Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Channeling a 29 model a coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wildbill29tudor, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Does any one have pics of how they channelled their a coupe? Or a link to a thread of how to do it?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I'm curious about how to do the sub rails

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Are your subrails good and solid or are they rusty swiss cheese? If nice, simply remove the cross braces by drilling out the rivets, then trim the front just enough so the body can drop over the frame. You want to keep as much subrail as possible to give the body strength. Make some brackets to bolt the frame to the subrails. Then bend up some filler strips to fill the gaps.

If your subrails are junk, you'll have to make up some new subrails. You might look at making a framework for the floor out of small square tubing and then cover it with sheetmetal.

david buczynski likes this.
  4. olskool34

olskool34

Good info there, always keep whatever subrails you have if they are in nice shape.They are there for a reason. Model A frames are narrow to do this but any other wider frames and you may result in having to remove all the lower body subrail. Keep it simple.

david buczynski likes this.

5. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Any pics?

6. nickk

nickk

I'd also like to see some pictures using subrails, I'm about to channel mine over a A frame and it has perfect subrails. I've seen it done a lot without the subrails but never with

7. ty johnson

ty johnson

What i did on mine was trim the floor rails so the body would slip over the frame as said. Then used some 1" square tubing and welded it the length of the subrails and made cross rails from that. Came out to be about almost a 4" channel. The make your body mount to match up to your A frame holes or where you need the.
    [​IMG]

8. ty johnson

ty johnson

Leaving the subrails in make the body stay a lot sturdier as said.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Starting at post #10 here is probably the cleanest visual I've come across for channeling an A. Pretty well as deep as you'd care to go depending on the size of the vertical filler you make.

11. ssimpala

ssimpala

Great link Kevin. Thank's a lot!

12. I did all mine in 14 gauge sheet metal. I just think tubing is an over kill. My body came with no stock rails but what's left is factory stuff. It had already been channeled but a real Crap job. Doors didn't fit, deck wouldn't close, body out of square. It's now 6" and works well for me. Different strokes for each of us.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

13. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

Look through my build thread

14. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

I can't see the link Kevin Lee posted, can any one help me out?

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The link is the red highlighted word "HERE" in the first sentence. Worked for me.

16. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

The link above to the "Late Tech, for the ladies...." thread is a good one. It answered most of the questions I had before I dove in on my '30.

If you look at the subrails (with the body mounted), you can see a pretty obvious place to cut them. Lifted the body and welded on 5" of vertical sheetmetal (20 ga.IIRC).

Put the body back on and welded it to the new vertical pieces - cut/ground off the excess and you're done. Figuring out exactly what you're going to do is actually harder than doing it.

I didn't take enough pictures when I did mine but if I can find any I think are helpful I'll post them. I know I really sweated this before I did it so I understand your concerns.

17. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

The link highlighted "here" does not work in my app. There are several things like that I have problems with in the app.

18. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388443959.330236.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388443976.372846.jpg
    I used 1/2"x1" tube for sub rails and 18ga cold rolled for the floors. You can look through by build thread to see more pictures of how I made it all.