Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester 2g leaky bowl plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, Dec 9, 2013.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Hello All,

I know I'm the not the only one with this issue but I haven't found any fixes. I have a box of Rochester 2Gs and half of them have leaky bowl plugs. The ball bearings in the holes look like they are covered with a thin layer of lead but I could be wrong.

Has anyone ever re-soldered or re-braised them? I have read about using JB weld but I would be more inclined to use a metal especially with new gasohol.

Thanks in advance

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I epoxied mine and never leaked again. Don't remember what brand, but I usually keep JB Weld, PC-7, and plumber's epoxy around the shop. They sell it in tubes to fix gas tanks, so it definately works.

3. This book -http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/buy_book_2.html
    Goes over and shows you how to fix and or prevent leaky bowl plugs.
    Yes it quadrajet but the plugs are the same

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks Guys will check these out

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387420743.221687.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387420772.426066.jpg
    Adding some before shots

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Looks like there is some corrosion around the plug in the one pic. I would knock the plugs out, clean up the hole, then make a tapered plug out of solder and drive it in...

7. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

The commercial rebuilders used to use lead shot.
    You might see if you have a friend who reloads shotgun shells to see if he has something close, as shot comes in a variety of sizes.

8. I've been running Rochesters on my cars for almost 50 years, they all seep a little around the plugs. I pop em out and brush a little gas tank sealer around the plug and press them back in. Seems to work about the best for me. My dad always said " that's how you know they're Rochesters ".

9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks guys, will give these a try and get back with results.

10. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Bumping an oldie that has since been solved. Thanks all for the input and advice. In the process of this repair I learned that the plugs are lead not ball bearings as I previously assumed.

Rochester 2g leaky fuel bowl repair:

It is easiest to do this repair after you have completely stripped down and cleaned your carburetor. Locate the offending lead plug (s) and drill it out slowly. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405482171.960968.jpg
    Be sure not to bore to deep as to drill into the carburetor. Lead is soft so the bit should bore through easily. Start by using a 1/16 bit in the center of the plug. Step up to 5/64 ensuring you are still boring through the center. Step up again to 3/32 by now your lead should start twisting out. If it has not started twisting using a pick or small screw driver try to gently remove or fold in the lead. You can step up again to 7/64 being very careful you are not drilling out the carb bowl and only boring through the lead. If there is still led left you should either try to work what little is left free with a pick or use a 1/8 bit and turn it by hand NOT CHUCKED IN THE DRILL. When you are done your holes should be clear and should see a little step (outside is wider inside is a bit narrower)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405482226.019149.jpg
    Using a 6/32" tap carefully hand tap the hole. Install a 6/32" x 3/16 set screw using thread locker and your leaky bowls are fixed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405482249.056151.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014