Register now to get rid of these ads!

Baileigh Industrial: spreading the gospel of metal shaping through free training

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Feb 1, 2013.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

If you are interested, click the email at the bottom of the page and send me your info.

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I call myself an artist. It is an aspiration. In an effort to shatter my comfort zone I have taken on the craft of metal forming. It is a craft and one that takes years to be good at.... Rather than go into it slowly I took my usual approach and bought the equipment first and headed for the skill after. I know what metal forming is, and I know how to bend metal with heat and/or muscle for a desired effect. But my skill is rudimentary. I decided my art needed something different so I followed the trail to the custom car restoration and build from scratch automobile sector. Was I about to get my eyes opened!
    The gang at Baileigh Industrial design and build fabulous tools for metal forming, cutting and welding. Their tools range in size from tools for the enthusiasts garage to systems for a production factory. Top quality stuff. I’d ordered and received five different tools for a current project (line). Four out of the five tools delivered were well known to me but the fifth was totally foreign. I literally knew nothing about it other than it was the product of taking something that had an effect on the Industrial Revolution and refining it to an art form. The tool is a power hammer but the Bailiegh MH-19 product goes miles beyond that simple label.
    Back to the day. When you buy a power hammer from Baileigh or even if you are thinking of buying one they insist you get some understanding of the tool. Wise idea. Without the training one would be able to figure out about 10% of the tools capability, with the training – in my case – I got a license to learn. This diverse group of guys last Saturday ranged from beginners and hobbyists to true seasoned craftsmen. I was the only one calling myself an artist (out of 20 plus) but I would have to say some of the skills I witnessed could only be called art. Taking a flat piece of mild steel and turning it into a beautiful curved (in this case a fender for a 32 Ford) object – in 45 minutes – was a sight to behold. And to capture on video for later review.
    As a group we were able to work with professionals who watched, critiqued and demonstrated the “art” of metal forming. It is just the beginning for me but a leap forward from where I would have been trying to get it on my own. Baileigh Industrial had all the tools set up and the guys that knew how to use them. These guys can build you a car from a pile of metal. Metal shapers, metal cutters and bead/design benders. It was all there to do with what we wanted and someone standing by to instruct in proper use. Wow. They set me on a path, not to build cars, but to apply the techniques to my art for a new and better product. This is going to be fun. The day certainly was. Jump start on learning, who could ask for more.

-Bobby Bacon - Tatu Metal ArtSee More

[​IMG]

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

The Other day we received this nice letter, I thought that I would share it with you.

