Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DragonMotorSports, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mines a 32 and I'm not sure of the detail of the upper screen area behind the visor on an A, but hope this helps.
    Chris 20240313_152141.jpg 20240313_152233.jpg

X38, Just Gary and RodStRace like this.
  2. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I don't see why the motor you have wouldn't work. It's a universal motor but there are tons installed in hot rod A's.

winduptoy likes this.
  3. Thanks, I see on yours it works but my shaft thru hole is in the windshield frame.

IMG_3013.jpeg

I also just got the following from the vendor, and not opening the window for the airflow is not an option in SWFL.

IMG_3011.jpeg

Just Gary likes this.
  4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mighty Wiper has already been mentioned by @X38. The housing on those is very small in comparison with the one you have and could possibly be mounted to the screen frame. But it sounds like you really need AC, and Dynamat.

Chris

5. My friend @Some Guy has an electric wiper on his 30 coupe since he built it (late 90s) and the windshield opens fine. His was the small hot rod wiper similar to a Mighty Wiper and he had to extend the shaft to go through the windshield frame...I doubt you have to do that now (someone makes an extended shaft version).

Something like this but way crappier. I'm going the same route on my '28 Tudor.
    [​IMG]

Mighty Wiper if you want a real switch:
    https://raingearwipers.com/mighty-wiper/

A 2 B, Jkmar73 and Just Gary like this.
  6. On my Model A the wiper motor hole was in the header, above the windshield frame.
    Note, that was a slant window Victoria, which was designed without a visor.

7. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Whoever told you that from CW Moss is uninformed. That's bad info.

A 2 B likes this.
  8. Not bad information. It is common sense that if a motor is mounted inside the car to a surface that does not rotate, and the shaft of the motor goes thru a windshield frame that rotates out that the shaft would snap off if the windshield were to rotate out to get some air flow thru the car.

9. The universal wiper motor that you showed, mounts above the swing out windshield frame, in the windshield header.
    The wiper blade arm has a spring that allows the windshield to open.

A 2 B and lurker mick like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car had a "side mount spare" in the fender. The bracket mounted on the frame and came thru the splash apron. That is the hole for the bracket arm. It has the stock rubber grommet with a plug in it....it may still have the bracket on the frame...or not

11. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Are the holes in the header what someone did to modify it in the past 93 years?

Some of this stuff you're going to have to solve yourself. Here's a link to restoration style installs that might help you figure it out. https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...A%20Wipers.pdf

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. jaracer

jaracer

Newport Engineering has the best wiper system by far. Their system works fine with the tilt out windshield. They are a little pricey compared to others, but the quality is top notch.

DragonMotorSports and winduptoy like this.
  14. Yes, that is the point I was trying to tell everyone, but my car has the shaft going through the frame of the tilt out window and why the one I bought couldn’t be used.

15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I put that wiper on my avatar, then learned that the upper half of my windshield did not get rain on it, Sure some drops but not enough to warrant the wiper motor which is dead center in your vision. Its not needed. I took it off 20 years ago.

16. So, you’re saying that you’re not using anything for a wiper, and still drive in the rain?

17. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Rain-X is all I use, driven in heavy rain, no problem. 100_7919.JPG

winduptoy likes this.
  18. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Just Gary layed it out perfectly.
    Mine is apart for paint now but the wiper worked fine and the glass tilted out nicely. The wiper arm just articulates and the wiper blade stays planted on the windshield. There is not that much movement on the hinge side of the windshield.
    I bought a set of two of the stainless steel bodied 12V wipers that have shafts which you custom cut to the size you need. They come with all the hardware and rubber seals needed. It has been a while but I believe they are genuine chinesium from Ebay. I also use Rain-X but the wipers were a legal requirement. I took a pic of the wiper I haven't used yet.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the shaft does go through the hole in the windshield frame but the wiper body is mounted to the metal trim which is in turn mounted under the wood header.

DSC07807.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    winduptoy and Just Gary like this.