Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELPING Fellow HAMB Members Stop and/or Slow Down Possible Car Thieves!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey Guys,
    It seems that in the last little while a lot of cars are being stolen by car thieves so I thought I would start this thread to possibly get HAMB members to share with other members how they can take precautions to protect their rides from possible car thieves. With a lot cars getting stolen all over because of various reasons we need to start to help each other by sharing different ideas to possibly stop or slow down possible car thieves from getting to our iron in our garages, driveways, car shows, or city streets.

Now I know already that some of you are going to say!

If they really want it they are going to get it! (blah blah blah blah blah)!

They are going to use a flat bed tow truck! (blah blah blah blah blah)!

etc!

I agree with you 100%! If they really want it they will get it, but this thread has been created to share and discuss ideas that might help one of us keep our ride from the thieves.

I think with our combine talent on this site that we can share some of our ideas to harden the targets and keep what we have worked hard to build.

J

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

keep it in your locked shop.

live there.

never leave.

have dogs and lots of guns.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Walk around at car shows and see the vast majority leave their keys in their cars. Hagerty Insurance said the most cars stolen were from car shows.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Ok man but sitting in the garage is going to get boring really quick! Might have to play russian roulette with the dog! lolololol
    J

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

WOW! No shit!

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Got one for you guys that is super cheap!

Create a dumbie wiring harness that goes from under the dash throught the firewall and hangs close to the distributor. If you leave your car for a long period of time plug in the dumbie harness into the distributor so the car will just turn over and not fire. If they actually have the ballls to lift the hood to try and figure out why the car they are trying to steal won't start everything will look to be in place!
    J

7. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

1. get a dizzy switch and hide it well

2. get a loud alarm system for the garage door

3. get a battery disconnect that is like a removable key

4. if your going out of town, take a couple of wheels off and leave it on some stands

5. and if your really really scared about it, take the key out of the ignition :rolleyes:

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Pinky,
    What exactly does this thing look like? Do you have a link man?
    J

9. trade the coil wire with the number one spark plug wire. then they wont be able to start it

10. synchro7

synchro7

For car shows, replace the coil wire with one that has had the conductor core pulled out.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

I have an ignition shut off switch, and a starter shut of switch, wired into a remote solenoid, all in red wire. It is not much, but should stop the amateur theives. otherwise she is always covered, blocked in, and the battery is cut off(switch)

12. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

13. The problem with car shows is that everyone lets their guard down and are in the bar when they should have 1/2 an eyeball on their rides. The crooks know this, real funny how they walk away with an expen$ive as hell ride and nobody saw anything.

Sure you can go and do all these fancy tricks which only inconvenience the rightful owners. The only car that is steal-proof is one that is engulfed in flames.

Bob

14. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Attached Files:

15. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Nice Eric! This is what I am thinking don't just use one deterent have 2-3 deterents!

I also have a club that I throw on. Just another obstacle!

J

Attached Files:

16. abc123

abc123

Don't reveal your secrets on a forum that is accessible to the public -- like this one.

17. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

you forget young grasshopper, the master never reveals all of his secrets

18. EdselRich

EdselRich

That's why I use a boot!

19. nzhotrod

nzhotrod
    from Auckland

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't forget to protect your ride while out chasing parts, spectator at a car show, etc.
    last year, in local area, ride stolen from a locked garage behind a locked fence and stole the neighbors truck & trailer to haul it away with. not always good to brag that you are going out of town, etc. but, OK to post on facebook - Ha!

21. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Found this one on Yogisinc.com website. It is a lot cheaper. $39.00, and just as good.

Attached Files:

22. 327Eric

327Eric

on my Henry J, i am going to do a sequenced switch panel with a hidden keyed cutoff. More room to play with a less than stock interior. And no, I am not revealing all my secrets. I am just a Bastard after having the El Camino broken into- the above mentioned(post 11) saved her, but not the ignition switch, and the Henry J had 2 attempts, as a non runner. Stupid thieves(thank God) blabbed about stealing my car, and in the one horse town where I lived, word got back fast. No more storing anything at a friends place.

23. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

You really using one of those boots? How much did it cost ya for one of those things?
    J

24. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

ahh very good. honestly I just hit the first link that came up after a search. they all do the same thing though as long as you USE THEM CORRECTLY. a theft deterrent is only good if you remember to use it.

25. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

26. Get an 8 year old daughter with an itchy trigger finger :)

[​IMG]

27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is the ticket! Lot cheaper!

28. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

lolololololololol

29. i was at the kalamazoo show this year and saw a car in the hotel parking lot that had his steering wheel removed. i thought that was a great idea as my car is set up to take off the wheel just by pulling a pin. so i took off my wheel and put it in my room with me for the night. also have a cut off switch and door locks. i park in a alarmed shop protected by a doberman and gun. on the race car all parts were stamped with my car number in several places.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

On Two Guys Garage, Bryan Fullerton had a neat little trick on his motorcycle. What he did was he took an old cell phone, gave it its own battery, stuffed it in the tail fairing with it turned on. For a small fee a month from your service, he said his was a dollar a month, you can have a cheap tracking device similar to a Lojack on your car in the event it's stolen. If it ever gets stolen, then they can use the cell phone signal to triangulate the area the car is in and find it quicker.

Of course, you could hide that set-up somewhere else on your car and not let anyone know about it. Underneath the dashboard, in a secret compartment in the quarters, underneath the car, in the engine bay..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.