the 30's are fabulous cars. I hope they are restored and not modified. Of course I am biased, as I have had a few. The straight 8 will propel them wonderfully.

I currently have a 32 96S coupe that is certainly a car to behold

11. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

So I suppose the 90 series is a bit of a stretch in terms of price and availability. I appreciate the extra length that the 90 series has, but I imagine scarcity dictates that I can't be fussy. I'm sure I'd be happy with rough 33,34,35 Buick Coupe 60 series that needed a resto. I agree bobwop about restoration over modifying them. They came out of the factory pretty well perfect.

Can anyone identify what series this is?

34 Buick.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am thinking it is a 60

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I had a '33 Buick 90 series Victoria several years back. I bought it from a restorer who had given up on it because the body was so bad. All of the wood had rotted away and took lots of the sheetmetal with it. Marty Pierson, God rest his wonderful soul, turned it into a hot rod for me. It was featured in the October 1996 issue of Street Rodder. A truly beautiful car.

Now I apologise for my rambling, but to get back to your original question, I really doubt that you will be able to find ANY 90 series Buick of that vintage for affordable money UNLESS you find one that is, essentially, un-saveable. To begin with there were so few made by Buick that the survival rate has to be extremely small. Second, many of the 90 series were designated as full classics by the CCCA and that, in itself, places those cars on plateau with the likes of the Cadillacs and Lincolns which many times had custom bodies from Brunn, LeBaron and other sophisticated coach works. Parts for these cars are like hens teeth simply because they are so rare. So, if you do find one be SURE that all the parts are there.

Nevertheless, I found mine, for $2600!, and was able to build it into a stunning and very unusual hot rod. Good luck to you on your quest. I wish I could be more helpful with finding you a specific car.

14. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Big Geroge here on the HAMB last year was trying to sell his 34 Buick coupe project. I am not sure if it ever sold. Send him a PM.

15. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Everyone always talks about replacing the wood in these cars, and from what I've read, people seem to struggle with it a bit. What parts are made of wood? And is it particularly difficult to replace it when its rotten?

16. Pretty much everything structural inside the body is wood....including the floor subrails, door and window surrounds, etc. The sheetmetal is basically a skin tacked on.
    If the original wood is still there, it can at least it can be used for patterns. If missing, it makes for a huge task....

17. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

What appeals to me is getting a car off the scrap heap that would otherwise be destined to be made into spoons, so I anticipate the chassis could be an issue. Considering that I want a car I can drive all the time, should I consider some kind of chassis swap for practical reasons? Or is that just plain ol sacrilege?

18. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

If there was an old rusty shell of one of these things lying around that would be PERFECT for me. Any series so long as its a coupe. Does anyone have any leads?