Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 buick problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by einnor, Apr 17, 2014.

1. einnor

einnor

Hey men. Haven't been here in awhile, but, need some help. I bought a 1956 buick project. I'm having trouble with the motor not wanting to turn over. It turns about half the speed it should. I've cleaned all connections, tried two different batteries, had the starter rebuilt, but, still the same. I'm about ready to drag it up the highway about 30 mph and see if it will start. I don't want to spend much on the engine until I see if it will run and sounds like its worthwhile. I noticed the battery tray on this thing is very long. Did it come out with some sort of a special larger battery, or what. thanks for any help. ronnie

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I dont know, Have you tried jump starting it off another vehicle as well?
    A little shot of either might help her go ahead and fire too.
    After the first fire maybe it will start to turn more freely. gettin fire? good points? gettin gas? wired and timing set correctly? I believe later 60s,70s/80ish buicks are wired counter clock wise not sure about yours
    (whichever way the dist turns is the direction you go when running the plug wires)

I have heard some of the old automatics would engage like a straight shift while pulling them in gear but have never done it,make sure youve got the key on if you try it:D

3. good grounds? good battery cables? you are using a 12 volt battery , right?

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think some of the old buicks had foot starters come to think of it,by pushing the gas pedal maybe?, not sure tho, maybe someone else will chime in who knows more about it.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

done a quick search and found that originally I guess if it hasnt already been changed the starter switch mechanism is actually on the carb and starts cranking when the butterflys open or something, you may already know all this but if you dont you can do a search and see for yourself...............dont know if anything like that would have anything to do with your problem but there ya go anyway.

6. einnor

einnor

This one has already had the accelerator starter bypassed. I squirted some oil in the cylenders, and that seemed to help. It's turning over somewhat faster now. Thanks guys.