Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Art Chrisman & The Hustler

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Art Chrisman & The Hustler

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HEMI32, Sancho, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  2. You aren't kidding......

LOTS of footage, unbelievable!

3. jnaki

jnaki

hello ryan and hamb,
    thank you for the outstanding comments. i was just an ordinary teenager with a passion for things that moved and moved fast. i am sure i improved my reading ability by going through all of those old car magazines and comics. if i could not buy them, then i went to the liquor store to look through all of the car mags, like we all do today at barnes and noble. i just happen to have my dad's movie camera handy. remember, i knew when he was going to take movies and develop them, so i shot the drag films as much as i could. on another thread, i posted a vintage film shot by my dad in long beach about a parade. that was in between our drag racing films. sneaky teenager is how i would describe myself back then.
    yes, when i first had the films digitized for computer use, i was amazed at how much there was as far as content. i remember those times, but, i was still amazed. these are for everyone to enjoy and feel how it was back in 58-60. i am sorry there wasn't a lot more after august 1960. that was the end of our full participation and involvement in drag racing. still into fast cars, but no more drag racing for us. so. enjoy these films and i am glad i could be part of some history of drag racing. there had to be a reason i grew up in long beach, near lions...it was just too big of a lure for me/us.
    thank you all.....
    junji nakamura jnaki

chevylady, flamingokid, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. Ryan,,That car was actually better known as "Chrisman & Cannon" rather than the Hustler,,
    This is from my drag racing days with Bobby Langley and the Scorpion

5. No, THANK YOU!

Thanks for sharing. Still amazed with the footage.....
    Can't begin to imagine being there.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Junji a big thank you to you for doing what you did back in the day and making it available for us to enjoy. Also would like to thank Ryan as well for putting what you did to the forefront so we are aware of it. Looking forward to seeing this stuff.
    Regards,
    Stogy

7. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Awesome footage my grandpa was friends with Art Chrisman .My grandpa worked at a soda shop in santa ana and all the guys would come there after the drags in santa ana including calvin rice .Thats what got my grandpa into drag racing .

8. Junji did a great service to the history of drag racing. It does amaze me though how such a sharp guy, who wrote for Street Rodder, doesn't know about the shift key! :D

HEMI32 and wbrw32 like this.
  9. Dean,There are many HABers that don't know where the shift key is,,nor the period and commas.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Look Ma, irony!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dean Lowe, HEMI32 and flyn schlosser like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a true case of being in the right time, and taking the initiative to make something happen. sometimes is later than sooner that we realize that what we did had substantive content. it takes special people like Junji & Ryan to help make sure that windows into History are not lost. most everyone today has a camera on their phone and take it all for granted. back in the day few had access to a movie camera, more likely had a Brownie single shot.

29AVEE8 likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello Dean,

Now that was a funny statement. When I submitted to Street Rodder back in Tex Smith’s days, my stories came back like it was written in a high school English class. The red overran the regular black typing. Yikes. But, currently, the shift key works fine, most of the time when I post something, I am in a darkened, quiet room and typing away. I want to get the story out, make little errors without having to slow down to use the cap key. So, now, I will go back to my Word Doc pages and type with the correctness of an English teacher handing back an “A” paper.

I hope the comments will look better for all to see. There will be other stories with movie clips as I go through my stuff. It is funny that 56 years ago, we looked at old guys and said…nah…not us….but here we are much older and definitely much wiser…

Thank you,

Junji Nakamura caps, commas, and all....

13. Now that was a good one Junji..........Liked you reply.

14. Junji, I don't care how you type. Just keep posting your wonderful old films!!;)

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello wb,
    We were teenagers and remember that the car had many names. It said Hustler on the nose and we called it the Hustler as it sounded cool. We were also pool hustlers in our neck of the woods. But, regardless, that race car was extremely fast as the driver would take it, set records, and it won a lot of races. There is a great story on Don Ewald’s WDIFL website about the paring of the two. Art Chrisman and Frank Cannon…
    Thanks,
    Jnaki
    Here is something you might like for your friends…

chevylady and flyn schlosser like this.
  16. Jnaki,,,,,Thank you so much for the video...seems like it was only yesterday....

17. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

My all time racing hero. Class guy. One in ten million. Going to miss him.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. 296ardun

296ardun

Jnaki has been sending me some of his videos, which I really appreciate. They are stored in my PC at home .. Can't wait to view them when I move back (house reworded) .. He has some great films of early gassers at Lions, and lots more!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app