Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DragonMotorSports, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Without pictures we will have to take your word on that ;)

chryslerfan55 and Hellbentrodder like this.
  2. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Great car! All the "recommendations" can be done over time, just enjoy the car. Whatever you do, DO NOT REMOVE THE FENDERS!!!

2FORCEFULL and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Yes, safety issues. If you don't get it you don't get it. Also, the driver's side panhard mount almost always welds to the chassis.

The fuel tank is only an issue if an incident occurs. The suspension has issues that could affect drivability or degrade from use.

To someone who bought the car and doesn't realize, I'd hope it would be valuable information.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yes, I welcome ALL constructive replies. I know First Gen Camaro’s, Model A’s not so much yet.
    _

chryslerfan55 and 05snopro440 like this.
  5. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Two things:

1. I'm not sure what is going on with those plug wires and why the front on each side is blue and the rest are black. I'm thinking the previous owner(s) had issues with burning wires?
    2. The original fuel tank is considered by many to be dangerous, with the fuel in your lap. As long as it doesn't leak it's fine. However, I strongly advise you get rid of that glass-bodied fuel filter. I had one like that on my truck for a couple years. I was leaving a hotel for a 6 hour highway trip and noticed it leaking fuel. They have a tendency to strip and leak due to vibration after a period of time. The fuel filter on a mechanical fuel pump setup should be after the pump typically as well. A steel or aluminum filter is your best bet. I'm not keen on all those adapters and connectors between the tank and pump but that may or may not become an issue.

1931FordModelA67-73231.jpg

pprather and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Sharp eye caught something I had not noticed, perhaps simply wires he had a collection of?

Those and the fuel filter are first things I have plans to replace.
    _

05snopro440 likes this.
  7. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I'm unsure what they're using the reservoir on the front of the engine for. It's a power steering reservoir from Unisteer, but the car doesn't have power steering. Maybe they're using it for radiator expansion?

Curious.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car, sits just right, like the wheels & tires. If you are new to Model A's that gas shut off is from a late 1931. Are you still using the original cowl gas tank? Bob

9. Technically I’m still using everything but not using anything as the car is still in transit :(

Toms Dogs likes this.
  10. Is this an oil pressure sending unit, not seen a part like this before?

IMG_2407.png

11. Nothing except in the video from BAT he indicates that speedometer and odometer are not working.
    _

12. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Looks like it. The knurled thumb screw is interesting.

13. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

If you ever move the tank rearward and then run the fuel line down the frame, I would highly recommend using a canister fuel filter as close to the tank as you can. I always use a delco (or delco style one like SoCal sells). Here’s some pics of the styles I’ve used.

IMG_6375.jpeg IMG_6374.jpeg IMG_6373.png IMG_6370.png

14. Thanks, I’ll have to do some research on installing a tank in the rear?

15. I don’t have car yet to be sure but one of the receipts that I have show that it does?

IMG_2408.jpeg

16. If the Model A speedo works, all that is needed is a correct length speedo cable with the correct Ends for A speedo and GM Trans.
    Rusty, @e1956v can Fab what you need.
    I put over a 100k miles on my A with original tank with no problem. Moving it is unnecessary in my experience.

DragonMotorSports likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just looked on BAT, there are pictures there that clearly show that it has a speedo cable on it

18. Tried searching for that brand but came up empty, does anyone have a link to a "Zip" type unit?
    _

19. 05snopro440

05snopro440

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Zips-SBC-Small-Block-Chevy-V8-Water-Pump-Riser-Kit,58831.html

The only reason it is being mentioned is because people here have a hate for electric fans because they're not traditional. They'll tell you mechanical fans work better and a ton of other things, but it's a preference deal. IMO it's not worth changing if it doesn't bother you and the car doesn't overheat.

pprather and 2FORCEFULL like this.
  20. I suspect I might be someone that doesn't have an issue with electric fans. For me it is trying to make sure that the car does not overheat. With that being said there is no guaranty that an electric fan will not fail.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Camaros and LS engines are strictly off topic here. Please read the rules for the site here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

22. 05snopro440

05snopro440

As you saw, posting stuff like that here will get you scolded, your hand slapped, or your post removed. Even photos of off topic stuff aren't looked on favourably. This isn't like other car forums (I'll hold back my opinion on that).

If you're fine with the electric fan, just try not to show photos of it in the future and you'll be fine.

Just a word of advice that some of the recommendations you'll get on here are from the viewpoint that everything should be as it was built prior to 1965. Your car doesn't fit that, but it doesn't matter if it's what you like.

I tend to look more on what's concerning for safety and reliability than preference things.

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  23. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

Just to be clear... I don't care, nore am I worried about his car,.. it was kinda Sud jested that he would like some feed back of what others would do if it was theirs..... so I post what I would do ... I have electric fans on my 37 and my 53... both cars have AC so pretty much needed... but I hate them....

24. Yes, I welcome any and all feedback.

Everyone here comes from a very different background and knowledge and I appreciate everyone’s help.
    _

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    2FORCEFULL and 05snopro440 like this.
  25. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

enjoy your car buddy... it has a lot going on.... I like it..

26. Thanks, I’m still waiting for delivery, the transport company is crisscrossing its way across the country with no infinitive ETA yet. The shipping started 10 days ago.

05snopro440 likes this.
  27. Yay! Car was delivered tonight and it is everything that I had hoped.
    I met the drive at the local High School so he would not have to back this truck a mile down a dead end street.

IMG_8220.jpeg

swade41, Tim and guthriesmith like this.
  28. So I have this phrase “The method to the madness” for me it means why something was done the way it was done and typically for a good reason even though it seems crazy.

Tonight I have to wonder what the method to the madness that Henry Ford came up with for the process for locking the doors?

Driver exits the door walks around, opens passenger door, reaches over to lock drivers door, then close and use key to lock passenger door?

_

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 40 Ford is the same way. It was common practice and deemed safer in the past to slide over and exit the car from the passenger side (curb side away from traffic) . you would simply lock the drivers door, then slide over, exit the passenger side and lock the pass door with the key.

Tim, alanp561, 05snopro440 and 2 others like this.
  30. Ok, so The Method to the Madness now makes sense, Thanks.

Moriarity likes this.