Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Stepping the Rear "Tardell" Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Nov 2, 2005.

1. I searched high and low for the "perfect stance." What I found was Vern Tardells and Mike Bishops (AV8) Roadster they did in thier "How to build a Traditional Ford" book. There is alot of great info and I highly recommend it to be on your bookshelf if you ever build an A-V8. :)

Okay, here we go:

The step I did was basically giving me the amount of drop equal to the height of the rear of the frame rails; about 4".

Before I started, I wanted to ensure my frame layed flat and straight so I made a "generic" frame jig to set it on. I was told, this was important to ensure the frame doesnt shift while you are doing your work and it helps keeping the rails nice and straight. I used C-claps to keep the frame down on the jig.

Step 1: I measured from this point (see picture) about 5" forward of the rear crossmember to mark my lines for the cuts. Keep in mind...try to use the same spot on either side for "accurate" measurements.

Step 2: I made my cuts on both sides of the rails...as vertical as I could and "chamfered" the edges so I can get nice penetration when I start welding.

Step 3: I made up a "jig" to hold the rear part of the frame up straight and level. It helped me alot so I can concentrate on what I should be doing, rather than trying to hold, measure and tack it in place...hoping for a straight connection back on the frame.

Step 4: I lined up the rear of the frame and checked for it to be square. Notice I put the bottom of the rear frame section and lined it up straight w/ the upper part of the frame rail

Step 5: Tack it or weld in place.

Step 6: Next, I made a fillet to join the frame pieces together and used a piece of straight stock to line it up. Then I welded it in place. (see PIctures)

Attached Files:

2. Step 7: After your fillet is in place...weld in a filler to join the sides of the frame together.

Step 8: Do the same for the other side.

Step 9: You will see that the upper and lower sections are joined w/ the sides done. Now we will work on the inside to box it in for added strength. Repeat the previous steps to box in the inside....

Vern and Mike indicated that you should weld on the inside of the frame as well to ensure a good assembly.

I also put a filler piece in for the spring area opening. W/ the step, you will have to raise the body mount bracket up to support the rear of your coupe, roadster or sedan.

I hope I put this in perspective for everyone and made it easy. It was fun for me to do and I am happy w/ the work.

Attached Files:

3. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Damn good job,you gonna box it to???

4. its all boxed and waiting for the center crossmember. :)

Attached Files:

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

mine was stepped by vern when i got it.so now it would be dumb to change it because it sits like a SOB...nice job, can't wait to see the mock-up!!

6. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Not bad. Now I just need to get the fuck up there to look at it. :D

7. This weekend right? get the lead out

8. Rusty

Rusty

Good work. Keep up the progress. Brakes should be there any day

9. flatoz

flatoz

I like it, I like it a lot

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Nice looking job and that is a excellent book.

11. Thanks guys...I know its simple...but hopefully helpful to others.

12. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Boy, does that look familiar! I JUST got mine all tacked in place a couple of days ago and also used the Bishop/Tardel AV8 "Bible" as a guide! Great minds think alike eh?! Great tech thread! Regards, Dave.

13. I did mine that way. After I got it all together, It sat too high. So I ripped it all down and did a second tier. Much better

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Nice work man... but who's that ugly fella grinnin at the camera? :eek::p

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice TECH thanks for sharing !!!

16. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Thats some beautiful work. For those of us less talented, heres another method. I thought it was from the bishop/tardell book, but I probably skipped all the steps and stuff and came up on this.

17. Dan

Dan

Very cool, I need to do the same on mine, good to see another example of it being done. I liked how you used square tubing rather than flat stock to make your top fillet, puts a nice radius on the corners.
    A couple of observations, I am not trying to be a dick here: are you gonna run a buggy spring? If so, will boxing in the end of the crossmember provide enough clearance for the spring? The gusset between the frame and the crossmember, I thought I had heard once that there was supposed to be alittle "give" built into this area and that is why they are riveted from the factory?? I may be totally wrong on both counts, just some things I thought of when I looked at the pics.
    Wont boxing the frame as depicted in the drawing shorten it as well??
    Again, not trying to criticise your guys work, just a couple of things I noticed, thanks again for sharing.
    Hopefully you'll do a tech piece on raising the body mounts now, I would really like to see how that is done!

18. Sure, Ill do a tech on "my experience" for the body mounts.

As for boxing the rear, there shouldn't be any clearance issues...but we should see. The spring is arched pretty goodand I dont anticipate anything to be in the way.

I guess this will be continued. :)

Again, Im glad it was helpful to others and thanks for the compliments.

19. This is an oldie, but im bumping it for post-Tech week viewing.

20. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

thats funny, i just cleaned that frame up today and put it in primer, its going under the sedan soon.