Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration More Cars in Kodachrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

More Cars in Kodachrome

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

blowby, AVater, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  2. Thanks, { please don't take my Kodachrome away } Here is a few from my old Photo Album. 20160113_143150.jpg 20160113_142635_003.jpg

3. belair

belair

Great stuff, Ron. You're right about the colors, JB. Reminds me of a great Peanuts cartoon where Lucy is told by her mother to share the crayons with Linus. She gives him three crayons-he looks at them and says "black, white, and gray. *sigh*." Those seem to be the predominate colors today. Black, white, and silver, metallic gray. Love the wagon and boat, and the city scene with the lumber off to the left. Where is that?

Jive-Bomber and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. I got this info from the properties of the photo: 1941 westwood village west los angeles california

belair likes this.
  5. arbs1976

arbs1976

Wow! Can't get enough of those!

6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My grandmother, who was VERY proud of her car....I jumped around in the back seat a lot:D 2016-03-28 15.23.44.jpg 2016-03-28 15.27.59.jpg My mom, me, and my aunt (holding me)....seems like so long ago now!

7. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My dad and I....cruising around Utah ....that was a great old truck, with a hydra-matic tranny and 326 Pontiac engine...it was faster than it looked...fun times! 008.jpg

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Those colors, Black, white, silver, metallic gray were dominate colors prior to 53/54. In short, it wasn't colorful until the mid 50s. Doubtful?? Look at the one photo that's from the 40s and you can see for yourself that the cars are not colorful but drab in color.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This picture was taken in 1957 at my parents house in Rivera, CA. Pico was a separate town then. The car is a 1951 Mercury convertible.
    mom.jpg

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My 37' Chevy Gasser being built in 63' taken with a little box camera IMG_0005.jpg

Paul B, IronFord, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My dad & I in southern Ore. 066.jpg My dad (unbuttoned shirt) and his hot rod in 58'....I'm rebuilding the same car now in my garage:) 020.jpg

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Does anyone know more about this photo?

Pinterest says this: "Corvette Cuties, February 1955: Corvettes Cutie, Spring Parade, Kodachrome Sliding, 35Mm"
    [​IMG]

The reason I'm asking is, my great aunt Irene had a brand new '54 Corvette in Texas with a removable hard top like the car in that photo. And those girls look a little bit Texan. ;)

[​IMG]

13. Google says it's the Palm Springs Parade, Feb 1955. Do they have palm trees in Texas?

Mick

Gotgas likes this.
  14. cfmvw

cfmvw

There is something warm and inviting about the Kodachrome colors that you just can't duplicate with digital photography. I can remember when you dropped off a roll of film at the drug store, and waited a week to get them developed and printed. And it was pretty exciting when we got to look at them!

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

They do not. Thanks Mick.

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

17. catdad49

catdad49

Great pictures, remember dropping off the rolls to be developed. Always a bummer when didn't come out. Looks like the bathtub Nash could use some "curb feelers"!

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I think they represent a simpler, slower paced less complicated time which enhances the appeal of the film. It's not just the image I enjoy but the place in time and my memories of the era.

wicarnut likes this.
  20. Fantastic! I love the photo of the '40 Ford at the Soapbox Derby in Ohio!

21. zombiecat

zombiecat

I could probably find a few more, but this one stands out. This was and old negative I found in a box of dad's photos. Backlit scanners are awesome.

img182.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and wicarnut like this.
  22. jim galli

jim galli

Pretty sure the building with the gold roof and big radio tower was Angelus Temple where Aimee Semple McPherson did the 4 square thing in the '30's and '40's. That would mean this is Glendale Blvd. in Echo Park about 1941 - ish.

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

......,............. These 2 Pic's were taken by my Mother in 1948 and 54/55 w/ a Brownie Box camera, black and white only, I think. I remember using this box camera until about 62/63/64, then I bought a little camera that used Kodak color film, probely a Kodak camera, I still remember looking down in lens, everything was upside down w/ the brownie box, yes in a way, I miss film, had/have several 35 mm camera's through the years and it was always a surprise on pictures to see what you really got. The positive of our digital camera's, you see Pic instantly and if it's bad, just retake and not much $$$ involved for prints as everyone has a printer today anyway and only print what you want or take memory card to Walmart, very cheap printing, blow ups, etc. Occasionally my wife and I look at our Pic's from our 36 years together and my/her family Pic's from little on, it brings back all of the good memories , nobody takes Pic's of the bumps in the road that we all have had, feel fortunate to have one hell of a lot of Pic's, it nice to have, we used to say "Pictures can't Lie" today, it's a different story, the negative of progress I guess, I enjoy the memory of simpler times.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    zombiecat likes this.
  24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( With the demise of Kodachrome,it is very doubtful that there will ever be anything to ever equal the picture quality that it produced.Just look at the stills and movies of WW2 action to see how well the beautiful colors hold up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

dad n 48.jpg My dad circa 1976

Raiman1959 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. jim galli

jim galli

[​IMG]
    grandma's '53 merc
    Grandad was Kelly Johnson's radar guy at the skunkworks and the merc was an upwardly mobile and stylish improvement over the immediate post war Studebaker.

I was born in '52 but can remember peering over the front seat of this car. We survived without all the restraints. The other thing I recall was the ease of starting. One tap and it was running. A willing car.

[​IMG]
    Then they bought this '57 new. By '63 they were into the Continentals.
    Mom and dad were going to Bible school so no fancy cars for us. They drove a '50 plymouth wagon. Mom complained that it was "a gutless wonder".

Raiman1959 and Ron Funkhouser like this.