Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The 'Barn Find' is not dead my friend...

As a mere mortal who happen to stumble on a '32 3w body along with a friend that was stored in a semi truck trailer some time ago and driven into a field, I can attest that they are indeed out there and ripe for the picking! We recently sold the car but the day we found it is gonna be a day I remember for a long long time. Keep looking!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
hugh m

Having just spent a weekend in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. I was reminded of the time my then boss and I retrieved a 1907 Cadillac from a carriage shed / garage there back in the seventies. It had been sitting since 1911, and had obviously seen quite a bit of use. I thought the selling price of $5000 (if I remember correctly), was too much. My boss got it running the next day, and soon after it was appraised for $18,000. Must have been the solid white tires.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Rickybop
Old School HAMBer

We live out in the country, and often go for pleasure drives. Lots of old farms out here. Didn't take long for my wife to catch on to the idea of hidden treasure. Now, when we pass by an old farm, even she wonders out loud..."What's in yer barn, Mr.?"
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
czuch
Alliance Member

I went "Glassing" with a friend for deer season. I didnt see any deer, though he did.
I saw aloooooot of old cars though.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #25
SAM123

Heck, I will help friends clean up their barn find just to have to joy of rubbing on it! ... love has no bounds.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Hotrodhog
Grenade Inspector

Back in 1984 I was dating a gal from North Dakota and she told me her Dad wanted to sell an old car...she had driven it a couple of times to school when her car was broke down but didn't remember what it was other then it was a Chevy...when we got there, we opened the barn door and it was a 1937 Chevy 2dr sedan with 57,000 miles!! It came with the original sales reciept & owners manual in the glove box, crank and spare still in the trunk. Trying not to be too exicted, I asked how much? He wanted $3500....ouch, that was a lot at the time for me....but I worked out a deal, changed the oil, repacked the front wheel bearings, and drove it 250 miles home at 50 mph and 20 mpg!! I still have it in the same condition I found it in....the pic is with the car dolled up for our wedding in 1996
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37-1.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1755246  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
Jkustom

My first car was a "garage find" I guess.. well, actually maybe not, since I knew it was there all along?? Either way, original owner 56 Buick Special wagon. Parked in '75-76, I bought it in '96 and it didn't move an inch between those two events. 100% complete and original. Just how you want to find them. I think I blew most of my good car hunting luck right out of the gate!

"Thanks for the big burnout you done leaving JCustom,they heard it on the third floor." - Hambandy
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
34 GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh m View Post
Having just spent a weekend in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. I was reminded of the time my then boss and I retrieved a 1907 Cadillac from a carriage shed / garage there back in the seventies. It had been sitting since 1911, and had obviously seen quite a bit of use. I thought the selling price of $5000 (if I remember correctly), was too much. My boss got it running the next day, and soon after it was appraised for $18,000. Must have been the solid white tires.
Something similar happened to me in the early 70s too. Old farmer in the outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne gave me a free 1929 NASH twin ignition sedan ( basket case ). In the shed he had a 1911 Renault speedster hanging from the rafters. I shall never forget that day. Since then i have had my fair share of barn finds. Never did get the Renault.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
The Continental
Grenade Inspector

My '62 LCC was in a shed for 20 years. They're still out here.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
Bugsy

Man....you hit the nail on the head!! Talk about descriptive writing!!!! Well done as always.

The "Dust Bowl Spl."

Old 10-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
kyvetteman

About 15 years ago my insurance agent came to the house and noticed all the old cars and trucks lined up along the driveway of my place, and mentioned that he knew where there was an old car in a shed the next little town over, and so far he was the only one that knew about it other than the owner... Needless to say that really got my attention!

I bugged the crap out of him about it until he sweet talked the old woman into letting us take a look at it and I could not believe my eyes; it was a '34 Ford Fordor, last licensed, driven and parked in 1959. Holy crap this thing was a virtual time capsule! Nothing was wrong with it when parked except that her late husband had spun it around in the road in a curve, run it off the road and through a fence late one night and wouldn't drive it after that... very light damage to one rear fender...

She was iffy about selling it and when she finally agreed to she made it clear that it wouldn't be sold if it was not going to be restored to as-new condition. I am a man of my word and probably should have lied my ass off but I knew that wasn't what I was going to do with it so I didn't get to buy it.

Turns out an acquaintance of mine was wiling to lie his ass off and found out about it, fed the old lady a line of bullshit and brought the car home, made a street rod project out of it and sold it.

For me that's the one that got away, but at least I got to be there when the door was opened for the first time in 40 years and it was incredible!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
seatex

how true. I went to pick up a leaded glass window for my wife she found on CL, and just casually asked the guy if he had any old cars, porcelain signs, other antiques, etc., and his answer was "yes, yes, and yes......"
ended up with numerous old stuff from a barn out back, and there was a Studebaker LandCruiser (54 maybe?) behind the barn that I got for $200.00. It's rough, pans are way gone, but the trim is pretty cool and I may just plasma the front sheet metal for a wall hanger (is that a sin?) because it is so far gone......, but damn, I almost crapped myself when I saw it! too bad someone had swiped what he described as a "boatload " of old porcelain signs (mostly grocery related, coca cola, root beer, bread, etc.). if you would have driven by, you would have never even known there was a barn there. waaaaay cool to dig into
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Jive Bomber,
It is the idea that it has been neglected but not thrown away. It was important enough to someone to entomb it so as not to let it go to hell and you have the opportunity to give it back its life.

It also has a down side, how do you personalize something that was that important to someone.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #34
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

I will forever remember this moment. chills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-127S.JPG
Views:	431
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1755338  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
SquireDon

Sometimes I enjoy the hunt & the find more than owning it.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #36
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireDon View Post
Sometimes I enjoy the hunt & the find more than owning it.

yep "its all about the chase"
Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
Cubby
Grenade Inspector

Very well written indeed! Still on the hunt for my first find...

A good landing is one you walk away from. A great landing is one where you can use the helicopter again.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
fur biscuit
Old School HAMBer

obviously there is more to this tantalizing bit of literature...such as the vehicle that stoked the mental juices that created this artistic prose...so wax poetic with some more pictures...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
jfg455
Grenade Inspector

If I procrastinate much longer my O/T muscle car will be a barn find. Been in there 6 years now under a cover. Is it a barn find if it is yours and you just remembered it was in there after X number of years? *sigh*
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
ClarkH
Alliance Member

Even more thrilling is when you hear "Just take it, I need it gone." That's happened to me twice! Barn finds often come to light only after the person who socked it away is out of the picture, and the new owner doesn't have the same level of attachment.