Register now to get rid of these ads!

•••BUILD THREAD: SUGAR CITY SPL 1933 Ford Comp Coupe ROAD To ROG•••

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Mar 16, 2013.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You don't open your mouth without doing so. :D:D:D Question is are you going to drive the vicky with the Hemi in it up to the Beach?

Haha!!! I'm anxiously waiting for my wife to come home from work so I can get out there for a few hours. You're right it does need a rechop. Moonlight Metal might be handling the chop if everything lines up right.

You know I like living on the edge. It's good for TV....

2. Hurm

Attached Files:

3. daddio211

daddio211

I'm sorry, I can not allow this to happen. I'm putting my foot down. The Phaeton needs to come first. You can't tease us like that. As your HAMB brother I demand you cease and desist.

Now ignore me and carry on. :cool:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Smokey2

Smokey2

One of My Favorite "Fav's"...........I be watching!

( I looked for you at the Git=Together Party last Fall.......But
    Never saw Anyone with A Hood over His head.)
    Did your 3 winder come from Matthews, N.C. ?
    Good Luck. :)

5. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Yeh,we all know what you look like---you can take the hood off now ha ha

What class would this guy be in---he looks like a "gentleman"

Attached Files:

6. n847

n847

7. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good luck. I will be looking for tips. Im trying to get my 32 5w done in time for the hamb drags while juggling a 4yr old, a 2wk old, a wife, and a job. I like the plan for your coupe.

8. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

JJ I'm excited for ya, been long time coming with this body.
    Subscribed!!!

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good luck,you got a good start

10. I'm in, now get going! See you in a couple weeks!

11. I'm excited for you!

I shall be following with great enthusiasm! :D

12. Subscribed. Go get it

13. You go, boyeeeeeee!

I like the plans! Can't wait to see it.......but when? Every time I'm scheduled to come to Concord, you're headed elsewhere! I'm starting to get a complex! :(

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for all the support and interest. Just got in from putting a few hrs in on it outside. Pics are coming. Nothing exciting but progress none the less.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Oh my God that looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

16. Sooo from what I'm seeing on instagram it's done and just waiting for tires? :D

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

One thing I did want to say at the beginning of this thread is that I really want these old cars to be catalysts for bigger things in my life. Whether that's meeting some really great people from around the country or world, Racing on the Beach at the Race of Gentlemen or perhaps getting involved in something larger then myself like a charity. I don't need more then one Hot Rod if they are simply going to be JUST possessions. This '33 is being built for ROG and that's going to be a really great experience in my life with my family backing me up 100%. So now that I got that off my chest, let get to this evening's progress.

My wife worked from 8-4 this morning so I was on Daddy Duty as usual. As soon as my wife got home I handed over the responsibility, got in the car and headed to Starbuck for liquid motivation and two cans of brake cleaner. What I set out to do is drag the '35 Ford Rear out and start disassembling and cleaning it up. Just as I tore into it I remember why I stuck in the back of the shed in the first place. Blown axle seals and thick heavy grease covering the entire axle made for a real mess. The good news is that it's all there and in pretty nice shape. The wishbones are beautiful as well as the banjo housing....too bad no chrome on this one because these would be good candidates. I used a flat blade for the heavy grease and then wire wheeled the rest then sprayed it with a can of brake cleaner. I'll get more in depth with the cleaning when it's time to paint but for now it's pretty damn clean.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brakes need to be completely gone through. The blown axle seals really made a mess in there but greasy is better then rusty right? I scooped a bunch of the grease out and the rest will go in the parts washer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the wire wheeling, I was able to see the numbers on the bottom. 9 37 says it's a 4.11 Gear. I have a 3.78 on the shelf form a '39 but I'll probably wait and use those when I finally am able to get a quickchange later on.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple quick pics of the front suspension details. It's all assembled except for the hubs as mentioned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the Model A shackles I got. To use them with the 32-34 Perch Bolts I had to have bushings machined up by my friend Chris and installed them. The model A shackles are such a nice piece and even though it's such a small part I really get into these little details.
    [​IMG]

Slipped the clean rear end under the car to check the width and such. Threw it on a stand I made a few years ago which positions the banjo at the right height for a 7.50-16.
    [​IMG]

Once I had it centered, I couldn't resist checking what the 17" wheels would look like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a shot of the underside of the car. Even though I'd rather have an original style floor, I really stoked how beautiful this one is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for tonight. I plan on getting the TT cleaned up tomorrow and send the wishbones off for blasting soon. Then it's on to cleaning the backing plates and drums up before I have to rebuild them. But before that happens I need to get that body off and stored somewhere.

Thanks for looking!

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    from Texas

Nice to see I wasn't the only one making progress today. Looks great!

19. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I love aggresive build schedules...and this one should be awesome!
    Good luck with your deadline, and have fun!!!

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great start. You'll want that 4:11 on the beach.

21. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Ahhhh! So awesome! And sweet vid. I got to check this out. Good luck with the build! Subscribed.

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Only if you want to dig a hole...;) 3:1 spurs in the QC worked very well for me.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's what I was thinking. Well in true old race car fashion I'll take 1st gear out of the case and just use 2nd & 3rd. ;). Probably not a bad idea to start in 2nd though.

24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, you can tell I've never tried to go fast on the beach (dammit).:eek:

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really who has though?! If you were there last Oct, you would have seen that most people were winging it and winging it happens to my my mantra!

No progress today but I am debating thing like 33-34 pedals or 39 pedals in my head. I really liked curbspeed's thread on putting 39 pedals in. That seems like my best bet so far.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

34 pedals are less work I think... even with making a bellcrank and MC mount. And you don't have to whack the hell out of your x member for the clutch pedal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. [​IMG]

Hmmm, "Close Encounters of the 33rd Kind"???

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ya know what I'm surprised by? No one asked what the HELL is sitting on top of the '33's roof. Don't worry, it's not a pile of Cocain.....it' a Polar Express inspired train diorama I made for my son this Chirstmas. Damn thing is to big to fit in attic so now I don't have a place for it until December 24th.

ANDY I happened to seek out your '34 thread looking for those pics. It's definitely an option I'm considering. Only reason I like the Curbspeed's approach is that it can be made to look factory someone......but then again a car with this much being taken out of the roof doesn't really follow that idea. :D:D:D

Hmmm....

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Everything used to set those pedals up other than some 1/8" plate for the MC mount is repurposed old ford parts.

30. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Lookin good homie I dig it