Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Shop Mistress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kickstarter, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Some may already know Mallory as the Goddess, but that may have been to strong of a word, so she will remain the Mistress for now. She is still long, black, and wearing a short skirt with a long jacket. Ready for a life of glamor at the shop and running free. No more hard days of slaving away at the job. She worked as a plumber for 40 years, rain or shine, ready to go at a minutes notice. Living life with a six, it may now be time for the mid life enhancement of a larger engine. She came with some baggage, like they all do, a 283 with power pack heads. Will that find it's way into Mallory? Or will something a little more exotic fit the bill. She shows her age, but hides it well, a nip here, a tuck there and she'll be ready for the in crowd once again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

A little junk in the trunk. I'm hoping the 283 will fit the trans.

Attached Files:

3. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

She still has the stock 4spd, but the engine was swapped out for a 250 six. Anyone know if the sbc will bolt right up, or am I going to have to change things around to fit it in there.

4. belair

belair

It will fit.

5. If it is a truck 4 speed you will likely only need a bellhousing. She is 51 this year? [born in '62] Likely the 6 cylinder bell won't match up. Not to dispair those old truck bellhousings are plentiful.

The ol' mare looks like she was rode hard and put up wet, if her spirit aint broke she'll make you a good ride. She already knows how to take a beating. ;)

Ok you're posting answers faster than I can ask questions. The 250 shares a bell with the V-8.

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

At some point in life the 235 was swapped out for the 250. If the planets line up right, the 250 will fire and get her running down the road again. Then it will be time to decide if the 283 goes in or something else.

Is there a frame difference in the step side vrs the fleet side? I was looking at hitches and some say they only fit the fleet side?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

It looks like the 283 may have stayed away from fatty foods and lived a clean life! It's no Vegan, just looks like she stayed away from processed food.

And remember, she's no Tramp!

Attached Files:

8. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck on the old girl. At least she's got a full sized rear which most young gals no longer have. She can still handle a big load.
    My 55 Chevy wagon was a plumber's helper for over 35 years. Those plumbers are hard on their mistresses but a little work and they can all be dependable again.
    Like many here in Florida, a little enhancement will attract a crowd and make for a fun ride. ;)

9. Chassis should be the same from step side to slab side. it make have to do with the actual width and how it relates to the body itself.

There is a kind of a deal on those old trucks that a lot of people donot recognize when they put a step bumper on them the outer sides of the bumper were bolted to the body. Let me see if I have a decnt pic of what I am talking about.

Anyway the hitch may mount up in the same fashion.

Found one here is a slab side with a step bumper. Really comon for the '60s.

Does what I am saying make any sense? They may want to tie the hitch in the same way.

Attached Files:

10. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Makes sense, hopefully the hitch will mount to the frame rails like most receiver hitches.

Good news is she fired up with a donor battery out of the 55!:D Time to pull the tank and clean it out and a quick tune up and see what happens.

11. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I've always liked a long bed better then a small bed.;)

She's ready to go up a size or two, a six was fine back then, but there is to much competition from the young ones now.

12. She's a MILF (Mistress I'd Like to Fix). Enjoy the project.

13. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

They only let you think you've fixed them.;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. belair

belair

I really don't like those bumpers like P&B posted. They will tweek the quarters a lot worse and easier than a regular bumper.

15. I have lost track of that era Chevy that I have owned. They really do only let you think that you are in charge.

One time my little brother (rest his soul) had a '61 long step side and I had a '62 Short step side. We both beat them to death. I finally did serious damage to my 235 on my way to a fire (I was a volunteer fireman) and we ended up throwing a 396 in it. I loved it.

You have to be careful with a C-10. They are like heroin, you will never be free from them once you own one. That old girl will get under your skin.

That is why you see so many of them with the quarters tweeked. Mine was that way, I tied it to a tree and the missus slowly pulled it forward while I tapped the quarters with a body hammer.

16. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

One picture of the inside before the make over.

Attached Files:

17. I think they were all that color. I got a spare wheel if you need one. probably some turn signal parts as well.

18. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Let me see what I need, I may take you up for some parts.

It runs and moves, all it took was a battery.:D

19. I don't know what all I have but I am pretty sure I still have the turn signal stuff. I have a lot of odds n ends floating around.

20. The most awesome description of a project makeover. Ever. In the history of time! I wish you good luck in turning a mistress into a lady and marry her to the road! ;)

21. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks! You never know what"s going to happen.

22. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Mallory weighed in today and had her first exam. Other then needing a good rub down to get all the years of late nights washed off, she managed to start up and drive around the building. She's dragging her heals and needs a new set of shoes, but she pulled through. Here is the before shot, as she rests before going in for a clean up tomorrow. What else will tomorrow bring, she's feeling better, but not very confident yet!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  23. belair

belair

I had a 3/4 ton 67 with a 327 and a th400. And as Beaner said, they are addicting.

24. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I remember riding around in the winter in a friends 60 scraping the ice off the inside of the window! I've liked them ever since.

25. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

OHHHH Maannnn. That brings back memories. I had a 64 Jimmy short fleet with a 327 and T10. You definately will have an affair with that old girl. I had some of the best times of my life in that old truck. The 283 will bolt right up to the six bell housing!!

Rod

26. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

It's a cold windy day and I doubt it will get above freezing, so the next best thing to do is order a few parts from the warmth of the shop. Maybe next week will be a little warmer, and a box of presents will show up at the same time. I do need to strip and paint the wheels, and get her some new shoes to dance in. The last time these tires were on the road was 95 and you know how styles change. I had some trim rings for another pickup that should fit right on, and some hub caps that have been following me around since the 80's, so lets see how they look on Mallory. The goal is to have her on the road in a month, which shouldn't be to hard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  27. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

It's another cold day with snow on the way. Looks like it will just be unloading the 283 from the bed and thinking about warmer days. Maybe I can get a spot cleared out in the shop to bring her inside today.

Anyone know if the frame mounts for a 250 six engine are the same for a 283?

28. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Still cold and a bit on the slippery side, so not a whole lot of progress happening right now. I did get a couple new tires for the back, and her dirty old boots are now shinny and black. So right now I'm having, "champagne wishes and caviar dreams."

Attached Files:

29. sololobo

sololobo

To know'em is to love'em. My 66 c-10 and I have bonded big time, I just go to a great place when I crawl into "Verla Kay" and crank her up a smile just happens! Cool truck bro! ~sololobo~

30. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

Nice truck. It's interesting that not everyone sees the potential in those. Glad you're saving it.