Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Price of Speed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Price of Speed...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have been involved with Land Speed awhile, though I have not lost any close friends, but I have know of loses.
    The safety requirements that SCTA has currently, help ensures that in the event of a 'loss of traction' the driver will survive. As an example you can find the videos of the following crashes, not to view in a goulish way but to show the energy of motion. Danny Thompson 180 mph crash in a Mustang, this one shows how the HANS device really works, George Poteet's 300+ crash in the Speed Demon and the most amazing one is Brian Gillespie in his Insght when we lost traction at El Mirage and flipped, tumbled, and end over end more than any other recorded crash. Brian was alert and talking to the rescue team before his helicopter ride to the hospital.
    All racers know the dangers, even the low speeds of our vehicle, but we are not a bunch of holigans drag racing on the street in our overalls.
    SFI firesuits, HANS devices, fire suppression systems (interior and engine), full large-tube roll cages.
    If you want to play with the Big Boys, you have to pay the price, or you will pay the price

longhorizon and wicarnut like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go" The best and the most truthful statement ever made. Believe your post is referring to the other cost of speed, the danger factor, which is the negative side of all motorsports, all involved are aware of it, but it's accepted and understood by all involved, safety has come a long way (sadly, a very high price was paid for safety advancements) AND all drivers think/belive it's not going happen to them, it will be the other driver that has the misfortune of injury or fatality. Raced open wheel, Midgets and finished in wing 410 Sprint cars, total of 21 years, spent some sheet time, had Alot of Fun, great memories, great people, would not trade the memories for anything.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. The price of speed......The very first time I attended B'ville speed week I met my brother and dad at wendover..drove out to the 2 or 2 and a 1/2 mile marker. We pulled in and were setting up an awning against the sun when a roadster approached at 175 mph and flipped the car right in front of us. I had my back to the track and turned around to see mud flying everywhere! Then it all stopped and was dead silent for a few seconds. The rescue people arrived and tried to get the driver out but the cage had collapsed down on him and they had to get a torch to cut the cage...by then life flite had arrived and they helicoptered him to a Salt Lake hospital.
    My understanding is he is paralyzed now...he was a Kiwi over here with his own car and the cage tubing was found to be a little too thin but he was allowed to run the car anyway because he'd come so far to race. [all this was second hand info on the salt] Kinda put a dampener on racing but like you said...you pays your money and you takes your chances.
    Last time I went I was hanging around with Paul Gilbert [Kiwitinbasher] as he was doing tech inspections and seeing if drivers coupe get out or their cars in a certain alloted time....he was very thorough and professional. I've run at a USFRA event and while the officials do everything humanly possible to prevent injury or worse, there's still always an element of danger to blasting down a course as fast as you can go. But damn! It is exciting!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. longhorizon

longhorizon

Sobering. Death is a part of life. For these gentlemen, death with dignity.