Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So...I am lookin' at a Model A...finally!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BAILEIGH INC, Dec 1, 2013.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

OK, I have had the bug for a while. Been looking and dreaming for a couple of years, and my side business has become quite successful so I feel I am in a position to start making some moves towards being an owner myself. My son Justis is 10 now and it just feels like it's time......

I have had my heart set on a 31 coupe. Starting out all original and driving it that way for a while. Cars pop up every now and then on the other side of the US that need TLC, or have some rust, or need this and that.

.....then this little gem landed in my lap 2 miles from my house. Rebuilt motor and new clutch last year, no rust and drives very nice. Electronic ignition and an alternator.

I know it's not a 31 coupe but it's an all original Model A and it would get me on the road as soon as the snow melts.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Your car is beautiful.
    I like coupes too but tudors were produced in greater numbers than any other body style
    *because they were the most desired*
    Roadster lovers may want to dispute this but Henry gave the public what they wanted and the public bought two door sedans the most.

To get the most fun for your dollar, add a high compression head. 7:1 is recommended for a babbitt motor. Electronic ignition keeps you driving while everyone else stops because of points and condensor problems (true story)

The purists point out that mechanical brakes can lock up all 4 wheels but there is a high effort required to keep the brakes at this level, while hydraulic brakes are pretty much no maintenance in comparison. Dont use 39-48 Lockheed since Bendix brakes are available and are self energizing and the self adjusting parts pop on.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

The only problem I see is that you had your heart set on a 31 coupe. If you can have two is say buy it, but if you can have only one the follow your heart.

4. Master of None

Master of None

That looks super clean. The only down side is....your after a coupe....not a sedan. It will get you going quicker, but its not a coupe.... But then again you could turn it into a really nice cruiser, and then sell it when you find the car you want.

BTW that does look like a great car. Juice brakes, maybe a drop axle?? fun to run!

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

NICE! Bet you have fun with this one.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

In addition to the high compression head, I installed a fully synchronised 3 speed with overdrive. These two things make it a pleasure to drive

7. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Cool! Chop party?

8. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Give me a year.....:D

9. Really a sweet little ride. Congratulations!

10. indyjps

indyjps

I know you want a coupe, but the ability to take the whole family in the car can keep them involved, something to think about. Its a great looking car either way

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just echo what others said. Very nice 2dr stocker. But would you rather have a hot rod coupe? Or maybe even a hot rod sedan if you need the room for family members. Life is short...go for what you really want.

Maybe do what Sundown Kid did...bought a well-built, unfinished hot rod, and he's now finishing it with his own touches.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849069

12. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

I agree with indyjps, a sedan allows for more people to enjoy!!........ (or extra gear for long trips!)

13. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Nice car. If your plan is Hop up the banger, lower it, different rolling stock, then hell yeah, there's your car. If your going V-8, chopped, more modern etc. then leave that one alone. You will end up with redoing everything anyway, you might as well say a coupe. My 2 cents.

14. olskool34

olskool34

Well I kind of agree with gecko54 here, unless you really want a hopped up banger tudor, leave that one alone. If you want a cool badass hopped up banger tudor than go for it! Loose the fenders, slight chop and done. That is cool but if you want a coupe than go for a coupe.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I think it's gonna look sweet parked next to the coupe.
    Gorgeous!

16. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

sell it on ford barn for big cheddar and get that coupe you wanted. Then a survivor remains a survivor and you can build your traditional. My 2 cents

17. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ask your boy which he'd rather drive... there's your answer.

Seriously, I think that if you love it, buy it. Otherwise find a nice coupe.

18. I'd lower that thing a little, put some 16's and juice brakes on it, hop it up a little and haul the whole family. Tudors are badass

19. I love tudors, I would sell my 35 for the right 32 Ford Tudor Sedan ...

20. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

Nice sedan! Pull off the fenders, hood, and drive it until you find yourself a coupe... Then drive em both.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

You're right, it's not a coupe. But tudors are just as cool, hop it up and drive the wheels off it. :cool:

Scotty

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

That is way to nice to pass on cars that pretty do not come along very often
    I would buy it drive it and only sell if you can find better

23. Bader 2

Bader 2

A coupe is kind of a selfish car, not everyone gets to go.sedans,now there's a fun car,fordors now there's even more fun!

24. shane85

shane85

25. Awesome tudor, Shane! I had a chance to trade my tudor body for a coupe body, but I kept the sedan. I now have a granddaughter, and I look forward to taking my wife and the grandkid(s) with me on outings.

Keep the fenders and hood, makes it a much friendlier car to drive!

Again, nice score!

26. tudors are cool (seats suck in stock form for guys like us)
    i bought a coupe a few months back and am regretting it because i cant get all the family in it to go for drives....and i already have a coupe so i doubled up
    if i had to do it again i would have kept the vicky..... but hit me up if you really want a coupe
    tk

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

28. I agree with Chris 100%,I love sedans and I'm sure you will make all the modifications to make it a great little hot rod. HRP

29. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy it. You can load up the Family and go for a ice cream run . Drop in a T5 , juice brakes , modern 4 banger .

30. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Tudor is the way to go! looks great. drive it, enjoy it, modify it.
    Andy