Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Upholstery Book ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TREE, Jan 1, 2006.

1. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

What book would be considered "the Bible", for do it yourself, traditional hot rod interiors. I have a friend who has the equipment and the sewing knowledge to give me a hand, so I want to do the interior of my new project myself.

Thanks alot for any info, Phil

2. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I have a book called Custom Auto Interiors by Don Taylor and Ron Mangus, and it is by far the best upholstery book I have ever read. I DEFINATELY reccomend picking it up.

And, if you have some extra cash, my 2nd choice would be the Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Don Taylor.

Hope This Helps! :)

-Brent- likes this.
  3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm interested in this too. In a similar note, what are some of the best places to get fabric from for automotive upholstery?

4. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

ME!

Hahaha, I have about 40 yards of tan Naugahyde vinyl that I am selling for $3.99/yard if you want it. Send me a PM.

5. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

www.yourautotrim.com seems like a big online source for materials. I agree that Custom Auto Interiors is a fantastic book for custom interiors. I think that their examples are pretty modern but the techniques can be used on any project. Also I agree, see if you can pickup The Auto Upholstery handbook it covers alot of "AUTO" upholstery basics that are invaluable. Sid Chavers offers two videos on his webite about making and covering door panel and also one on making patterns and foaming and covering seats. They are both really well put together. Ron Mangus offers a video on carpets on his website.

6. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

Thanks for the replies fellas, anyone else have a favorite ?

7. 28pontiac

28pontiac

I agree.... I just bought this book (Custom Auto Interiors) Friday and have been reading it over the past few days and have learned a ton... good pictures, decent explanations, etc.

It cost $25, which seems a little high to me (I am a cheap ass) but Santa gave me some green....... And it is cheaper than to pay someone to do upholstery for me, even if I screw it up a few times before I get it right.

In the back is an index for supplies.

Andy

8. Curt Six

Curt Six

I'm looking into upholstery how-to books and found this thread. Since it's fourteen years old, I'm just wondering if the two Don Taylor books are still considered the best resources. Thanks for any input.
    Curt

Just Gary likes this.
  9. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

I've been doing auto upholstery for many years and in my opinion, the best "how to" resources, today, are on-line. The two web sites I like are: Theluckyneedle.com & Cechaflo.com. Both offer free video tutorials as well as fee based on-line classes. Cechaflo is a master upholsterer with amazing skills.

I applaud your desire to "do-it yourself". The best advise I can give is to acquire an appropriate industrial sewing machine, a used one is just fine. You will avoid a lot of heartburn and frustration, ask me how I know....

Best of luck!

ClarkH and K13 like this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ive got a book by John Martin Lee ,by Motor books international. pretty detailed .Would like to give it to a member here , first to respond and its yours . you pay ship. Ron

woody45 likes this.
  11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I could sure use it.

12. This x 1000. I have both of Taylor as Mangus' books and I learned way more watching Cechaflo than I ever did reading the books. Plus if you have questions you can ask and get answers. It's all the small stuff you can't pick up through books that when you can actually see it being done makes the biggest difference.

woody45 and ClarkH like this.
  13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Buying books, and tools is always going to be cheaper than paying others to do the work. And when you're done you'll still have the books and tools! Good books will end up saving you far more than the $25 or whatever you spent on books, just in savings of ruined materials.
    I've got a huge library of reference books in my family room and I've never regretted investing in good books.

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Going to Royalshifter.

stanlow69 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

John Martian Lee`s son is the editor of Goodguys now. Damon.