My name is Mike Phillips. I own Phillips Automotive & Performance, LLC, a small custom car and hot rod shop in Downingtown, PA, located about 45 minutes ...west of Philadelphia. I have been building and fabricating cars and bikes of all kinds for most of my life. Most of the welding and fabrication work we do is tube chassis fabrication, roll cages, headers, exhaust, steering, suspension, and minor sheet metal work.
    Ten years ago, several TV shows came out about building custom bikes and cars. I immediately fell in love with the idea of taking a raw sheet of steel or aluminum and pounding it into these beautiful, complex curves. Up until that point, the only thing I knew was cutting, shearing, and bending. Forming was something I never thought about. I never knew it was possible by the hands of a craftsman. I always thought you needed some huge machine to stamp it out.
    Once the internet took off and the TV series kicked in, it opened up a new world of ideas, and for years, I dreamed of the possibly of learning how to use a Yoder or Pullmax machine. I spent hours upon hours watching online tutorials and reading any information I could find on the art of sheet metal forming. Up until just this year (2013), it remained just that…a dream. Now, several years into owning my own business, I finally came into the financial situation where I could expand my car-building skills by adding sheet metal forming to what my shop can offer.
    I started scouring the internet looking for used equipment. Found either nothing at all or it was super expensive. Then I came across a few guys who fabricated their own power hammer machines. I thought “well, I can build that, but what’s it going to cost me to make a nice one?” Throughout all my research, I stumbled across the Baileigh Industrial website. As soon as I saw it, I knew I needed it--The Baileigh Multi-Hammer. It does it all: Yoder, Pullmax, beadroll, planish, English wheel, and even mechanical shrinker/stretcher, like an Eckold machine. I could not believe the price. It almost made me skeptical of how well it worked. If you want to buy all those different machines used, you would spend 100K.
    As we all know, when you see something that says “multi” on it, it usually does multiple things half as good as the real thing. That’s when I started to research Baileigh and dig up any input I could find. I was surprised to find lots of great feedback. As we know, people on the internet do not hesitate to talk trash on anything they can. I have yet to find negative reviews about Baileigh equipment or service. Because of this, I decided to take it to the next level and called Baileigh in Wisconsin.
    I talked to James in the sales department. We chatted for a while about metal. He mentioned to me that Baileigh was holding a sheet metal workshop out in Wisconsin early 2013. I told him to do whatever it takes to get me on that list. Sure enough, he did. Within a few weeks, I found myself sitting in the airport waiting to fly across the country to finally get some hands-on, professional training in sheet metal forming. I showed up that morning to find 24 other exited guys looking just as thrilled to be there. Turns out the two guys teaching the lessons were Chris Rusch and Mark Gerisch.
    I know Chris from TV. I have seen him on biker build-off helping out Jesse James, who I consider my mentor in the quality of his fabrication work and his deep appreciation of working with metal. Chris is not only a great fabricator/designer, but he is the one who engineered and builds the Multi-Hammer. I was impressed from the start. Mark Gerisch is also well known in the custom car-building industry. He has hand formed some of the most beautiful car bodies out there, including Jay Leno’s Cobra. At this point, I just couldn’t wait to learn as much as possible! Within an hour, we were all out in the shop watching Chris do a demonstration on the hammer. He made this very impressive bowl in a matter of minutes. At first glance of the Multi-Hammer, I was impressed with its design, engineering, and overall structure. This thing is built tough. Once I saw it move metal as fast as it did, all the doubts I had were long gone. Now it’s time to pound some metal!
    We broke up into groups. We all took turns trying to duplicate the bowl that Chris made. Mark worked very close with me and took the time to really teach me the fundamentals of what the machine was doing to the metal. Within minutes, I was shrinking metal like I had been doing it for years. I also had the pleasure to spend a little one-on-one time with Chris. He taught me a few great tips on how to work the metal to get it to do what I wanted it to, and how to use all the functions of the machine to produce a finished product. I cannot thank Chris and Mark enough for what they generously taught me in that one day. There are few and far between who have the talent those two guys have. It’s even harder to find guys who will take the time to teach you their skill.
    I also can’t express enough how great all the guys from Baileigh are. I got the chance to meet Shane and James and most of their staff. They are all great guys who really know their product well. They are not just some sales guy trying to push some crap on you. They all work with metal. They use the machines. They can answer tech questions for you. They can help you get the best bang for your buck. Overall, I am very happy I took the leap to fly across the country. The workshop Baileigh put on was great. I can’t wait for part 2. I went home a happy man with new skills under my belt.
    As I sit here and write this, I am awaiting the delivery of my new Multi-Hammer. I look forward to the future in having expanded my shop through the new fabrication services that I can now offer my customers. The products I produce will benefit greatly and my business will grow. Most importantly, my skills will always continue to evolve. I cannot wait to plug her in and start pounding some more metal. Mark said to me “Practice makes perfect. It’s like riding a bike. Once you figure it out, there is no stopping you.”
    Thanks to Shane Henderson, James Franz, Chris Rusch, Mark Gerisch, and the rest of the Baileigh crew. Everyone was really nice and wanted to help us learn.
    Mike Phillips
    Phillips Automotive & Performance, LLC
    Downingtown, PA

[​IMG]

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

If you are interested in the next class let me know. They are free.

6. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Here is the demo Chris did in the last class

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Next class is in May. Its free......Anyone interested?

8. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Bump it up, Man I wish I was closer I would love to take advantage of this!!!

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

We might be doing one in Los Angeles this summer

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Classes in May and July.

11. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

I am!!!! Where do I sign up?

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

CALL ME 920-482-3220

Class is filling up right now!

13. Motomike43

Motomike43

When is part 2? I can't wait. Anytime experienced metal shapers are willing to share a little knowledge everyone should jump on it. Especially when it's free. Good hands-on training is hard to find. Metal shaping is becoming a lost art.

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

July,

Call me 920-482-3220

15. Motomike43

Motomike43

Will do. Ill call you soon about it. Also... Thanks for posting my letter in the Thread. I had a Blast

16. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

You are one of the success stories of the class.