Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
296 V8
BANNED

Default Re: Front Brakes

Yes im sure there fine in a light little fenderless car + there out in the wind.

Here’s the bottom line for me …. If you cant stop as fast as the dumb ass in the late model in front of you your on barrowed time … I don’t care how careful and or how much you plan ahead.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #22
pasadenahotrod
Old School HAMBer

Ford offered and used 15" wheels on 47-48 Mercury and many found their way onto 40-48 Fords as they were available from the dealers and junkyards. They accpet the 40-48 style hubcaps and beauty rings as well.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

The correct answer seems to be that 40 ish brakes are acceptable, F100's are an improvement over that, and discs are probably the best in stop tests. I guess it all boils down to what a particular driver expects out of them. Just like bias plies vs radials..........some of us accept the oddities of bias plies and consider them just fine, others want the more modern radials for "better" handling.

But if a person wants the very best brakes available, no question 4 wheel discs stop much better than drums or even disc/drum combinations. There is a reason the new Vettes and similar cars don't have drum brakes any more.

Don
online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Ghost of ElMirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
I've never understood the people who say to scrap the stock 40-48 brakes and switch to F100 brakes because the early ones are junk. All I have ever run are the earlier brakes, some with Buick drums, some with stock drums, and my cars stop just as well as my late model daily.

My ex almost rearranged the rear of my 27 years ago when she was following me in her new car and I stopped short for a red light. My 27 stopped like right now, and she was hard on the 4 wheel discs trying to stop as quickly as I did.

And yes, the early brakes fit into 15 inch wheels just fine, even with Buick drums, all I have ever used is 15 inchers myself.

As for the disc conversions, they are ok, but I hate them for one other reason besides looking too new on a fenderless car.......they dust like mad. You are continually cleaning brake dust off the wheels and everything behind them on the car.

Don
AMEN!!! Don is ABSOLUTELY correct and this should be to end of this thread and further more even if you're using earlier mechanical brakes as long as they are properly maintaned they will work fine just like Henry designed them too.

Hey Joe! You have girlfrien Vietnaahhhhmmm!?
GeoffReadv8@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The early 50's Ford pick up truck wheels are 15 in. and have the 5 1/2 in. bolt pattern. They will fit and have the little "nubs" which accept the little Ford hubcaps. 49-51 in. Mercury wheels will also fit, but the little nubs are on the outside and will not accept the little early Ford hubcaps. As for brakes take a look at MT Products 1939 Lincoln (Bendix) brake kits. 49-51 Lincoln wheels are also 15 in and have the 5 1/2 in bolt pattern. They will fit the 40 spindles and are 1/2 in. wider than the 49-51 Merc wheels. They will not accept the little early Ford style hubcaps. If you are going to run radial tires many folks say you should run rims with the extra safety bead.
Just a note to 19Fordy's excellent coverage of wheels:

If using '49-'50 (not sure about '51) Lincoln wheels, the hub cap nub placement looks identical to the Merc, which is 11" diameter. However, Lincoln is 11-1/8", which won't accept the '50 Merc "ash can" cap. Wheel Vintiques made me a pair...one was Lincoln...I had to send them an OEM Merc center.
Should have reversed them myself. (trying to save Roadster building time)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
skidmarks
Old School HAMBer

mid 50"s lincolns had 15" wheels that look like the early pickups but lack the nubs for the hub caps. look close because the rest looks the same. same bolt circle

when looking at the F100 brakes, the 48 to 52 have the same backing plate but a different hub and drum. another cheap swap over is the 48 to 52 has the same king pin size as the 28 to 48 axles and you can use the entire spindle and brakes but you need either the special tie rod end to work with cross steering or if its drag link ad the hairpin steering arm
online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
gasheat

Try www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #28
banginona40

Thanks everyone......really appreciate you all chiming in.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
48bill
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Padasso View Post
ECI sells a disc brake kit for this application for $450. Anyone had any experience with it?
Have used them on a 47 Ford pickup, a 48 Ford pickup and a 48 Chev convert. All have saved me in a least a couple of panic stops.
26 Ford Modified Roadster (on the road fall 201? ???)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #30
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
After doing up the 40 coupe for my dad w 40 brakes id never do it again.
I took the thing out (brakes all new) on a test drive and wound her up to about 80 and climbed on the brakes …. I didn’t think it would ever stop.
They grabbed good for about 50 feet and then sped up like I was off the brakes.
If you cant see um ……… put discs on
If you can see um ………. Truck or Lincoln drums
All brake shoes need to break in and wear to the drums. Brand new shoes will not stop as well as they do when they seat to the drums. The high spots on any shoe will take a little mileage to get the best stopping power when the entire surface area of the shoe is used.