Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud Pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by esewino, Nov 5, 2012.

1. esewino

esewino

OK here's my deal I'm looking to get my straight pipes as loud as I can. I have a 1 1/2 straight pipe running off a straight six 250 but here's my catch I have a turbo 350 automatic transmission so any tips? I am looking for more pop out of it not sure if cherry bombs, or glass packs would help?:confused:

2. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I'm watching this one.....example: My 55 wagon 235 fentons, straight 2 inch into individual cherry bombs directly under drivers floor then out back to the corners and turned down at 45 degrees was defening. My 50 burb with 250 stock manifold, split 2 feet from collector and duals out to the corners and turned down at 45 (no muffs or silencers at all) has a cool 50's rumble , throaty and hot rod feel. 2 different but similar systems yield totally different results. Replicating an inliner sound with a V8 will be interesting.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Swap in a V8 and a manual trans. :)

4. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Loud pipes are annoying and give me a headache

5. If you want it to pop make sure that you have a leak at the joint between manifold and exhaust pipe. If you put a muffler on it drill a 1/8" hole just before the muffler.

You transmission has nothing to do with the sound of your exhaust. That's like saying I have a fuel leak and I have a bench seat how to I fix the leak. :rolleyes:

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

put a very short cherry bomb type muffler as far to the rear as possible. once some of the internal packing blows out shoul sound pretty good.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had loud pipes, hell for loud pipes and sweet sounding pipes and I'll take the sweet sounding over the other two any time.

In your case i'd just run them straight with no mufflers or some gutted out short glass packs as volume over quality seems to be the quest.

8. Model T1

Model T1

Straight 1 1/2 inch pipes out the rear and replace the bench seat with bucket seats so the sound comes thru the floorboard better.
    In a week you'll want mufflers.
    Loud pipes save lives but drive people crazy!:D

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

It's hard to get a 6 Cyl to sound good even when you use a split manifold, IMO

10. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

You can retard your timing and run the carb too rich. Then you will get a nice poppy sound. You will also burn exhaust valves and damage your car, but it will sound poppy.

On a more serious note, however the engine sounds with straight pipes is just how it sounds. If you want it to sound different, you need to modify the engine. Like increasing the compression ratio, for example. But then you are into a lot of money and time.

11. All American 6

All American 6
    from Sumter, SC

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  12. Model T1

Model T1

My chaos meter just bent the needle! You need to change your hearing aid batteries and go listen to some old cars at the next car show.
    No sweeter sound than a sweet six

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

If you want it louder than straight pipes you need a megaphone at the end of the pipe. Seriously - even a flared end will make some difference.

14. I am glad he didn't want to have it rapping.

Oh I'm a dud with a six, I just want to meet some chix

Like to cruise all day but all they wanna do is play . . .
    Dadut, dadut dadut dut dut.

Wooooord.

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

when you say you want more POP out of it - are you referencing the gay interior decorator (it really pops!!!) definition, or are you really enamored with exhaust that makes popping noises (like a burned valve or an exhaust leak on a junky car?

dj

16. tedster

tedster

Right on!

17. had just straight pipes on my 49 Ford with a flathead 6 and twin carbs and a Red's Header... that was thing was nasty sounding.. But the neighbors and the police didn't like it LOL ! :D have fun, did you check any threads on this matter ..

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The traditional recipe for annoying as many people as possible and collecting tickets with a six cylinder is simply to split the manifold unevenly, like 4 and 2. This adds a staccato that will cause people to hurl rocks at you as you pass their houses, and you will get to hear the greatest of all traditional Cop lines..."Excuse me for a minute, sir. I need to go back to my car for another book of tickets..."

19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Sorry I was always a big block kind of guy.
    No substitute for cubic inches.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

A guy here has a nice '55 with a 6/split manifold. The humanity.....annoying as hell & he knows it. Gets on it everytime he pulls out, whadda prick.

:D

21. Deuces

Deuces

Damn kids!......:mad::rolleyes::mad:

22. I like to cruise out to one of those little country air strips and listen to the piper cubs take off. Maaaan that sounds good. :rolleyes:

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Get an exhaust that goes to "11".

Loud pipes on the street are seriously overrated.

Paul

24. On the track as well my friend. If its loud its fast right?

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

AS for the 'automatic transmission', I wonder if he knows how to gear it down...(shift to a lower 'range' to back 'er off, rapping the ... Pipe.

Run duals, and as Bruce pointed out, splitting them up unevenly. (guys out here used to even split 'em 5-and-1!) Sounded like crap...er, Rap! (to us V8 guys)

"Hey Billy! Rap out your PIPE!" (actually said to Billy Souza, before he got the manifold split on his '46 Fleetline...Santa Clara, 1955)
    There was NOTHING ranker than a single exhaust!

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

would you look at that, I went and forgot the first rule of "badass" hot rods. It will not happen again,sir!;)
    Paul

27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

WHAT DID YOU SAY? The way I see it if you have loud pipes the wife won't ride with you, and you don't have to worry about a radio either! I would rather listen to my flathead anyway.

28. There is nothing more fun than quietly motoring past a loud 15 second car. :D

Here is a trick to running an automajic, shift it manually rev it up tight and lift between shifts.

Hey mike,
    Remember when rapping meant two people talking?

29. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

do folks complain about loud harley's like they complain about rapping pipes on an old car? i enjoyed my '51 that would sound good while shifting, once it hit 3rd, i wouldn't even hear anything.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...I think so...Now they call it 'music'...