Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tri power dilemma,opinions from the masses needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rust, Apr 18, 2014.

1. hot rust

hot rust

i have a dilemma in which i'm uncertain of the answer. i'm building a 327 chevy, 11 to 1 comp, 462 casting heads and a real lumpy cam for my 29 roadster build and i'm trying to do my best to keep it period looking for around 1958-9. yes i know no 327 in those years but besides that i have two tri power set ups one that uses the stromberg type 3 bolt carbs, i have 3 97's on this intake and i have a rochester 2 bbl type with tri power carbs from a j-2 set up. i am familiar with the rochester carbs but the 97's not so much. in your opinion which set up would be the easiest to use and keep tuned? of course i think the 97's look neater than the rochesters but the only dealings i've ever had with them was on a friends 390 engine and they were alot of trouble. but maybe neither he nor i had enough experience with them to set them up properly. but on the other hand i would think that the rochester set up would produce more power than the 97's. any truth to this? i'm also thinking as far as the look for that era either would fit the bill. it will run 57 fuelie 9 rib corvette valve covers with breathers and also the original breather tube for engine thanks in advance for all your answers. hot rust

2. Well, I've been a Rochester fan since I put them on my 348 powered 57 Chevy in 1966, so I'm gonna say go with the Rochesters. As long as you get the end carbs sealed up and they don't have idle circuits in them they are very easy to tune. You are really only tuning with the primary ( center ) carb and using the ends to come in when you choose, based on how the progressive linkege is set. I've never had any issues as long as the end carbs are tight at the throttle plates. NOTHING looks better, especially in a 29 Roadster.....

Attached Files:

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

IMO the Rochesters are a much better carb than the old Strombergs. More airflow, better design, less problems like leaks, etc. Easier to find kits for too.

Don

4. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I don't know about the Stombergs but I have Rochesters and they work fine. I used the J2 bases on old side inlet carbs cause I didn't have clearance for the front inlet J2 carb tops. If your 9 fin covers are not cut for breathers I would look for another set or way to rig your crankcase ventilation cause those 9 fin covers are very pricey.

5. fms427

fms427

Rochesters ! They flow a lot more air, and are a much later and more sophisticated design. Oh - and they are a couple of inches lower if you have hood clearance issues.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The tri power on my '57 has been problem free for 27 years.
    Rochester carbs from a J-2 set up are the same that are on my Pontiac.
    KK

7. There is no denying the the old Stombergs have a cool factor that can't be beat but when it comes to performance I believe the Rochester's would be better choice with your engine. HRP

8. Touch off your topic but don't drill the 9 rib valve covers for breathers, if you have the breather in the intake manifold you don't need to and it'll look better.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Go with the Rochester's they are period correct for your era and are a better match for the setup you are running, you will never regret it.

10. Rochesters for go, Strombergs for show IMO.

11. hot rust

hot rust

hey guys thanks for your opinions i value them very much. you know i actually thought there would be a lot of support for the strombergs but i guess they would be better on a flathead. i actually am leaning toward the rochesters for all said reasons. but mostly for the performance side of it. i purchased the 9 ribs about 10 years ago and they were already drilled and breathers installed, yes this is a bad scenario as they are very pricey. i've even pondered repairing them and selling them but in the end i think they will be a very nice edition to the engine. when i get it together and detailed i will post pics of it for all to see thanks hot rust

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014