Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 700 r4 lock up kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BP Racing, Oct 23, 2012.

1. BP Racing

BP Racing
    from Kyle,Texas

I have a 1987 700 r4 Tranny, I need to install the torque converter lockup kit ,I have found different types, Im running a 3000 stall converter also, who make the best or most user friendly kit. I really dont want a switch that I have to flip on everytime im driving and lock up the converter. I was told that all my valve body needed was a 5/16 ball install in the valve body only? Im not to sure about that. Any help would be nice. Thanks Bill

2. I think that painless wiring makes a kit to do that, it should work off of vacuum.

3. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Bowtie Overdrives makes a nice kit for carb and wiring. Worked good for us.

4. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

i used the B&M programable style in my 56GMC. works real good with on/off switch as well as indicator lights and dial for setting lock up. i'd buy another.

Darkharts likes this.

5. BP Racing

BP Racing
    from Kyle,Texas

Thanks For the Info, I also saw a setup that only uses the speedometer mph and is preset between 42-47 mph. It has a sensor inline on the cable between the transmission and the speedo. Anybody tried that style? I think its made by Ron Francis.:)

6. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

OK, I'm gonna tell you how to get lockup on a 700 with just a very small mod to the valve body.
    No pay attention, cuz I'll only say this once :)

1. Plug off all the pressure switches except for 4th gear pressure switch circuit.

2. Make sure the 4th gear pressure switch you get is normally OFF, and it must be a 2 PRONG design.

3. Now: run a hot line down to the trans, through the connector, straight to the lockup solenoid on the HOT side.

4. THEN: on the GROUND side of the lockup solenoid, run it to the 4th gear pressure switch, then other side of the 4th gear pressure switch to a ground.

5. Then: PRESTO instant lockup when overdrive comes on, and when overdrive comes off, TCC turns off.
    All by itself, no kits, no garbage, and NO BUCKS!!!
    My free tip for the day. Quick, Easy, AND FREE!!!!

7. eddie1

eddie1

I am very happy with the one I got from Bowler Transmissions. Very easy to install & happy with the way it works.

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what happens if you don't run a "lock-up" kit? and if they are nessary, would'nt they have been designed with one in the first place? i'd love to know more about this myself.

9. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Lockup (TCC) is necessary in a 700 to keep the heat down in overdrive. Without it, you'll overheat the trans and cook it.

This was one of the main causes of trans failures in the early 700 days. The TCC would quit, and it would overheat and die.

Just do what I oulined above, and you'll have lockup (TCC) automatically when the trans shifts to 4th.

You don't need no fancy kit, you don't need any fancy builder tricks, just do what I said, and lockup (TCC) comes on with 4th, and comes off when the trans shifts down into 3rd.

If you don't want to use lockup, like for driving around town, just select D instead of OD, and it'll never go into overdrive, and will never lock up.

I run a trans shop, and this is what we do to 700's all the time.

10. They burn up.

They are designed with them and the factory used several different methods across the years. Some are a computer lock up design. The kits take over that function and alow you to be in lock up without a computer.

This rewire idea sounds great

11. The trans is supposed to lock up in third too. How does not allowing that effect the trans? Is there other modifications needed also? Drop milage around town?

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Ditto

13. Fenders

Fenders

Not true in an '87.
    You don't need a lockup, though you may want one:

Quote:
    If you have a 1982-83-84 car or truck never drive it with the wires on the side of the transmission unplugged. This will overheat the transmission on a long trip. On a 1985 or later it is O K to have the wires unplugged, because of a design change made in late 1984. The only part of this transmission that is electronic is the torque converter lockup. You will still have all four speeds with the wires unplugged.
    http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

edited to add: I have a '92 4L60 (i.e. 700R4) in my coupe without lockup, no problems (though I may add a switch in the future).

14. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

No lockup in 3rd makes it basically the same as a non lockup 350.

There is NO adverse effects to the trans. TRUST ME. This is just bypassing all the external controls.
    You need lockup on the highway in overdrive only. You don't need it any other time. The overdrive gear allows heat to build up internally, and heat is the enemy of an autobox.
    Lockup reduces that by eliminating torque converter slip.

