Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fords instrument panel resistor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcs64, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jcs64

jcs64

So im working on getting all my gauges to work on my '51 plymouth.
    Im now into the gas gauge and sender circuit and things seem weird.
    Im running 12v into the IGN. side on one of those resitors that Ford used on there gauges (yes the res. is grounded) and the output wire goes to my gas gauge.
    Now when I power up and ground out the sender wire the gas gauge starts Flicking wildley from full to empty and the IPR (instrument panel res.) makes a clicking noise to match. (I even wired in a resistor to simulate a 1/2 tank condition, and the gauge noticed it, but was still flicking between 1/2 and empty w/ about a 1 second pause in each direction, like a turn signal flasher)
    If I DONT ground the IPR to the dash it seems to work (w/ no flicking) but it looks like theres still 12v coming out of it.

Anyone using one of these that can point me in the right direction?

thanks, Jeff

2. F&J

F&J

Those volt "regs" are called vibrator type. They go on and off and the gauge runs on the "average" voltage during the cycle.

Some gauges cannot work with that type reg. You'd need a stable, non fluctuating power source like an Integrated Circuit Reg. Those little black chips with 3 wire legs sticking out. Called Runtz also.

3. F&J

F&J

Like this one on ebay. When buying these, you need to look at input voltage as well as the 6v output, also look at the amps or milliamps. 500 milliamps would be 1/2 amp load capacity. The one in that link is 1 amp

I also saw one on there from Radio Shack, but input voltage was listed as 35v, not "up to 35v", so I would ask at Radio shack if it will work with 12-to-14v input voltage.

-Dropout-Voltage-Regulator-Positive-6V-1A-LF60CV-/110940353383?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19d48f7367#ht_3252wt_924

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Go to Oreilly's and buy a 64 mustang instrument panel voltage regulator, simple hookup and works.

5. F&J

F&J

I am pretty sure that is the one he has. Those are not stable 6v output. they blink, like a flasher.

6. jcs64

jcs64

Yup, thats the type Im dealing w/.
    Great info F&J,
    What would you say I need amp wise for just the gas gauge and sender?
    Seems like 1 amp should do it, no?

The three legs on that one , im guessingare 12v in, 6v out, and the other would be chassis ground? Are they marked?

thanks again,
    jeff

7. F&J

F&J

30+ years ago when a rod article did the tech, the only one available at Radio Shack was a 5v one, and by placing a zener diode between the center leg and ground, would bump it to 6v. So, on that one, ground was center leg.

Now, not all of these are wired the same. I got lucky when I found some odd 6v ones on ebay that were 3.6 amps...and the seller sent me a diagram. I am positive it was not a center ground!

Maybe get lucky with a schematic online, by using the part number? or ask a RS? or get real lucky to find a customer at RS that knows this stuff :) I actually got that diode info that way.

1amp should be fine for a gas gauge.

8. jcs64

jcs64

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. john walker

john walker

found this with a bit of searching.

Attached Files: