Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

Thinking very seriously about going into business making hand cranks to fund my speedster project. I am pretty sure I could make some jigs and “crank” out a few of these every day without breaking a sweat …. IMG_3151.jpeg

grumpy gaby 2 and tractorguy like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Posting it with an asking price in not the same as selling it. :rolleyes: I'd watch this one and see how soon it sells. How much of a market could there be? Must be the OEM thing. They had starters. :eek: I knew a guy that was selling WCFB carbs with the tubes that Vetts had. He even had a little tag maker. Never claimed they were anything special just played dumb and let the greedy think they were screwing him. He sold a lit of them.

grumpy gaby 2 and Dan Morrison like this.
  3. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

I honestly don’t think anyone is gonna pay $300 for a Chevy starting crank, but you never know. On another note … when I bought the 25 touring body, the front doors were missing. I made a short road trip today, I bought 9 old open car doors to get four 25-26 Chevy touring doors . One of the fronts is just a skin and even though it is rusty it is surprisingly solid. They were an auction lot that has changed hands a few times. Good news they were really cheap. If I wanted to build the touring body, I am still missing a latch but building the touring is not currently the plan. I think repairing these front doors will be a lot easier than making new doors or converting rears into fronts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    Kume and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The wood in the one looks pretty solid and has some hardware. The hinges are hidden when closed. Those doors would be the same as my '26 roadster. Grumpy Gabby 2 and I are working together to replace the wood in our roadsters. There is a lot of wood discussion on my build thread. A lot of just talk. I went to a friend's cabinet shop yesterday to talk to him about using his CNC machine to make new wood. We'll see how it works out. The door pieces shouldn't be too bad. Check out my build thread below.

Dan Morrison and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  5. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

I appreciate the build thread, I have been looking, it has a lot of useful info. The funny thing about these doors, I figured I would never find the fronts, I spotted them in a marketplace ad. The guy had no idea they were for a Chevy. I see pics of 25 roadsters and 26 roadsters, the only difference I see is the 25 doesn’t have outside door handles?

Six Ball and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  6. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Dan only the latest 26's had outside door handles. I would say at least 3/4 of the 26's were identical door to 25's.

Dan Morrison and Six Ball like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

GG2 is finding some differences in the wood from the seat back. Most due to the difference in the trunk. My '26 is the only one I have experience with. It does have interior & exterior door handles.

Dan Morrison and grumpy gaby 2 like this.
  8. bct

bct

20230909_123028.jpg

Anyone with a 3 port head hmu .

9. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Nice three springer! Any more pics.?

Dan Morrison and Six Ball like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yes, more pictures please. Is the axle on top of the springs?

Dan Morrison likes this.
  11. CRAIG ADAMS

CRAIG ADAMS

12. CRAIG ADAMS

CRAIG ADAMS

I final have an engine and a body, 27 Ford roaster for the 27 Chevy roaster. And a Chevy 6 for the Chevy 4. At least The chassis is lowered, and the wheels and tire are done.

Carter and Six Ball like this.
  13. bct

bct

Yes it is on the front . Chev rear below a T spring on rear .

Six Ball likes this.
  14. bct

bct

Tons on 3 Springer thread. 20230908_181250.jpg 20230908_165230.jpg

282doorUK, Carter, Kume and 3 others like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking good! Both of you.
    Craig I'm looking for two of those hubcaps. I'd like to find useable originals but haven't yet.
    bct cool, looks pretty tight in there.

16. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison

This is not mine. It was posted on a model T speedster Facebook page. A model T with a 28 Chevy engine ! IMG_4237.jpeg IMG_4238.jpeg IMG_4239.jpeg

bct, tractorguy, Kume and 3 others like this.
  17. chevspeeder

chevspeeder

Does anyone have pictures of a Robert Roof Bandit Chaser head for the Chevy four? I have seen some pics of the outside but wonder what the combustion chambers and valve train look like. Trying to wrap my head around the intake ports coming out of the top of the head.

Six Ball likes this.
  18. chevspeeder

chevspeeder

Saw this in a video on Facebook ! This is cool ! I took some stills from the video. IMG_4458.png

Attached Files:

282doorUK, Stueeee, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  19. bct

bct

What downdraft for stock engine?

20. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Six Ball likes this.
  21. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Outstanding!

Six Ball likes this.
  22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I knew someone who flipped the stock intake manifold upside down and used a Carter model WO from a 1946-52 Jeep.

bct and Six Ball like this.
  23. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

After some renewed vigour and motivation things are happening again for me. ‘25 block, ‘23 Olds head on a ‘23 T oil pan with a ‘27 Transmission. Pendine Sands here we come (in 2030 maybe)

IMG_8746.jpeg

IMG_8750.jpeg

24. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Best get a move on, you can't beat a sea breeze blowing though your pushrods!

Six Ball likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Holy cow, where do you find this stuff in England?

26. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

Thin on the ground for sure. I brought a load of stuff in years ago, sold it all and re bought what’s here. T stuff is relatively easy, Chevrolet not so much

Six Ball likes this.
  27. Kume

Kume

Finally someone following the Gerber recipe to the letter. I cheated and kept the chev transmission but I understand Gerber preferred the T trans for dirt track racing - fast off the mark and quick change or something. Where did I put that book?