Do the wiring change, run a good cooler, and you're good to go.
    you don't need to run in 3rd around town, most people don't. It's up to you. You won't hurt/damage anything by running in overdrive, it'll just be less responsive till you downshift. Same as a regular 700. No bid deal.

Guys, This works. We sell this as a service at our shop. I just gave you a secret that we do in our shop to 700's going in cars that didn't come with an overdrive.
    If you feel like you don't like it or don't want to trust it because it's "free", then by all means send me lots and lots of cash!!!! I need it for my car build!! hahaha

15. I think its a great idea , asking questions isn't " non - trusting" its inquisitive.

16. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

LOL. Just being my a-hole self! As normal.

Im one of these guys who hates spending money. If I see something out there that you spend money on for your car, and I know that I can give you a 1 hour solution at no cost other than a couple skinned knuckles, I'm all over that, like right now.
    I'd expect the same in return.... :)

Now, if someone would only tell me how to get a show quality body/paint job for nothing, I'd be eternally grateful!!! Hehehe

Seriously, any questions on Trans stuff, if I can answer it, I will.

reagen likes this.
  17. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I probably have 40 or 50 700 conversions running around out there with this little change up, and it works.

You don't need lockup in 3rd (think an early THM350). They don't have a lockup.
    Lockup gives you better gas mileage on the highway and cooler running on the highway.

Not having lockup in 3rd might even be a bit better deal from a rodders perspective: more power available right now.

Save your money, try my mod. It works, it's simple, and it's painless and 0 bucks.
    Not often tat happens in our hobby!

E

18. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Hmm! interesting...

19. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Yup. Think it through. It makes sense. Simple, effective, and.... FREE!

20. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

What is meant by "plug off" ?

Thanks

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm just about to start my 30 coupe project for the first time after a 6 year build, and it has a 700r4 from 1988 that has just been rebuilt, i'm wondering if it can be drivin as a 3 speed for the break in/ adjustment period without hurting anything. i'm just not looking for more things to do before i can try starting it. i don't need to get on the freeway, just need to go around the block while i ckeck things out. my aod can be drivin as a 3 speed around town with no problems and i hoped i could do the same with my new 700r4. please inform me! is there a certain click it needs to be in to do this? it's a lokar shifter.

22. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

3rd lock-up is annoying, trust me! And I agree completely with Y-Blokkah...never understood all of the whiz bang high dollar kits. You just need power to the solenoid and 4th gear pressure switch. Easy as pie.

23. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Remove them, and install plugs. They are unneeded.

Some 700s have 4, some 3, some 2, some 1, some even have no others...
    It all depends on the year, make, model, etc. who knows what you have...

Remove them from the VB, and plug the holes with 7/16 pipe plugs.
    Get a VB diagram, or better yet, a 700 manual from ATSG, Transtar, WIT, or someone like that. It'll help you identify the various pressure switches.

It's a no brainier, really....

24. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Yup, it's easy all right, and all automatic if you do it that way.

Yes, you can drive your 700 as a 3 speed. Just make sure you follow the directions for setting the TV cable. Nothing smokes a 700 or worse, an AOD faster than bad throttle pressure.

I used to love it back in the 80s when people would replace their VV carbs with a 2150 on their full size Fords and not reset the TV. 200 miles... Cha Ching,... Tranny overhaul... Like clockwork, every time....Woohoo!
    That helped me pay for my glasstop!

25. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Twitchy, I don't recommend driving any auto overdrive When it ain't set up right. It don't take long to have it end up costing you 20 bucks a mile!

26. 63bigbird

63bigbird

Will this work with a constant pressure 700r? I have one from TCI I am planning on putting into my 54. Also does hot wire going to trans plug into the four prong plug on drivers side?? I'm all in on this but not very knowledgeable on the tranny. Thanks for the info.

27. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have mine wired similar to Y-Blokkah describes. Lock up in 4th gear only but I use a 80's corvette brake switch on mine (has both brake & cruise connections. Use the cruise connectors to unlock trans by touching brakes. Removed all the other switches & plugged them- except OD.
    Been like that for 12 years & tons of miles.

28. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Shouldn't be a problem. Yes on the plug. That's how you get power into the unit...

29. Surprized no one brought up Rebel Wire who is an Alliance member. Plug and play one wire hook-up and won't break the bank either. Works dandy.

30. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Exactly.